Chris Sale sent home for cutting up White Sox throwback jerseys

C-Squared

21 hours ago, MBurmy said:

To make matters worse, proceeds might have benefited a charity...so Chris Sale likely stole money from the underpriviliged's pockets.

If this is true, I hope Sale mans up and donates to charity based on the amounts prior White Sox jersey auctions have tended to earn. If he doesn't voluntarily do this, the Sox should consider making the donation mandatory through a fine.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not outraged, and I did laugh, but here's my take:

The MLB, and each of the teams, are a business. As a player, you are an employee. You are there to make money, if the management decides the best way to do that is to put you in an "uncomfortable" promo uniform, that's your job.

If you strongly disagree, take it up with management and see if something can be worked out with the promo or rotation. If they say no, feel free to take it ip with the Player's Association, that's what they are there for. 

With as much money as this guy makes, ruining a team promotion (one that there might be fans looking forward to), just so you don't have to be uncomfortable while pitching one game, makes you come off like a spoiled man-child, throwing a tantrum because you didn't get your way. It's the exact kind of entitlement that is one of the biggest detriments to pro sports. 

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I don't agree with his handling of this at all, but hearing his "apology" it seems Sale did what he could even before Saturday to avoid this. He said it had to do with the jerseys being untucked and he brought this up to the team way back in spring training that he would prefer to not pitch in those. He also reminded the team of this issue on Friday, aware that the promotion was Saturday and that it was his day to pitch. Now what he did Saturday was still undoubtedly wrong but he did do his part leading up to the event. The White Sox front office might have been able to avoid this if they weren't so screwed up as it is.

On 7/26/2016 at 11:06 AM, GFB said:

Trying to muster up all the fake-outrage that I can... and I'm still laughing. I hope a Tigers player does that the next time they try wear their "Tigres" uniforms. 

How about next time they are scheduled to wear a jersey you designed for them? (hypothetically of course)

Yeh, the Sox have had a weird year.  The LaRoche thing, one of Ozzie's bum sons accusing Arrieta of doping, how they started the year looking like contenders, then falling so hard that a la Ozzie before him, Sale's basically daring Kenny Williams to trade him.  Hell, I've seen someone suggest the Sox should leave Chicago for Portland, of all places.  All they'd need is some Shawn Rodriguez style angry posturing and then striking out like chumps.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 26/7/2016 at 11:29 PM, BeerGuyJordan said:

I'm not outraged, and I did laugh, but here's my take:

The MLB, and each of the teams, are a business. As a player, you are an employee. You are there to make money, if the management decides the best way to do that is to put you in an "uncomfortable" promo uniform, that's your job.

If you strongly disagree, take it up with management and see if something can be worked out with the promo or rotation. If they say no, feel free to take it ip with the Player's Association, that's what they are there for. 

With as much money as this guy makes, ruining a team promotion (one that there might be fans looking forward to), just so you don't have to be uncomfortable while pitching one game, makes you come off like a spoiled man-child, throwing a tantrum because you didn't get your way. It's the exact kind of entitlement that is one of the biggest detriments to pro sports. 

I believed the no 1 thing was to play a game and win a chip.

I think it was great to see a player react as a fan would and say these thing suck! sale had the balls to do something about it, and not just be quiet or flat out lie and say he like the uniforms, like the arizona players do.

6 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Yes, players want success but they also need to get paid so they can live their lives and feed their families. In most cases, if you're good at something then you shouldn't do it for free.

bSLCtu2.png

3 hours ago, Thomas said:

I think it was great to see a player react as a fan would and say these thing suck! sale had the balls to do something about it, and not just be quiet or flat out lie and say he like the uniforms, like the arizona players do.

I personally don't like the uniforms, but taste shouldn't be a consideration. Some fans DO like the jerseys and may have come for the promo. If they were beautiful jerseys he destroyed, myargument would be the same.

I can totally understand frustration, but no matter how you spin it, he is an employee. In almost any other job, he would be fired for what he did.

He wasn't displaying cojones or guts, he didn't do it for aesthetic reasons, and he didn't do it for the fans. He did it because he, personally dodn't like them, mainly because they were uncomfortable, which means he's just as likely to do it to something you like, down the road.

There are times when when we, as fans, should applaud players for rebelling, taking a stand, or just being mavericks, in general. Those times are when they are standing up for themselves, the fans, or the game, in general.

This is not one of those times, Sale was only standing up for his comfort and getting what he wanted. This will not be remembered as a defining moment where he became a folk hero, this will be his version of going into the stands and beating a fan with a shoe. This is something he'll be mocked for, for the remainder of his life. All because he didn't want to be uncomfortable.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

3 hours ago, Thomas said:

You do understand that the Arizona players help design those uniforms, don't you?

They may be horrible, but I'm not going to assume that the players are lying when they say they like them.

5 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Yes, players want success but they also need to get paid so they can live their lives and feed their families. In most cases, if you're good at something then you shouldn't do it for free.

LMFAO :lol:

hopefully 10 to 20 mil a year will get that job done

2 hours ago, Bobster said:

You do understand that the Arizona players help design those uniforms, don't you?

They may be horrible, but I'm not going to assume that the players are lying when they say they like them.

No i do not understand that, was it all the players or just a few, i can´t find any names when i do a goggle search, perhaps you can tell us which/what player(s) designed the uniforms , really looking forward to that info. 

There was probably 8-10 players that they showed at a meeting during a Diamondbacks pregame show prior to one of their games earlier this season - 

http://m.mlb.com/ari/video/topic/8069886/v544292783/dbacks-players-provide-input-for-new-uniforms

Their involvement is mentioned here in the section about the pants piping -

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14285664/uni-watch-arizona-diamondbacks-go-rogue-bizarro-new-uniforms

Also at the bottom of this article about the uniforms unveiling -

http://arizonasports.com/story/479618/arizona-diamondbacks-unveil-new-uniforms-for-2016-season/

In the video you'll see Pollack, Corbin, Goldschmidt. Collmenter, Inciarte, etc.

On 7/26/2016 at 8:51 AM, dont care said:

So change the rotation so he doesn't pitch

No.  Chris Sale is paid to pitch, not be a nutbar/2000s Michael Jackson..

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's hard to tell someone that doesn't need to work for you what to do if they really don't want to do something.  In the world today, a good athlete could defecate on an elderly blind lady and be fine.  They either already have millions and could just retire in their 20s, or are so good that Jerry Jones will sign them no matter what the offense.

From the athlete's perspective, he's playing for a championship and (probably more importantly) playing for his next contract.  If he feels that an equipment change will make him look bad and hurt his chances at that pay day, then it's in his best interest to refuse.  In reality, it probably wouldn't impact him at all, but try telling that to the person who's account is at risk.

When you're a pro athlete, you're not simply a guy on the team.  You are your own brand, and you need to do whatever you can to keep your stock up.  I simply can't blame him for refusing to wear a jersey - and I think it's hysterical and ballsy to just cut them up.  The only better end to that story would be had he actually defecated on them.  I think I'd tattoo his portrait on my back had he done that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Promo events and special uniforms typically get special coverage.. Pitching well in that environment would've helped his brand.. Throwing a toddler's temper-tantrum and destroying team property can only hurt his brand.. I can absolutely fault him for that.. He could've just refused to take the field that day.

Archived