Maryland-Rutgers football rivalry?

CrimsonBull9584

They're division rivals but it's not anything like Penn State vs Pittsburgh. I think both schools look at Penn State as the bigger rival, though with Michigan squeezing into New Jersey Rutgers may start to consider them their main rival. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

They're division rivals but it's not anything like Penn State vs Pittsburgh. I think both schools look at Penn State as the bigger rival, though with Michigan squeezing into New Jersey Rutgers may start to consider them their main rival. 

That's a laughable statement. 

Which part? Michigan? In reality yes, but Rutgers does seem them as a recruiting threat since they poached the top player in New Jersey last year, so much so that they went out and brought Ohio State in to run a camp right down the road from the one Michigan was running, though I think the fact that Ash was at Ohio State played a larger role in that as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think this is definitely true in Maryland's case, particularly since Penn State has always recruited well in Maryland.  The two games since Maryland joined the B1G have both been close and pretty chippy, so I believe there is a good chance of a decent rivalry developing.

As for Maryland-Rutgers, I think they would both need to rebuild before anything develops.  Right now, they are both basically just another team in the division . . . and not nearly as noteworthy as Michigan, Michigan State and THE Ohio State University.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

7 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I think this is definitely true in Maryland's case, particularly since Penn State has always recruited well in Maryland.  The two games since Maryland joined the B1G have both been close and pretty chippy, so I believe there is a good chance of a decent rivalry developing.

Up until Ralph Friedgen came to Maryland and made them relevant during his tenure, I would often hear that the best football players from Maryland went to Penn State when I was growing up.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Maryland has placed a significant emphasis on recruiting in the DMV (District/Maryland/Virginia) recently.  It has been paying off on paper for this year's class and next year's.  Hopefully it will also pay off on the field.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Nobody in the B1G considers Rutgers a rival.  Sure we all wish they would just go away, but that's because they are a drag on the Conference.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

13 hours ago, rams80 said:

Nobody in the B1G considers Rutgers a rival.  Sure we all wish they would just go away, but that's because they are a drag on the Conference.

You'd better not feel the same way about Maryland!  Fear the Turtle!

:P

14 hours ago, rams80 said:

Sometimes I feel that way about Purdue.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived