MLS 2024 Project (Hand-drawn) - 5/28 - New Jersey Metropolitans added

PrimalCookie

So, I became a huge MLS (and soccer) fan when Orlando City SC played its first MLS game in front of a sold-out Citrus Bowl in my hometown. Now, as the league has declared its goal of 28 teams by 2024, I will try and predict the kits at this time. The current 20 franchises will be joined by 8 expansion teams (Atlanta, Minnesota, Miami, LA, Sacramento, Baltimore Phoenix, Detroit, St. Louis). I also have a few surprises in store.

RULES

1) This is just a minor pet peeve of mine, but I really don't like how in the country where we call the game "soccer", we use "FC". So, every team that currently uses FC in their name is changed to SC. I know some team names don't sound as good this way (FC Dallas/SC Dallas), but I think it's the way to go for this league.

2) Teams may pick what company designs their kits.

3) Mono-red is kept to a minimum. There are WAY too many mono-red teams in MLS, and I want to change that. It's about the equivalent of red-white stripes in the EPL, or red and navy in MLB.

EDIT: Phoenix now an expansion city instead of Baltimore. I think Baltimore is too close to DC to support a separate team.

TEAM MAP (on a very distorted North America)

image.jpg

ExJworW.png

ORLANDO CITY SC

MANUFACTURER: ADIDAS

SPONSOR: ORLANDO HEALTH

Isn't it fitting to start out this series with my favorite team? I made this design without thinking of making a series, but after realizing I could make it a series I just went with it. Anyway, onto the kits. The home jersey is primarily purple, with white sleeves, purple shorts, and a yellow collar. The three stripes are on the shorts and the purple area of the shoulders, but stop when it hits the white sleeve. The away jersey is mostly yellow, with the same design as the home jersey. I thought about purple shorts, but I decided against it. The alternate is where I made a little changes. It is all-white (no purple sleeve), and is made for one reason: beating the heat. Living in Orlando myself, I would be the first to tell you that it gets HOT in the summer. So, from June to August, the white alternate is the primary home jersey, while the purple is demoted to the alternate. We did this a year ago to DCU (who has black color jerseys), and I swear their players were about to melt after the game. We still lost, but you get the point. Coming up, the most storied franchise in MLS, LA Galaxy! C&C greatly appreciated!

image.jpg

ExJworW.png

LOS ANGELES GALAXY

MANUFACTURER: NIKE

SPONSOR: HERBALIFE

The most storied franchise in MLS history also just happens to have one of the classiest looks in MLS history as well. Their traditional right-to-left (or left-to-right, as you may see it) sash makes an appearance on all 3 kits. I wouldn't call myself a traditionalist, but I do respect the untouchables. LA's sash is one of those untouchables, if not the only untouchable in MLS. Anyway, the home is white with a navy and yellow sash and navy shorts, while the away is a mono-navy version of the home. The alternate is yellow with the sash and navy shorts as well. There are white shorts in the rotation, but I didn't show them because the navy is the primary color shorts for all 3 designs. Coming up, the original powder-navy MLS team, Sporting Kansas City! C&C is appreciated. 

image.jpg

ExJworW.png

I like both of the teams so far, very good for being hand drawn. Have you thought about using a template? Also, will we see crests? Other than that, good job with the uniforms. 

2 hours ago, ~Bear said:

I like both of the teams so far, very good for being hand drawn. Have you thought about using a template? Also, will we see crests? Other than that, good job with the uniforms. 

I won't be using a template, I thought about it but I decided not to. Thanks for pointing out crests, I completely forgot to do them.

ExJworW.png

50 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I won't be using a template, I thought about it but I decided not to. Thanks for pointing out crests, I completely forgot to do them.

Just a question. Why won't you be using templates? They make concepts look so much better. 

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

5 minutes ago, Uglybus said:

Just a question. Why won't you be using templates? They make concepts look so much better. 

It's just a personal feeling that when I make my designs with templates, it isn't completely mine. Does that make sense? 

