MLS | Salt Lake City Highlanders Brand Identity (Real Salt Lake) – COLOR SCHEME, DRAFT #7

Go Red Sox!

Hi guys, here is my latest rebrand, a brand identity concept of MLS Real Salt Lake.

I've never really found the team's name and identity very suitable for an American soccer club, specially not for one being based in Utah. There was a time when fans actually hated the current logo and name of their club a lot more than nowadays. I guess most fans just got used to it throughout the past years. 

However, I decided to rebrand the team's logo package my way. Gone is the European name and crest, plus the colors. The logo now looks more American style and the team's name has changed from Real (Royal) to Highlanders, a popular name suggestion among fans which nevertheless couldn't convince the ownership to get rid of the Euro football homage eventually.

A look at Real Salt Lake's current mark: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/39441222010/Real_Salt_Lake/2010/Primary_Logo

Salt%20Lake%20City%20Highlanders%20logo%

Salt%20Lake%20City%20Highlanders%20prima

Primary logo detail

Salt%20Lake%20City%20Highlanders%20alter

Alternate logo detail

Salt%20Lake%20City%20Highlanders%20wordm

Wordmark logo on team color backgrounds

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

5 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

The design is flawless. Maybe change up the color scheme to something less similar to the Sounders? 

Maybe keep bits of red and gold in there to jazz it up?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Thanks guys! Yup, it's almost the same color scheme the Sounders have. But my navy is a lot darker, plus the green is different, louder, and I used a third color, gray, to reduce the color contrast between navy and green. However, I'm open for more color scheme suggestions!

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

COLOR SCHEME SUGGESTIONS

How about this? Ice Blue as a third color instead of PANTONE Cool Gray. Draft 2 is a little darker. Two other versions combining Cool Gray and yellow and Ice Blue and yellow.

Color%20var%201%20Salt%20Lake%20City%20H

Color%20var%202%20Salt%20Lake%20City%20H

Color%20var%203%20Salt%20Lake%20City%20H

Color%20var%204%20Salt%20Lake%20City%20H

I like 3 the best...really I mainly like the gray over the ice blue.  Colorado already has a mountain-y logo with a light shade of blue. 

Beautiful work by the way.  Love the mountain renderings and the way you've given the logo depth with the wordmark treatment on the full logo.  The alternate logo and wordmarks are great too.

20 minutes ago, BKarchitect said:

I like 3 the best...really I mainly like the gray over the ice blue.  Colorado already has a mountain-y logo with a light shade of blue. 

Beautiful work by the way.  Love the mountain renderings and the way you've given the logo depth with the wordmark treatment on the full logo.  The alternate logo and wordmarks are great too.

Good point.

Thanks a lot!

I, for one, have never gotten over my displeasure with how the team's management pushed aside the fan's wishes for their Euro-wankery. Though, I dont complain about it on the internet now as much as I did then.

This logo hits pretty much all the highlights that I wanted from a Highlanders identity, short of featuring a Claymore inspired secondary.

Fantastic work.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

As a resident of Utah, Real Salt Lake is the team that I take pride in. I didn't see anything wrong with their jersey or logo before but yours would be a huge upgrade!!! Nice job! 

12 minutes ago, SplashBoogie said:

The wordmark just keeps screaming Charlotte Hornets font to me.

1440_charlotte_hornets-wordmark-2015.png

I'd be interested in seeing gold take a more prominent role. The gray and ice blue neither do anything for me to help the logo pop

Pure coincidence. I was looking for an angular, "rocky" typeface. The spikes left and right were a last-minute idea. 

What about a yellow stroke instead of gray?

Color%20var%205%20Salt%20Lake%20City%20H

8 hours ago, Go Red Sox! said:

Pure coincidence. I was looking for an angular, "rocky" typeface. The spikes left and right were a last-minute idea. 

What about a yellow stroke instead of gray?

Color%20var%205%20Salt%20Lake%20City%20H

This with the ice blue instead of gray I think would be pretty boss

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

Okay, here's the 6th draft with a yellow stroke and Ice Blue replacing Cool Gray, as SplashBoogie suggested. Ice Blue is a touch darker now and more saturated (PANTONE 291 C). Opinions?

Color%20var%206%20Salt%20Lake%20City%20H

54 minutes ago, SplashBoogie said:

Put that crest on a kit it's golden.

Thanks, SplashBoogie!

More opinions on the different drafts?

On 10. Juli 2016 at 5:32 PM, mattb6 said:

I'd like to see the green replaced with the maroon they use. 

You're referring to my original version (navy, green, gray) or to one of the six drafts?

Great depth in this logo. I personally like the simpler color scheme without yellow since the color distribution is consistent throughout. The last version with yellow and icy blue together seems like palette overkill to me. The only thing that seems off is that the vertical leg on the right side of the L is rather high, but maybe you like it that way. Like always, very crisp and clean!

1 hour ago, Go Red Sox! said:

You're referring to my original version (navy, green, gray) or to one of the six drafts?

Probably the sixth draft so it's the color scheme Real Salt Lake uses. 

spacer.png

Archived