"Alternate" Super Bowl Logos (45-49)

AHcreative

As we all know, the NFL royally screwed up one of the most anticipated annual logo unveilings in all of pro sports about 6 years ago when they decided to abandon the tradition of creating a unique Super Bowl logo for each "Big Game" and move to a bland, uninspired, standardized logo. 

After Super Bowl XLV (the first in which the new logo was used) the NFL did come up with "alternate" logos that were used on the official Super Bowl websites and, I'm assuming, various other places. I found out not too long ago when I was browsing the SB50 website (nfl.com/superbowl/50) that if you simply change the number you can go as far back as Super Bowl 42. 

On the banner of each page rests the Super Bowl logo, obviously. But what I found odd was that after SB45, the banner showed the "alternate" SB logo instead of the standardized one. Maybe the NFL is realizing its mistake?

Anyway, I took the liberty of copying and cropping each of the Super Bowl logos from 45-49 for anyone who hasn't seen them or if anyone wants to clean them up a bit better and submit them to the motherboard. A few of them are actually really decent and would have worked perfectly as actual Super Bowl logos. 

Here they are:

Super Bowl XLVI:

Super Bowl 46.png

Super Bowl XLVII:

Super Bowl 47.png

Super Bowl XLVIII:

Super Bowl 48.png

Super Bowl XLIX: 

Super Bowl 49.png

2 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

I wouldn't call them alternates. These were used as the host committees' logos if I am not mistaken. 

No, they weren't. The host committee logos were different. These were alternate logos meant to reflect each location's local flair.

When I saw the title of this topic, I thought that it meant that these were "alternate-universe" logos for Super Bowls from the years 1945 through 1949, presumably between the champions of the NFL and the AAFC.  But I thought that I knew that the AAFC existed from 1946 (not 1945) to 1949; so I was a bit confused.  I then figured that maybe I was wrong; maybe the AAFC did start in 1945.

Then this whole internal dialogue came crashing down when I clicked on the topic and saw that "45-49" was referring to Super Bowls XLV through XLIX.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 7/18/2016 at 11:17 PM, Ice_Cap said:

No, they weren't. The host committee logos were different. These were alternate logos meant to reflect each location's local flair.

This is correct. They were also featured on merchandise and inspired signage around the stadiums as well.

sbxlvii13cos-1.jpg  San-Francisco-49ers-vs.-Baltimore-Ravens

gty_super_bowl_football_XLVII_stadium_jt

f35185c83c76923362fceb7152269b6f.jpg 47%20Brand%20Super%20Bowl%20XLVII%20Fran 185631911_super-bowl-xlvii-47-brand-nfl-

http://nflshop.frgimages.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=/productImages/_1058000/ff_1058653_xl.jpg&w=340

http://nflshop.frgimages.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=/productImages/_1058000/ff_1058655_xl.jpg&w=340

gYH2mW9.png

I don't think, as presently constructed, they would have necessarily worked as standalone primary logos, but that was never their intention, of course. They're all more wordmarks than they are logos (except maybe for the New Orleans one).

That said, these all would've been very strong bases for different primary logos. I used to love the variety of Super Bowl logos in the past - it's something that's been greatly missing from the SB the past 6 years (has it really been that long?).

Archived