Jump to content

Lower Island Soccer Association - League Wide Redesign


TheHydroPole

Recommended Posts

I've been looking for a large project to do for a while now. I wanted to do something unique that could possibly actually see the light of day. I decided to look locally for some kind of league I could use as a redesign project and decided to rebrand the soccer league I grew up playing in: the Lower Island Soccer Association. Located on Vancouver Island, British Columbia (headquartered in Victoria), the league has 11 clubs from all over the southern end of the island. 

 

To me, there was maybe one or two clubs who had decent logos. I understand this league doesn't mind much on it's branding as it is ran mostly by volunteers. The league itself has an awful brand that uses styles used in the mid 90's. Time to ditch all the gradients and see what my vision of the league and each club is.

 

 

AtMp4gJ.png

 

The new logo features cliche symbols for league logos such as a soccer ball and a maple leaf. I felt this added a very modern look to it and would look good on jerseys, soccer balls, stationary, etc. Clean modern look, just what the brand needed.

 

Next Up: my former club, Bays United FC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I figure no one will comment until I post a team, so here goes. I decided to add sponsors to make this look a bit more realistic. Coast Capital were the sponsors of our jerseys when I was 5 to 10 years old. I will try and keep the sponsors local yet realistic. 

 

LJMcdrv.png

 

 

Anyways, let me know what you think.

 

Next up: Cowichan Valley Soccer Association.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

League Logo: All I see is "LISA" which jump out as a female name rather than an acronym. Maybe you could use "Lower Island SA"????

Bays United: Great kit. I suggest thickening the black lines on the ball and the white lines on the wave and it would be a solid crest.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Whitefoot said:

League Logo: All I see is "LISA" which jump out as a female name rather than an acronym. Maybe you could use "Lower Island SA"????

Bays United: Great kit. I suggest thickening the black lines on the ball and the white lines on the wave and it would be a solid crest.

 

 

It is indeed referred to as LISA, pronounced Lee-za. I don't think that's much of an issue.

 

Good idea on the thickening of the soccer ball and waves. I'll try it out.

 

Thanks for the feedback!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love the LISA new logo, would you be able to tie in the Vancouver Island Flag or something instead of the maple leaf?

 

Bays United is a nice solid logo, too good for an ammo side. The B looks to be lower than the D on the roundel though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, fumbler said:

Love the LISA new logo, would you be able to tie in the Vancouver Island Flag or something instead of the maple leaf?

 

Bays United is a nice solid logo, too good for an ammo side. The B looks to be lower than the D on the roundel though.

 

I originally thought about that, but unfortunately there are little elements I can use from this flag:

 

vancouver-island-flag.png

 

Nice catch with the lettering though! What do you mean by ammo side?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am also a former player in LISA... Former Cordova Bay player actually. League logo, I agree with only really seeing LISA, however I think with the name, it's hard to really do anything with. League logo is simple and clean however and looks good.

 

As for Bays (Trying to keep my personal views aside) logo again is clean and simple which also works well with the Kits. Looks good.

 

Question, are you going to do Saanich Fusion or separate them back into Gordon Head and Cordova Bay? Never liked the merger to begin with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

I am also a former player in LISA... Former Cordova Bay player actually. League logo, I agree with only really seeing LISA, however I think with the name, it's hard to really do anything with. League logo is simple and clean however and looks good.

 

As for Bays (Trying to keep my personal views aside) logo again is clean and simple which also works well with the Kits. Looks good.

 

Question, are you going to do Saanich Fusion or separate them back into Gordon Head and Cordova Bay? Never liked the merger to begin with.

 

I want to keep it modern so I may have to do the Fusion, but I should maybe do Gordon Head and Cordova Bay as extra/bonus teams? 

 

I absolutely agree that the merger shouldn't have happened. I do think it was the only way Cordova Bay would survive though, it barely had a team in my year. That being said, I always loved their colour scheme. I think the problem was that most Claremont players played for Prospect Lake, I believe. At least most of my friends lived on the other side of Elk Lake. As much as I hated Gordon Head, they were way too big of a club to rebrand. Quite a head scratcher.

 

Anyways, nice to see a former LISA player! Thanks for the feedback.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Xamboni said:

 

I want to keep it modern so I may have to do the Fusion, but I should maybe do Gordon Head and Cordova Bay as extra/bonus teams? 

 

I absolutely agree that the merger shouldn't have happened. I do think it was the only way Cordova Bay would survive though, it barely had a team in my year. That being said, I always loved their colour scheme. I think the problem was that most Claremont players played for Prospect Lake, I believe. At least most of my friends lived on the other side of Elk Lake. As much as I hated Gordon Head, they were way too big of a club to rebrand. Quite a head scratcher.

 

Anyways, nice to see a former LISA player! Thanks for the feedback.

 

Agreed. I think the merger was inevitable. I know we combined with Prospect back in the early 2000's but that fell through and I guess they decided that Gordon Head was the better option in the long run.

 

A bonus of those two would be great though and yeah I always loved our club colours as they were unique to LISA. Keep it up and look forward to seeing the rest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Xamboni said:

 

I originally thought about that, but unfortunately there are little elements I can use from this flag:

 

vancouver-island-flag.png

 

Nice catch with the lettering though! What do you mean by ammo side?

 

 

 

Amateur.

 

Could you use the Beaver Tail as a South tie in?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Xamboni said:

I was using the bottom of the crest as a south tie in.

 

The flag is not very common though, plus the beaver is a tacky Canadian element.

 

 

Ok, i'll go back and look at it again.

 

Just like the Maple Leaf? :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

O7itTJv.png

 

This one I didn't have to do much when it came to the creativity of it all. Modernized the crest, got rid of the soccer ball and put CVSA (Cowichan Valley Soccer Assoication) instead. They currently use or at least used to use the CVSA acronym on their jerseys so I figure everyone involved knows what CVSA stands for. Again went for a local sponsor, another credit union. I opted to not use vertical stripes on the jersey as the logo suggests because two teams that are coming up utilize this already. Cowichan actually uses the half and half yellow and black jersey. 

 

Next Up: Gorge Soccer Association

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The crest is looking solid, really simple and iconic, but I have a problem with the jerseys, the whole black back doesn't look good, make the back half black and half yellow and it should look much better.

Overall solid work, looking forward to seeing more from you. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, OliverP said:

The crest is looking solid, really simple and iconic, but I have a problem with the jerseys, the whole black back doesn't look good, make the back half black and half yellow and it should look much better.

Overall solid work, looking forward to seeing more from you. :) 

 

Thanks, friend! See originally I had it that way but couldn't find a way to make the numbers work. I tried with strokes, as well as white numbers and I couldn't get it to look good. So this way I have the yellow ending at the stitch on the side and creeping around the sleeve. 

 

Similar to what the Sporting KC jersey do:

Dom-Dwyer-Sporting-Kansas-City.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.