Las Vegas Aces Concept

TheHydroPole

So I revised one of my old concepts which some of you might have seen on Reddit. Anyways, most Aces concepts I have seen seem to have a spade in it for some reason. I tried to stay away from the whole gambling side of it, but still used it as inspiration to turn an upside down A into a V for Vegas. I tried to really base this around the Air Force, similar to what the Jets did with the Canadian Air Force. Went with a rich red and dark grey look. A lot of double entendres, which we as graphic designers like to do. Anyways, C+C is always encouraged. Thank you!

6Bqpkxs.png

Sorry, not a fan. They will sell a huge number of jerseys that say "LAS VEGAS" on them. Many tourists in town will snap these up. The "V" doesn't look anything like an upside down "A". And what's the point of calling the team Aces if you have nothing that associates with this name. 

But bottom line is the owner is going to call the team "Black Knights" or just "Knights", regardless if they have a contest that picks something else. Jerry Colangelo did the same thing calling the Arizona baseball team the "Diamondbacks" even though the fans voted on the "Scorpions". 

As a Las Vegan, I would love an Las Vegas Aces concept using a fighting falcon as the mascot. Unfortunately, Mr. Foley is an Army man in an Air Force city. I don't see him using any Air Force references for the team. On the branding and marketing side, Las Vegas has to be used to sell merchandise. I don't think Las V would work. The colors you used are great though! I also like the striping.

Also, the citizens (and the NHL) are completely against any gambling references or imagery used for the team.

bedf459f99b08236055cdd8cd2a23a4c.jpg

42 minutes ago, Whitefoot said:

As a Las Vegan, I would love an Las Vegas Aces concept using a fighting falcon as the mascot. Unfortunately, Mr. Foley is an Army man in an Air Force city. I don't see him using any Air Force references for the team. On the branding and marketing side, Las Vegas has to be used to sell merchandise. I don't think Las V would work. The colors you used are great though! I also like the striping.

Also, the citizens (and the NHL) are completely against any gambling references or imagery used for the team.

I understand the hesitancy to use gambling references, and I don't expect Aces to fly with Foley, but how do you feel about the Aces concepts that have focused more on aviation, or have been sort of a blend of the two (I.e. Sparky's design).

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

10 hours ago, Xamboni said:

So I revised one of my old concepts which some of you might have seen on Reddit. Anyways, most Aces concepts I have seen seem to have a spade in it for some reason. I tried to stay away from the whole gambling side of it, but still used it as inspiration to turn an upside down A into a V for Vegas. I tried to really base this around the Air Force, similar to what the Jets did with the Canadian Air Force. Went with a rich red and dark grey look. A lot of double entendres, which we as graphic designers like to do. Anyways, C+C is always encouraged. Thank you!

6Bqpkxs.png

I like the concept, but I don't feel that it is the right look for the league or to carry this team. Maybe as an alt. There's clearly skill here, it would just look out of place up against the rest of the league. Foley has also stated an interest for a bit of a show this doesn't really work with that desire, for me.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I get the reason to use Red and Black since it's the suit colors for playing cards, but it just feels overdone.

The sweaters themselves, just the striping, not the LAS V part, looks like it could be an Ottawa Senators third sweater.

I think the idea of going with Aces for the name, but in the vein of "Flying Aces", is a good suggestion.

This then opens up to many more color combinations.

Maybe even incorporate the ♥, ♦, ♣, ♠ symbols in the package.

Now having said all that, for the concept you created. I think you did a great job, clean and professional. something that a pro team could actually use.

2 hours ago, sgriffin0110 said:

Nice concept, but the red, black, and white scheme is overused in the NHL. Maybe use Vegas gold instead of red since the Penguins are not using Vegas gold anymore.

I guess I should have posted my first attempt as I had used Vegas gold as Foley was reported to using but the feedback I got was that it HAD to be red and black and I had to incorporate a spade. 

Anyways here were the first versions:

iicv89o.png

And a Vegas gold version of the newest revisit:

5ICbPSu.png

Guest darkpiranha

Nice start.  I think you can eliminate the "Las" from it. Vegas is one of the few (if not only) "Los/Las" city names that you can eliminate the prefix and you still have a name that many people refer to the city as.  The Las feels like it's tacked on.  I'm not seeing it as an upside down A.  Try making the internal triangle black as well.  

17 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

Nice start.  I think you can eliminate the "Las" from it. Vegas is one of the few (if not only) "Los/Las" city names that you can eliminate the prefix and you still have a name that many people refer to the city as.  The Las feels like it's tacked on.  I'm not seeing it as an upside down A.  Try making the internal triangle black as well.  

Problem with eliminating the "Las" is that now you are totally losing the connection that makes the upside down A a V. The Las makes people connect that there should be a V there. Hard to put in to words but I think you can get what I am trying to say?

5 hours ago, Xamboni said:

Problem with eliminating the "Las" is that now you are totally losing the connection that makes the upside down A a V. The Las makes people connect that there should be a V there. Hard to put in to words but I think you can get what I am trying to say?

I don't really see that at all. I love the design but the removal of the las would really simplify things and I think would look a lot better. 

9 hours ago, Xamboni said:

I guess I should have posted my first attempt as I had used Vegas gold as Foley was reported to using but the feedback I got was that it HAD to be red and black and I had to incorporate a spade. 

iicv89o.png

5ICbPSu.png

I'd keep playing around with the color scheme, because it's a good design that just needs the right colors. Maybe try some designs with a primary jersey color other than black. 

I think this would be a fantastic design for the new AHL team in Laval (Montreal affiliation) starting in 2017, especially if they are to be called Voyageurs or Voisins (two historically significant names in the region). Replace the "LAS" with "LA" at the top and add "AL" at the bottom of the large V logo, and maybe switch the black for Montreal blue. Overall, I think it's a very slick design, even though I agree with a bunch of people here thinking that it not might be the best fit for the future Vegas NHL team.

On July 14, 2016 at 2:34 PM, Xamboni said:

iicv89o.png

5ICbPSu.png

Looks way better with the gold. 

Archived