Phoenix Suns Identity Concept

unifaun1973

Hey there,

I have developed a new concept for the Phoenix Suns identity.
It's clearly just a concept so not even close to an entire identity scheme, but the primary logo is pretty much developed.

It's a clear tribute to a couple of my loves: Modernism as a style of graphic design (even if with a contemporary twist) and the Seattle Supersonic (yes, the design take the lead from the same structure of the Sonics classic logo).

To maintain the connection with the present, I kept the two primary colours the franchise is using right now, black and orange.
However, this is something I would like to experiment more in the next few days.

Let me know what you guys think, any feedback appreciated.

Cheers,

Phoenix Suns.png

A quick update about the concept.

I've tried to add some accent colour using a gradient on the ball. I usually hate gradients but this one is not too bold. Anyway, still not sure it's a good idea.
Also switch to purple instead of black, just to give it a try.

I will add some more experiments in the next few days and hopefully I will expand the concept to a proper identity.

P.S. - I know that the woodmark it's quite simple compared to usual sport logos but the idea is to design a simple and clean identity instead of the usual "in your face" ones.

Phoenix Suns_01-01.png

Remove the gradient. It looks too cheesy. I'd try a different shape for the sun points, I'd doesn't really look like a basketball logo with the straight lines, looks more like a brand of appliances. I'd try something more pointy. But you have a good start. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

On 7/12/2016 at 10:43 AM, Germanshepherd said:

Remove the gradient. It looks too cheesy. I'd try a different shape for the sun points, I'd doesn't really look like a basketball logo with the straight lines, looks more like a brand of appliances. I'd try something more pointy. But you have a good start. 

I'd keep the gradient but swap out the rays. It looks like an electric company logo with those there right now.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I absolutely love the overall concept, especially its simplicity and cleanliness.

I will echo the comments of many other commenters:

-While in this case, I really like the gradient effect, it may be worth considering removing, expecially in the name of "simplicity".

-The rays could take different shape.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Thanks you all for your feedbacks. I've been quite busy with my job but as I said, I will go own with the concept and develop a complete new identity for the franchise.

Now, a couple of thinks:

- I appreciate all the feedback about the gradient and others about adding some trim etc... 
However, I would like to keep the identity as simple as possible and maybe line it up with what the Raptors and Nets have done recently, keeping an eye on "daily fashion" and not necessarily just "sport fashion". So, I would probably will not develop any other layer in term of colors and accents and take away the gradient.
- Said that, as much as I like a simple Helvetica woodmark, I see that a lot of feedback have run around using a different typeface. So, I've tried to find a simple one but a bit more "sporty". I also think it has a nice retro feeling, going back to the typeface the Suns used in the 90s (especially that specific N shape...so you can read SUNS both ways).
- Finally, yes, I see your points about rays...even if they are part of the concept as they line up with the lines on the basketball, I have decided to explore a different shape. But I kept it simple.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the result. I will probably have a play with that letters H and E has I'm not completely happy with them.

More updates soon.

Phoenix Suns_02-01.jpg

A quick update following some thoughts I had, sorry for the double post.

I was actually thinking about that feedback saying that it was difficult to get over the fact that the logo is so similar to the vintage Supersonics one. As I said, I've basically took over from that structure so it's something which doesn't bother me.

However, while I was doing the changes I posted earlier, I had a play around with the basketball and came out with an alternative version which made the design even more simpler. I thought I wouldn't have published that but it's now growing on me so I'm kind of curious to see what people think.

You got to give the people what they want.

Cheers

Phoenix Suns_03-01.jpg

Should of kept it black and orange since there is no NBA team using the black and orange colors. Since Sacramento adopted purple/violet for their prime colors making it look good with silver, Phoenix should try to finally go away from purple. Maybe try out Maroon like the symbols around Phoenix/Tempe, Arizona area!

Hello everyone,

Latest are that I decided to go on with the latest design I posted on this topic.
I fixed slightly the design (made the rays a bit wider and adjusted the color palette). I'm attaching it below for references.

PhoenixSuns_primary_logo.jpg

I'm kind of going on with this concept (at the moment I'm designing an alternate logo and the separate woodmarks) and at some point I will structure everything into a proper presentation. For the moment, I wold like to use this post like a team work session so I'm throwing to the table a couple of mockups I realised in the last two days for the game uniforms. Again, they are a starting point but I will not mess around too much with them. The idea behind them is, again, simplicity and a vintage feeling, especially in the collar design and material (check the full size image for details). So, no crazy big logos or weird geometric patterns.

As usual, would love to have feedbacks and suggestion in order to move forward.

Thanks.

PhoenixSuns_home_kit.jpg

PhoenixSuns_away_kit.jpg   PhoenixSuns_away_kit_back.jpg

PhoenixSuns_alternate_kit.jpg

Archived