CS85

2016 NCAA Football Thread

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'll agree, I figured a coaching change would leave Baylor floating along, but since it seems like Briles still has the ability to talk to his former players through the coaches still there (Not a violation as I understand it and I'm only hypothesizing) they haven't missed a beat. They've also had an easy first half of the schedule. With Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas to come I'd expect at least two losses from those games. 

 

Violation of what? The contract settlement between Briles and the university?

Kendall Briles (son) and Jeff Lebby (son-in-law) are still on the staff, so Sunday dinners still have football and the team as a subject.

 

And Baylor beat Okie St. 35-24 in Week 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DScruggy729 said:

The Buckeyes should've lost, so I wouldn't automatically slot them in as a Big Ten champ. Especially when they still have to play two undefeated teams and potentially Wisconsin or Nebraska again. 

 

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Ohio State showed that the WR's still need a bit of work to get to the next level. Teh defense took a little bit to wake up but were lights out for most of the second half. There were too many silly penalties by the coaches and the players yesterday. When Wisconsin got the ball with 2:30 left it started feeling like Michigan State again. 

 

Speaking of Sparty, they seem to be suffering a year long hangover from that Alabama loss. Northwestern should not have been able to thump them so solidly. That defense has just failed them this year.

 

I'll agree, I figured a coaching change would leave Baylor floating along, but since it seems like Briles still has the ability to talk to his former players through the coaches still there (Not a violation as I understand it and I'm only hypothesizing) they haven't missed a beat. They've also had an easy first half of the schedule. With Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas to come I'd expect at least two losses from those games. 

 

The PAC=12, confirming that every year teams that should be good will suck and teams that everyone left for dead will ruin someone else's season. I'm not surprised by Arizona State since UTSA was controlling them for three quarters and handed the game to them in the fourth. Colorado being solid will help cover up the lack of good play from Arizona, State, UCLA and Oregon, who seem to have hit a wall after being the class of the league for so long.

 

 

I definitely did not phrase that the right way yikes. Ohio State looks like a team that can't be beat through 4 quarters. They have a lot of toughness with a very sound defense, and way too many weapons on offense, especially at quarterback. I just don't see any other team in the Big 10, even Michigan, hanging with them for a whole game. (Really hoping I'm wrong, can I get a final four without Ohio state or Alabama?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope not! I think the SEC is showing that they aren't the force they appeared to be when they controlled the BCS era. With the ability of Big Ten, ACC and eventually Big XII teams to cash in on New Years Six games and big name coaches moving out of the SEC it looks like we may see a shift to the perennial powers, regardless of conference, then the big names picking up their slice, followed by everyone else. So Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan and then everyone else. I really would like to see an 11-0 Ohio State meet an 11-0 Michigan and have the winner win by less than 3 points, just to see if the committee would punish the loser, even though that team would have proven to be one of the best teams all year. 

23 minutes ago, sleuthpanther said:

 

I definitely did not phrase that the right way yikes. Ohio State looks like a team that can't be beat through 4 quarters. They have a lot of toughness with a very sound defense, and way too many weapons on offense, especially at quarterback. I just don't see any other team in the Big 10, even Michigan, hanging with them for a whole game. (Really hoping I'm wrong, can I get a final four without Ohio state or Alabama?)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'll agree, I figured a coaching change would leave Baylor floating along, but since it seems like Briles still has the ability to talk to his former players through the coaches still there (Not a violation as I understand it and I'm only hypothesizing) they haven't missed a beat. They've also had an easy first half of the schedule. With Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas to come I'd expect at least two losses from those games.

Jim Grobe is a really good coach.  He gets the most out of his players.  Remember, Grobe took little Wake Forest to the Orange Bowl and won an ACC Championship.

 

If it weren't for his age, he'd be a prime candidate for any big-time program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Violation of what? The contract settlement between Briles and the university?

Kendall Briles (son) and Jeff Lebby (son-in-law) are still on the staff, so Sunday dinners still have football and the team as a subject.

 

And Baylor beat Okie St. 35-24 in Week 4.

True. That's why I stated that I don't believe there's anything attached to his firing, but if there were I'm sure we would have been told about it. Especially when he showed up for the Rice game. Totally skipped my mind they played OK State already. You do bring up a good point in that Briles was the only person on the football staff let go. I wonder how many will be staying when a permanent head coach is named.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

True. That's why I stated that I don't believe there's anything attached to his firing, but if there were I'm sure we would have been told about it. Especially when he showed up for the Rice game. Totally skipped my mind they played OK State already. You do bring up a good point in that Briles was the only person on the football staff let go. I wonder how many will be staying when a permanent head coach is named.

Since most assistant coaches are under one year contracts and Kendal Briles applied for the North Texas job last year, him staying is unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think K. Briles could go for the Purdue job? It just opened up and the offense was the biggest issue there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Think K. Briles could go for the Purdue job? It just opened up and the offense was the biggest issue there. 

This is Kendal's first season as a coordinator and he turns 34 next month. He's probably behind every assistant at both Ohio State and Michigan to start with. Greg Schiano, Luke Fickel, Judd Fisch are three ahead of him. Air Force's Troy Calhoun is a sleeper to leave his alma mater.

 

Plus, the two Purdue alums I know don't want an assistant, FCS (Brock Spack) or a MAC coach to come in but they typically don't pay and their share of the new B1G tv contract is going to a new football building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

This is Kendal's first season as a coordinator and he turns 34 next month. He's probably behind every assistant at both Ohio State and Michigan to start with. Greg Schiano, Luke Fickel, Judd Fisch are three ahead of him. Air Force's Troy Calhoun is a sleeper to leave his alma mater.

 

Plus, the two Purdue alums I know don't want an assistant, FCS (Brock Spack) or a MAC coach to come in but they typically don't pay and their share of the new B1G tv contract is going to a new football building.

If they aren't willing to pay I don't see any reason for a top assistant to go there. Have they said whether they want an offensive or defensive coach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

If they aren't willing to pay I don't see any reason for a top assistant to go there. Have they said whether they want an offensive or defensive coach?

AD Mike Bobinski has been on the job all of eight weeks and the majority of his career he was at a school w/o football, Xavier.

Before taking the Purdue job, his three years at Georgia Tech were anything special.

 

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/georgia-tech-was-dysfunction-junction-under-bobins/nsCmC/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMAG0155_zpsj4zfgjmu.jpg

 

Nice of Cal to have Toto as a sponsor since Oregon's defense is in $#itty.

 

EDIT: Cal was up 21-0 and 31-14 but the score after 3 is 34-28.

Edited by dfwabel
score update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Down go the Buckeyes.

 

They still have a chance to make the CFP, but they MUST be Michigan and may need Washington and/or Clemson to lose a game. If Ohio State does make it though, I don't think they'll last; their offense has been quite underwhelming and this team overall just isn't as good as last year's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy hell this Oklahoma-Texas Tech game. 

 

Close to 1500 combined Yards, Texas Tech's QB is 44-77 with 655 Yards, while Baker Mayfield has 500+ with 7 TD's. This game still has 8 minutes left too. 

 

Can someone tell these big 12 teams they're allowed to play defense? 

 

EDIT: The ":censored: You Baker" chant from the Texas Tech fans is a nice touch. Stay classy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and the Oklahoma-Texas Tech game is absolutely ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And now Mahomes has the FBS Record for offense with half the field to go. This is crazy, even by Big 12 standards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if Big XII teams played defense? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

What if Big XII teams played defense? 

One does.

 

They go by the name of “West Virginia.” ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

One does.

 

They go by the name of “West Virginia.” ;)

I think that means they're unstoppable then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.