Jump to content

New WWE RAW and Smackdown Live logos


29texan
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm not a WWE fan by any means, so maybe someone an explain this... Why is it called Monday Night Raw? Raw seems like s strange word that doesn't have any relation to wrestling (I think). Did they do it for the Raw is War thing or for a different reason? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mattb6 said:

I'm not a WWE fan by any means, so maybe someone an explain this... Why is it called Monday Night Raw? Raw seems like s strange word that doesn't have any relation to wrestling (I think). Did they do it for the Raw is War thing or for a different reason? 

 

“RAW” as in “raw and unedited.” The show was a big deal because it was broadcast live in an era when all wrestling shows were taped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On July 25, 2016 at 9:28 AM, mattb6 said:

I'm not a WWE fan by any means, so maybe someone an explain this... Why is it called Monday Night Raw? Raw seems like s strange word that doesn't have any relation to wrestling (I think). Did they do it for the Raw is War thing or for a different reason? 

What is nitro? What is thunder? Very few wrestling shows have names that even loosely connect back to wrestling, the only 2 I can think of is smackdown, and impact which doesn't really count because that is the name of the promotion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2016 at 9:53 AM, C-Squared said:

 

“RAW” as in “raw and unedited.” The show was a big deal because it was broadcast live in an era when all wrestling shows were taped.

 

 

Uh...Raw was taped for years...Hence why WCW could spoil Mick Foley's title change. WCW was live. WWE was not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going back to it's inception, Raw was live about once a month (the rest were taped) until the Monday Night Wars kicked in around 1996.

 

Raw then expanded to a two-hour show and it alternated between live and taped episodes to compete with Nitro.

 

I honestly don't know when Raw went to live airings on a full-time basis. Maybe 2001ish?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the first couple months of its existence back in 1993, Raw was live every week (hence the name), always from the Manhattan Center. The WWF didn't have the budget to put on weekly live TV shows, though, and decided to start taping a a few weeks' worth of one-hour shows at once, and soon thereafter took the tapings on the road. 

 

I think it was in early 1997 that they expanded to 2 hours in order to better compete with Nitro, and they moved to airing Raw live every other week. That's also about the time they renamed the show "Raw is War" and created the titantron and all the other Attitude Era trappings, and the show became considerably edgier. Most of those elements have slowly evolved into what they are today, so I think those 1997 changes are really what helped create "Raw" as we know it today.

 

I think they started airing Raw live weekly in mid-1999, when SmackDown was created. The ratings for live Raws were much higher than for taped Raws, and obviously WCW very famously would spoil the results of taped shows (hence the "butts in seats" Foley incident), and the WWF was at the height of its popularity at this point - the move to live shows weekly was inevitable (and probably long overdue).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2016 at 3:39 AM, Cujo said:

Going back to it's inception, Raw was live about once a month (the rest were taped) until the Monday Night Wars kicked in around 1996.

 

Raw then expanded to a two-hour show and it alternated between live and taped episodes to compete with Nitro.

 

I honestly don't know when Raw went to live airings on a full-time basis. Maybe 2001ish?

 

It was in 1999 when RAW went live full time right after they launched SmackDown 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

are those true mods or just 3d versions?  As long as it says RAM, the Raw one will suck.

 

Also, while the logo just says RAW, it's really "Monday Night Raw".  Everyone knows that.  It works because it has "Monday" right in the name.  They need to do something similar for the Tuesday show, to emphasize that it's now a Tuesday live show rather than just the generic "Smackdown", which has been Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.

 

I dislike the name "Smackdown" for an "important' show (as opposed to Superstars, Velocity, Heat, etc.)  It should be "Tuesday Night xxxxx."  Tuesday Nitro?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.