Best Identities In Sports

BrandMooreArt

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dont care said:

well teams identities revolve around the uniforms, with logos also being a part as well so they aren't far off, if at all

Yes, but you can also have a nice uniform and not have a strong identity and I'm not sure everyone is thinking identity before uniform. Best uniform isn't always best identity. It's not everyone though, just a general observation of the thread.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:
2 hours ago, dont care said:

well teams identities revolve around the uniforms, with logos also being a part as well so they aren't far off, if at all

Yes, but you can also have a nice uniform and not have a strong identity and I'm not sure everyone is thinking identity before uniform. Best uniform isn't always best identity. It's not everyone though, just a general observation of the thread.

A good identity also includes a cool name; in addition, it includes the intangible -- the general "vibe" or "feel" of the team, and whether the mention of the team name carries some kind of meaning or implication. 

This partly depends on the team's place in its community. This criterion naturally discriminates a bit against smaller leagues.  For instance, several Arena Football Teams have great uniforms -- the Philadelphia Soul, the Jacksonville Sharks, the Cleveland Gladiators; but it would be hard to argue that any of them has a strong identity.  (Though Jaws in in there plugging for the Soul!)   The New York Dragons had uniforms and logos that were better than all of them; but their overall identity was very weak.  Only the oldest Arena teams -- the Arizona Rattlers, the Tampa Bay Storm, and the Orlando Predators -- have identities that mean anything at all.

But teams like St. Louis Cardinals and the Oakland Raiders and the Chicago Bulls tick all the boxes, both in the aesthetics of their uniforms and in the power of their identities.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

43 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

A good identity also includes a cool name; in addition, it includes the intangible -- the general "vibe" or "feel" of the team, and whether the mention of the team name carries some kind of meaning or implication. 

This partly depends on the team's place in its community. This criterion naturally discriminates a bit against smaller leagues.  For instance, several Arena Football Teams have great uniforms -- the Philadelphia Soul, the Jacksonville Sharks, the Cleveland Gladiators; but it would be hard to argue that any of them has a strong identity.  (Though Jaws in in there plugging for the Soul!)   The New York Dragons had uniforms and logos that were better than all of them; but their overall identity was very weak.  Only the oldest Arena teams -- the Arizona Rattlers, the Tampa Bay Storm, and the Orlando Predators -- have identities that mean anything at all.

But teams like St. Louis Cardinals and the Oakland Raiders and the Chicago Bulls tick all the boxes, both in the aesthetics of their uniforms and in the power of their identities.

thats the difference between identity and brand. brand is the intangible; the feelings and associations connected to the tangible things: identity. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Rather than just list the most well-known identities ( Yankees, Raiders, Celtics, Habs) and declare that they are famous, therefore they are good identities, I will give my list of the identity in each sport which i think 1) looks great  2) captures or highlights the team name effectively and 3) has uniforms and logos that are not tied to only 1 generation or fashion style.  Needless to say, the Jaguars, Buccs and Coyotes are not going to make the list.

NFL: Until the most recent redesign and the airline logo they opted for, this would have been the Dolphins with their perfect Aqua and Coral colors and the dolphin/sun logo. But they went and ruined their look so now I am going to say it is the Vikings.  The horns on the helmet, the Viking guy logo, the unique color scheme, the hints at viking ships in the new numbers.  I like every aspect of this look.  Runner Up: The Saints get credit for the gorgeous use of the Fleur-de-lis for both a "Saintly" image and a tie to the city.

MLB: A tough call in a sport that has a lot of traditional looks.  Love the Tiger's D monogram, love the Yankees pinstripes, but I am going to go with the Red Sox for the total package.  The font, the logo with its quirky charm, the All-American color scheme.  It's a classic look that just screams Beantown.  Runner Up: The Cardinals.  The bird on bat logo is undeniably great and the cap STL is also strong. 

NBA: While a part of me does love the classic Celtics look, it is a bit underwhelming too.  So, something a bit more modern.  I'll pick the worst team in the league with the best identity, the 76ers.  Classic Americana scheme for the birthplace of the USA.  Love the old-school feel of their logo, the reduction of the city down to Phila and the use of bright red & blue with stars and stripes.  The team is unwatchable, but the look is a thing of beauty.  Runner Up: Bulls.  Classic logo and clean uniforms, but the red & black looks better on my next team, so only 2nd for the Bulls. 

NHL: The Wild have hands down the best logo, but the name still bugs me (it's an adjective far more than a noun, be honest about that) and eventhough I am not a fan of using Native American names or icons, you have to throw some love at the Chicago Blackhawks.  It is a dignified and colorful logo, on one of the best jersey's in all of sports and it ties in with local culture (not generic like Indians or Braves) so I am all for the Hawks on this one. Runner Up: Minnesota just for that logo. 

NFL: The Packers, Texans, Giants (even though i detest them) & the Bills all count. 

MLB: Cubs, Blue Jays, Orioles, Yankees, Cardinals, Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets & Giants. 

NBA: Celtics, Lakers, Sixers, Bulls, Spurs, Knicks & Pistons all count. HM goes to the Raptors. 

NHL: Canadiens, Maple Leafs, Red Wings, Blues, BlackHawks, Rangers, Devils & Bruins. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

I'll concur about the NHL Canadiens timelessness. Can't deny that. It's well on point.

Can't speak for the rest of the sports - don't follow them.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived