International Football 16-17

ninersdd

I wouldn't be too worried about the Dutch right now in terms of the qualifying picture. 3 points back of 2nd place Sweden at the half way point... and their next game is against cupcake Luxembourg. I wouldn't panic yet, but if they somehow don't win big, then you might want to start to panic.

I noticed this wasn't mentioned, but the quarterfinal draw for the Champions League happened on the 17th. Here's the match ups...

-Atletico Madrid vs. Leicester City

-Borussia Dortmund vs. Monaco

-Bayern Munich vs. Real Madrid

-Juventus vs. Barcelona

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only watched one Champions League match in my life, but I'm team Borussia/the future or American soccer all the way.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

13 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

I wouldn't be too worried about the Dutch right now in terms of the qualifying picture. 3 points back of 2nd place Sweden at the half way point... and their next game is against cupcake Luxembourg. I wouldn't panic yet, but if they somehow don't win big, then you might want to start to panic.

I noticed this wasn't mentioned, but the quarterfinal draw for the Champions League happened on the 17th. Here's the match ups...

-Atletico Madrid vs. Leicester City

-Borussia Dortmund vs. Monaco

-Bayern Munich vs. Real Madrid

-Juventus vs. Barcelona

I would actually start worrying about Netherlands. They just fired fired Danny Blind because he didn't know how to set up Oranje properly based on their strengths - that was evident v. Bulgaria. Now KNVB has until June til their next WCQ match (June 9 v Luxembourg) but they have no idea who to hire to steer this ship correctly. I think they should Frank de Boer due to his experience with Ajax and developing Dutch youth footballers. He can easily translate that to a senior national side. Yes he had a speed bump with his time at Inter. But I truly believe he could rebound his coaching career and find real success there.

As for UCL QF draw, I see the following clubs going through:

Atletico Madrid v Leicester City - Atletico will brush aside the cinderella club again

Dortmund v Monaco - I see this tie going to extra time in the second leg but I see Dortmund slipping through to the Semfinals due to experience

Bayern Munich v Real Madrid - The quest for repeat UCL winners will come to the end for Real, Bayern are way to strong of late and have been on a strong run. Don't see it coming to end anytime soon.

Juventus v Barcelona - I cannot see Barca continuing on this run. They should have not have progressed through the R16 due to shotty officiating, cheating by Suarez (clear dive), and PSG just couldn't close the door on them. Juventus with Higuain and 1000 match man Buffon will progress through. 

NpTodZP.png

That might be the first time I've seen Higuain touted as a reason for success in the Champions League for the team he's actually playing for, FWIW.

But as to not be a total dick, I'll just say I agree with all of those picks. Bayern/Real should be the best overall tie of all of those, and the difference is probably gonna be that Carlo Ancelotti is the master of this tournament, and Zidane still could use some seasoning. I really like Zidane and his ideologies, but I don't know if he's ready to try and match wits with Ancelotti where the two teams, otherwise, are pretty much equal in terms of on-field talent. Real plays a very cross-heavy style, and it works very well for them. Bayern has the kind of size to be able to defend that better than probably anyone else Real faces. I dunno, should be interesting.

I've only watched one Champions League match in my life, but I'm team Borussia/the future or American soccer all the way.

Dortmund kinda does that, though. They're really good at developing young talent. Just too bad they can't keep most of it. Keep Pulisic as far away from England (and Bayern) as possible. (Also, most Bundesliga games are gonna be at 6:30 or so in the morning, so that's gonna be tough for you, 'mate).

spacer.png

1 minute ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Yeah, it took me a few minutes to find this channel.

I just paid $2.57 to pro-rate add it to my Sling TV package. It's under "Best of Spanish TV," so I also get a bunch of Novela channels. Win-win!

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

BeIN is great. It says "HD" but this it definitely VHS quality.

And the picture matches the field. Yikes, Panama. This is almost as bad as San Antonio.

11 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

BeIN is great. It says "HD" but this it definitely VHS quality.

And the picture matches the field. Yikes, Panama. This is almost as bad as San Antonio.

You spent your $$$, but the terrestrial Telemundo feed is HD.

13 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Pulisic is incredible. 

No kidding. That goal was all him.

Archived