2016 NCAA Football Thread

CS85

6 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Thanks...I think. Anyway, by dumb call, I meant going for two, not the play itself. 

Under the circumstances? Yes. You'd just marched down the field to tie the game. There was no reason to think you couldn't march another 25 in OT. BYU gave up at least one offensive series (probably a few) to try to win the game on one play. In what world is the percentage of success higher for one play than it is for at least 4 (again, maybe more?)

And then he promptly called a time out giving Utah plenty of time to "raise their heads back up." 

Again, the time out gave Utah time to get ready - which they did and we know the result. 

That play may have been the perfect call (it wasn't.) What I thought was dumb was going for two instead of playing for OT. It was dumb. Period. FWIW, I was calling the BYU coach an idiot for even thinking of going for two during the timeout before the play. My reaction wasn't based on the result of the play. I thought it was a bad idea before they'd even decided to try it. 

Having read Twitter for the last hour, tweets from both fans and media, the huge consensus about Del Rio and Oakland going for two to win the game in the last minute instead of playing for OT was that it was "ballsy", "gutsy", "bold" and the like.  No one said it was a "dumb" move.

Interesting how it wasn't called a dumb move...probably because it was successful.  Saying a decision is "dumb" is all hindsight.  End of story.  End. Of. Story.

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Having read Twitter for the last hour, tweets from both fans and media, the huge consensus about Del Rio and Oakland going for two to win the game in the last minute instead of playing for OT was that it was "ballsy", "gutsy", "bold" and the like.  No one said it was a "dumb" move.

Interesting how it wasn't called a dumb move...probably because it was successful.  Saying a decision is "dumb" is all hindsight.  End of story.  End. Of. Story.

How many times do I have to say that I thought it was a dumb move the minute the :censored:-ing announcers said "do they go for the win?" I said to my TV - out loud - no, you take the tie and go to OT. Oakland was every bit as dumb as BYU was last night. I don't care if Jesus Christ showed up and said "Hey, Hedley, BYU was ballsy last night" I'm still going to think it was a dumb move. Now for the love of God, will you please find someone else to chase around? I'm not this interesting.

BB52Big.jpg

8 hours ago, burgundy said:

The call at the end of the OK State - CMU game may have been wrong according to the rule, but common sense would say the officials got it right. The rule should be amended with a 4th down exception. The offense committed a penalty that at any other point in the game would have resulted in change of posession. If the offense were to commit a penalty after any other turnover at the end of regulation, it would count as a defensive penalty wouldn't it? And you can't end the game on a defensive penalty. It sucks for OK State that they got screwed, but the rule needs to be looked at.

should overturn the results of the game.  if the NCAA overturns whole seasons for the most miniscule violations, this game results can.  .  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

3 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

should overturn the results of the game.  if the NCAA overturns whole seasons for the most miniscule violations, this game results can.  .  

Interesting point. Is forcing teams to vacate wins because of recruiting violations (or other things) the same as forcing a team to vacate a win because of an error on the part of the officials? I could see arguments for both sides here.

1 minute ago, rsaline said:

Interesting point. Is forcing teams to vacate wins because of recruiting violations (or other things) the same as forcing a team to vacate a win because of an error on the part of the officials? I could see arguments for both sides here.

Where do you draw the line on officials' errors?  I mean, can a team claim that some holding call (with video evidence showing no holding) in the first quarter impacted the rest of the game?

Can't change the result of the game because the refs messed up.  Now Oklahoma State has a right to be pissed off, but it was also their doing that put themselves in that situation to let a blown call happen.  They had three other ways to run out the clock that are much smarter choices.

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Where do you draw the line on officials' errors?  I mean, can a team claim that some holding call (with video evidence showing no holding) in the first quarter impacted the rest of the game?

Can't change the result of the game because the refs messed up.  Now Oklahoma State has a right to be pissed off, but it was also their doing that put themselves in that situation to let a blown call happen.  They had three other ways to run out the clock that are much smarter choices.

Slippery slope. There are all sorts of calls in any game that could be "blamed" for the outcome.   We tend to focus on the last call but a play in the first quarter could be just as key as the last play.   We cannot go play-by-play and re-determine the winner.

Admittedly, this one gave me a little pause since it added an untied play that should never have happened...but it still opens us up to scrutiny of any calls that went in OSU's favor.  The officials call the game for better or worse.

As an aside, Gundy did a good job taking responsibility. 

As another aside, the rule probably should be that a half or game cannot end that way. A team should not be able to penalty the clock to zero.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

DP

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think the answer there could be judgement calls (did a knee touch, etc.) versus whatever term you would use for what happened in Stillwater.  Last year's Miami/Duke game, it was a judgement call of whether or not the players knee was down -- so the result would stand.  This weekend, the play shouldn't have happened as per the rules -- there's no judgement or anything.  It's black and white.  You can say with absolute certainty that if they got the call right in this case, the game would have ended on the spot.  Most importantly, there's no "well, we don't know how the last xx seconds would have played out" or anything.  I don't like the idea, but that would be the way to do it.

A poster above pretty much shared my sentiment that the way it was called on the field is what the rule should be, so I don't feel all that terrible for Oklahoma State.

IUe6Hvh.png

14 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Nope. Keep it at 4. It'll get to 8 eventually,  just enjoy an actual playoff.

I say six, have two teams with byes and two play in games with the higher ranked teams hosting, have them sometime around the Cactus bowl or Something.

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

49 minutes ago, Davidellias said:

I say six, have two teams with byes and two play in games with the higher ranked teams hosting, have them sometime around the Cactus bowl or Something.

The problem with a bye for me is that it gives the team that had the bye a significant disadvantage.  It's one thing for an NFL team to have a week off and play a team that had played the week prior but the rust that comes with a month or so layoff while playing a team that had played a week or so earlier after having some time off would be an issue I would think.

IUe6Hvh.png

59 minutes ago, Davidellias said:

1000% non starter.  You want to reward semi subjective ranked teams a week off?  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

On 9/12/2016 at 9:20 PM, See Red said:

The problem with a bye for me is that it gives the team that had the bye a significant disadvantage.  It's one thing for an NFL team to have a week off and play a team that had played the week prior but the rust that comes with a month or so layoff while playing a team that had played a week or so earlier after having some time off would be an issue I would think.

That, and it introduces MORE subjectivity to the process.  Is a 1 loss Alabama better than an undefeated Ohio State?  Is an undefeated BYU better than a 2 loss Oklahoma?

2 hours ago, 2001mark said:

ACC taking upcoming championship games out of North Carolina.

The ACC does have choices for a neutral enue, but...

Orlando and the Meadowlands have that weekend booked with HS championship games.

Tampa doesn't want to host since the College Football Playoff title game will be five weeks away and hosting the ACC takes away time/labor for the bigger event.

So that leaves:

DC (Both RFK and FedEx Field are available)

Jacksonville

Foxboro

Miami

And a sleeper

Yankee Stadium (Field will be prepared for New Era Bowl, but hotel rooms first weekend in December will be a problem)

Foxborough and the Bronx would be too north (I know that Syracuse and Boston College are very much north, but still). Miami would be nice with the renovations done. Jacksonville...not a great choice but it's been done there before. DC is a more central location so FedEx Field would be a good choice.

Archived