Complete Sports Towns

SkyCal

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Normally I would count Tampa Bay in this one for the NBA, but if you toss in Orlando the Central Florida area has all 4.

Yea, Florida is a tough market.  One, you have a ton of transplants that already have favorite teams from where they grew up and two, they already have too many teams.  I personally think Orlando could support an NFL team if there wasn't the Bucs and the Jags within an earshot. 

2 hours ago, C-Squared said:

Buffalo is missing an MLB team, though they went so far as to build a stadium for one in the 30 years ago... weird move for a city without a team.

I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable sports fan.  I even majored in Sports Marketing and Media, however, this is the first time I have heard of this...That is crazy!   What do they use it for today?  Were they even close to securing a team 30 years ago when they decided to build or was it like a field of dreams thing where if they build it, they will come? 

1 hour ago, SkyCal said:

I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable sports fan.  I even majored in Sports Marketing and Media, however, this is the first time I have heard of this...That is crazy!   What do they use it for today?  Were they even close to securing a team 30 years ago when they decided to build or was it like a field of dreams thing where if they build it, they will come? 

Buffalo was in the top 5 for an MLB expansion team in 1988. They build a stadium that holds 20K with expansion potential to 40K & plugged in the local minor league team to prove they could sell tickets - and actually set Triple-A records & outsold several MLB teams that year - but lost the expansion bid to Colorado and Florida.

Greedy owners fleece taxpayers to pay for stadiums all the time, but for a stadium built for a team that didn't exist? Dan Snyder would be proud.

23 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

Buffalo was in the top 5 for an MLB expansion team in 1988. They build a stadium that holds 20K with expansion potential to 40K & plugged in the local minor league team to prove they could sell tickets - and actually set Triple-A records & outsold several MLB teams that year - but lost the expansion bid to Colorado and Florida.

Greedy owners fleece taxpayers to pay for stadiums all the time, but for a stadium built for a team that didn't exist? Dan Snyder would be proud.

They still get plenty of use out of the stadium. It was a fleece, sure, but the standard fleece.

4 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

They still get plenty of use out of the stadium. It was a fleece, sure, but the standard fleece.

I drive past this ballpark almost every day - it could be half the size and still be half empty. SkyCal is right - building a large stadium for a non-existent team is virtually unheard of. No Triple-A team needs a 20K-seat stadium.

18 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Technically San Francisco  doesn't have hockey nor basketball.. So does that fall under Bay Area as a whole or is San Francisco also an option?

I would see them as 1 metro, but 3 different cities so I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

A complete list of those meeting the criteria (and what leagues they don't have):

Metro Areas missing 1 League:

Atlanta (NHL)

Cleveland (NHL)

Houston (NHL)

Pittsburgh (NBA)

Tampa (NBA)

Toronto (NFL)

Metro Areas missing 2 Leagues:

Buffalo (MLB, NBA)

Charlotte (MLB, NHL)

Cincinnati  (NBA, NHL)

Indianapolis (NBA, NFL)

Kansas City  (NBA, NFL)

Milwaukee (NFL, NHL)

Nashville (MLB, NBA)

New Orleans (MLB, NHL)

San Diego (NBA, NHL)

Seattle (NBA, NHL)

St. Louis (NFL, NBA)

Metro Areas missing 3 Leagues:

Calgary (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Columbus (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Edmonton (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Green Bay (MLB, NBA, NHL)

Jacksonville (MLB, NBA, NHL)

Las Vegas (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Memphis (MLB, NFL, NHL)

Montreal (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Oklahoma City (MLB, NFL, NHL)

Orlando (MLB, NFL, NHL)

Ottawa (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Portland (MLB, NFL, NHL)

Raleigh (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Sacramento (MLB, NFL, NHL)

Salt Lake City (MLB, NFL, NHL)

San Antonio (MLB, NFL, NHL)

Vancouver (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Winnipeg (MLB, NBA, NFL)

If you pull a couple of major cities apart from their respective metro areas, a few more options open up, too:

Anaheim (NBA, NFL)

Baltimore (NBA, NHL)

San Francisco (NBA, NHL)

San Jose (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Oakland (NHL)

It is worth noting that the Warrior will be moving to San Francisco within a couple of seasons, leaving Oakland without one.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

16 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

A complete list of those meeting the criteria (and what leagues they don't have):

Metro Areas missing 1 League:

Atlanta (NHL)

Cleveland (NHL)

Houston (NHL)

Pittsburgh (NBA)

Tampa (NBA)

Toronto (NFL)

Metro Areas missing 2 Leagues:

Buffalo (MLB, NBA)

Charlotte (MLB, NHL)

Cincinnati  (NBA, NHL)

Indianapolis (NBA, NFL)

Kansas City  (NBA, NFL)

Milwaukee (NFL, NHL)

Nashville (MLB, NBA)

New Orleans (MLB, NHL)

San Diego (NBA, NHL)

Seattle (NBA, NHL)

St. Louis (NFL, NBA)

Metro Areas missing 3 Leagues:

Calgary (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Columbus (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Edmonton (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Green Bay (MLB, NBA, NHL)

Jacksonville (MLB, NBA, NHL)

Las Vegas (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Memphis (MLB, NFL, NHL)

Montreal (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Oklahoma City (MLB, NFL, NHL)

Orlando (MLB, NFL, NHL)

Ottawa (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Portland (MLB, NFL, NHL)

Raleigh (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Sacramento (MLB, NFL, NHL)

Salt Lake City (MLB, NFL, NHL)

San Antonio (MLB, NFL, NHL)

Vancouver (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Winnipeg (MLB, NBA, NFL)

If you pull a couple of major cities apart from their respective metro areas, a few more options open up, too:

Anaheim (NBA, NFL)

Baltimore (NBA, NHL)

San Francisco (NBA, NHL)

San Jose (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Oakland (NHL)

It is worth noting that the Warrior will be moving to San Francisco within a couple of seasons, leaving Oakland without one.

Awesome list!  Thanks for sharing this.

One note about Milwaukee:  The Packers are lumped in with the Milwaukee TV market as secondary to the Green Bay-Appleton market.  This was done because the Packers played three regular season games a year in Milwaukee until after the 1994 season, when these games were moved to Green Bay as part of the Gold package (for the displaced Milwaukee season ticket-holders).  When TV blackout rules were still in effect, they were retained for Milwaukee TV stations because of the Gold package.  That and the Packers flagship radio station broadcasts out of Milwaukee instead of Green Bay.

At least that's my understanding of it.  Either way, I just saved you a concept ;)

QPR%20Sig.png

1 hour ago, StaatsBrett said:

Never  understood why slc doesn't have a  NHL team 

Primarily it's a combination of no NHL-capable venue and no major intrest from suitable ownership. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they moved up to the AHL, eventually, but the ECHL works for them. In such an LDS dominant city, cheaper entertainment sometimes wins out over more "elite," but also expensive options.

Archived