Canadiens announce AHL affiliate (IceCaps) moving to Laval, QC for 2017/18 season.

The Montreal Canadiens announced today that they're relocating their AHL affiliate, the St. John's IceCaps, to Laval, Quebec after next season (2017/18), and have launched a name the team campaign.

98u89h6905 h635h56j3j7.png

So what should the name of the team in Laval, Quebec be?

Laval Voyageurs would be my choice.

47 minutes ago, nas1787 said:

St. John's can't catch a break. Maple Leafs, Jets and Canadiens have all moved affiliate teams out of the city over the years.

Yeah, it's a shame. Toronto Maple Leafs' farm team the St. John's Maple Leafs were the longest lasting AHL team in the city, lasting from 1991/92 - 2004/05. But then again, the city has a real shallow history of hockey teams. Maybe time for another QMJHL team in the city?

98g5u489j89h65.png

(^^FYI a few teams in the above screanshot from HockeyDB search results were erased because the were college teams from the US^^) 

1 hour ago, nas1787 said:

St. John's can't catch a break. Maple Leafs, Jets and Canadiens have all moved affiliate teams out of the city over the years.

I think this was a known eventuality months ago.  Talking heads suggest the salary cap world makes internal player movement more important- what better way than set up in one's own backyard.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

11 hours ago, 2001mark said:

I think this was a known eventuality months ago.  Talking heads suggest the salary cap world makes internal player movement more important- what better way than set up in one's own backyard.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the Icecaps were told from the get go that this was a temporary solution.

The problem is getting to St. John's. I've been once and I live about 20 mins away from Pearson airport. Even then it was hard to get a flight. My buddy from Winnipeg came with me on that trip and he had to fly in the day before and join me on the flight the next day. If I recall Air Canada didn't even have a flight in the 3 day frame we were looking to get there. 

That at least gives you an idea why Toronto and Winnipeg backed out.

I image it'd be easier because there'd be more flights from/ to Montreal due to proximity but I can't say for certain. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 7/11/2016 at 9:25 PM, habsfan1 said:

I'd like to see the city logo make a return and be incorporated in their new look. Just a little more subtly, maybe use it in a secondary logo...

lavallemieux.jpg

I'm not sure a Tetris piece would be a winner these days.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for Lynx because I love alliteration and Lynx is an underused name in sports. Plus it's bilingual. 

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

On 11/07/2016 at 9:25 PM, habsfan1 said:

I'd like to see the city logo make a return and be incorporated in their new look. Just a little more subtly, maybe use it in a secondary logo...

lavallemieux.jpg

If I'm not wrong, the 3D L was in fact the logo of the city of Laval. For which reason they used it on the teams jersey I dont know.

But I'm not 100% sure it was the city logo.

4 hours ago, bleuet said:

If I'm not wrong, the 3D L was in fact the logo of the city of Laval. For which reason they used it on the teams jersey I dont know.

But I'm not 100% sure it was the city logo.

It's on the Laval city flag, so I'd imagine that it's the logo.

But it's actually a really ugly flag. And it's just a little better as a logo... 

432px-Flag_of_Laval%2C_Quebec.svg.png 

It just screams 70's...:wacko:

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived