2016 NCAA Football Thread

CS85

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

One of these years, some smart Big XII coach is going to figure out that you're allowed to play defense in a football game.

Once Bo Pelini and Ndamukong Suh figured it out, Nebraska bailed for the Big Ten. :)

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

A football weighs, what, two pounds?  I will never understand why these big, strong, always-in-the-weight-room football players are so willing to get rid of the football as soon as they think they're in the end zone.  Why leave any sort of doubt that you actually scored?  Drop the ball once you reach the back of the end zone....

3 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

A football weighs, what, two pounds?  I will never understand why these big, strong, always-in-the-weight-room football players are so willing to get rid of the football as soon as they think they're in the end zone.  Why leave any sort of doubt that you actually scored?  Drop the ball once you reach the back of the end zone....

It's like they're playing a game of chicken with the endzone. Seeing who can touch the least amount of the endzone before dropping it. It's happening too often to just a be a coincidence. Or maybe they're all just morons that have no sense of spatial awareness.

spacer.png

Did Kirby Smart forget to tell his receivers to catch with their hands? This performance is pathetic from Georgia, can't imagine how Jacob Eason feels right now. Throwing perfect passes, only to be continuously dropped by his wideouts. Another Georgia flop in a big game. 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

3 hours ago, DScruggy729 said:

Did Kirby Smart forget to tell his receivers to catch with their hands? This performance is pathetic from Georgia, can't imagine how Jacob Eason feels right now. Throwing perfect passes, only to be continuously dropped by his wideouts. Another Georgia flop in a big game. 

The offensive line is awful, the kicking game is the worst I've ever seen(now two kickers that can't kick....mustached Chris Sabo needs new glasses), and now the receivers are problematic on the rare times Eason is allowed to go through his progressions and find an open-ish guy.

That said, I never felt Georgia was a team worthy of being in the top 15.  Everyone got too excited over beating North Carolina, an average team at best.  Looked awful against Nicholls, a team that should have had a 2-point margin in the first minute of the game, not the final score.  Did what they needed to do to beat Missouri, which is maybe a 6-6 team.  Don't let the #12 ranking fool you....Georgia just wasn't that good to begin with.  Couple that with playing a team that was considered a darkhorse for the playoffs playing with their hair on fire, and it had all the makings of being, well, a 45-14 game.

Georgia needed a game like this.  Allows them to now re-rack and see that they aren't as good as they thought they were and what they've been hearing around campus.  All of their realistic goals are still there.  These are basically 12-13 exhibition games to prepare for 2017-2018, once the coaching staff gets a full offseason and more of recruiting their guys, Eason is getting reps, etc.  8-9 wins is about their ceiling for the season, with the East and SEC Championship being "if things go really well" things instead of the expectation for 2016.

29 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

The offensive line is awful, the kicking game is the worst I've ever seen(now two kickers that can't kick....mustached Chris Sabo needs new glasses), and now the receivers are problematic on the rare times Eason is allowed to go through his progressions and find an open-ish guy.

That said, I never felt Georgia was a team worthy of being in the top 15.  Everyone got too excited over beating North Carolina, an average team at best.  Looked awful against Nicholls, a team that should have had a 2-point margin in the first minute of the game, not the final score.  Did what they needed to do to beat Missouri, which is maybe a 6-6 team.  Don't let the #12 ranking fool you....Georgia just wasn't that good to begin with.  Couple that with playing a team that was considered a darkhorse for the playoffs playing with their hair on fire, and it had all the makings of being, well, a 45-14 game.

Georgia needed a game like this.  Allows them to now re-rack and see that they aren't as good as they thought they were and what they've been hearing around campus.  All of their realistic goals are still there.  These are basically 12-13 exhibition games to prepare for 2017-2018, once the coaching staff gets a full offseason and more of recruiting their guys, Eason is getting reps, etc.  8-9 wins is about their ceiling for the season, with the East and SEC Championship being "if things go really well" things instead of the expectation for 2016.

I may have believed that #12 ranking if the AP Poll didn't consist of bloated idiots who look at records and scores instead of watching the games. 

Can't really gauge how good Florida is with all these drops by Tennessee... probably a syndrome of ruining a great uniform match-up by wearing gray. 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

1 hour ago, DScruggy729 said:

I may have believed that #12 ranking if the AP Poll didn't consist of bloated idiots who look at records and scores instead of watching the games. 

Can't really gauge how good Florida is with all these drops by Tennessee... probably a syndrome of ruining a great uniform match-up by wearing gray. 

To be fair, the pollsters do tend to get things about as right as possible at the end of the season.  And, in recent times, have been doing some course-corrections each week, even if teams win.  Hell, look at Georgia...they started at #18, beat North Carolina and jumped up to #9, beat Nicholls (by 2, but still a win) and dropped down to #16, then beat Missouri and went up to #12.  Now, part of it was that other teams lost (or didn't win by enough), but the voting has been pretty volatile week-to-week.

Dunno about the cheap shot or the attempt at fat-shaming by you, though.  Not really relevant, nor does it help an argument when you take the low road.  People that don't have jobs don't have time to watch 70+ games in the course of 36 hours...much less folks that do.  Tell you what...go up against the AP pollsters and show us how easy it is.  With the many outlets available, I challenge you to go live for the CCSLC.  Watch all the games involving FBS schools, in their entirety, next weekend...then come up with a top 25 before 1pm ET on Sunday.

Duke winning at Notre Dame is no big deal....if this were the roundball.  Even when Notre Dame was at their lowest years ago, I never thought I'd see the day where a team like Duke would win a game at THE biggest place to win a college football regular season game.  It'll always be a memorable feat to win a football game at Notre Dame.

Archived