ExJworW.png

7 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

It's just a personal feeling that when I make my designs with templates, it isn't completely mine. Does that make sense? 

Yea. 

image.png 

SPORTING KANSAS CITY

MANUFACTURER: NIKE

SPONSOR: VERIZON

So, it just turns out I was being lazy. I just sat at the table and thought about it for about 5 minutes, and I came up with a combine-the-eras shirt with Kansas City Wiz rainbow and black colors on the new home jersey design. Anyway, the crest doesn't change, as I like it a lot. However, I've always wondered why SKC has hoops in their logo but never used them on the home jersey (although they did on the away). So, naturally, I changed that. The home shirt is mainly navy with powder hoops. I did not recolor the Verizon logo, as I feel they would not recolor in real life. The away jersey is white with small navy and powder hoops coming from the left side of the shirt. The alternate, as I said before, is a combine-the-eras jersey. Coming up, the first expansion team I will do, Arizona Scorpions SC! C&C is greatly appreciated.

image.jpeg

ExJworW.png

I like the home and away. I understand the story behind the alternate, but I'm just not crazy about it; the black and rainbow don't really go well together IMO. Overall though, good job. 

Just a critique on your template: Try making the sleeves thinner, and less curvier. My hand-drawn template (for when I'm doodling around) has sleeves coming straight out, as if it was laid out flat on a table. If they are at a 45° angle that works too.

Sporting KC looks good. 

image.png 

23 hours ago, Uglybus said:

Just a critique on your template: Try making the sleeves thinner, and less curvier. My hand-drawn template (for when I'm doodling around) has sleeves coming straight out, as if it was laid out flat on a table. If they are at a 45° angle that works too.

Sporting KC looks good. 

Thanks for the advice, I'll try out a new look with Arizona.

21 hours ago, BengalPumaOcelot said:

Nice concept, all of the teams look good so far.  I hate to be the one to say it, but Verizon uses a new logo now.

Thanks! I completely forgot about the new logo, because at least in the Orlando area all the shop signs and data cards still use the old logo.

ExJworW.png

For Kc, the stripes on the logo create the border between kansas and missouri, thats the symbolism. I don't know why you have verizon as the sponsor because they aren't in real life. The black and rainbow is from the early wizards days in the 90's for people wondering. Gotta have a light blue top for home, navy would be a good away

22 hours ago, Aggie12 said:

For Kc, the stripes on the logo create the border between kansas and missouri, thats the symbolism. I don't know why you have verizon as the sponsor because they aren't in real life. The black and rainbow is from the early wizards days in the 90's for people wondering. Gotta have a light blue top for home, navy would be a good away

I know Verizon isn't the sponsor in real life, but I think it fits better than IvyFunds. The problem I have with light blue home/navy away is because they've done that a lot and I want to change things up. Now I can't unsee the border between the states in the logo too, that is pretty cool.

ExJworW.png

ARIZONA SCORPIONS SC

MANUFACTURER: ADIDAS

SPONSOR: CHASE

The first of 8 expansion teams, I present the Arizona Diamondba- erm, I mean the Arizona Scorpions! I actually didn't notice the similarities in color scheme until I was done with the away shirt, I guess I just added powder to an already solid look. Anyway, I tried a new sleeves-out template, how does it look? On to the kits. Arizona has the same problem as Orlando (and Miami) as it being incredibly hot in the summer. So, I made the white the full-time home, instead of just part-time as with Orlando. So, they have a very simple design on all three kits, with all-white at home, sand away (this really does resemble a Dbacks concept) and powder alternate, because why not. Next up, the New York Red Bulls New Jersey Metropolitans!

image.jpegEDIT: Sorry for the horrible image quality

ExJworW.png

A few thinks, 

1) Great work love the ideas.

2) Please don't rename NYCFC to NYCSC it doesn't flow well plus Man City/CFG (City Football Group) won't allow it.

3) Maybe I missed but can we get some story on what has occurred from 2016-2024. You know who won Championships and what not. (Also if you do this can you base it off current league trends and make as unbiased as possible so no OCSC dynasty)

Archived