CS85

2016 NCAA Football Thread

20 minutes ago, DScruggy729 said:

A&M at 4, and Penn State at 12 are really the only ones that stand out to me. Can't really see the justification for putting A&M in over Washington. The Huskies may have played an easier schedule, but they've blown out everyone besides Arizona and Utah (both of those games were on the road too.) Penn State at 12 seems a little high, this is the same team that got demolished by Michigan earlier this year. I wouldn't think of putting them ahead of LSU, Oklahoma, or Utah. 

As Stewart Mandel said,

I recall from first two years: You'll hear a lot about "wins over .500 or better" next few weeks before they shift to "wins over Top 25."

27 minutes ago, DScruggy729 said:

A&M at 4, and Penn State at 12 are really the only ones that stand out to me. Can't really see the justification for putting A&M in over Washington. The Huskies may have played an easier schedule, but they've blown out everyone besides Arizona and Utah (both of those games were on the road too.) Penn State at 12 seems a little high, this is the same team that got demolished by Michigan earlier this year. I wouldn't think of putting them ahead of LSU, Oklahoma, or Utah. 

Not to mention PSU's wins, outside of Ohio State, aren't all that great. They beat Maryland and Minnesota, which are decent (65 and 45 on Sagarin), but that's it.

(Funnily enough, Sagarin has Ohio State at 3, and UW at 5.)

35 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

As Stewart Mandel said,

I recall from first two years: You'll hear a lot about "wins over .500 or better" next few weeks before they shift to "wins over Top 25."

Yes, this means that A&M beating Prairie View is a quality win in the eyes of the committee.

16 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Yes, this means that A&M beating Prairie View is a quality win in the eyes of the committee.

Better win in their eyes than Portland State.

http://www.usdtoreros.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110116aaa.html

So here's an interesting match-up. U of San Diego, who is likely going to get an automatic bid for the FCS playoffs, is playing Mexican champ, Universidad De Las Americas Puebla. The game is considered an exhibition by both teams though.

As far as I can remember, the last time that an NCAA team played a Mexican football team was in 2009, when then-D2 University of the Incarnate Word played their first-ever football game against Monterrey Tech and won 42-39.

16 hours ago, ninersdd said:

So flippin weird seeing Washington, WSU, Utah and Colorado as the ranked Pac-12 teams. No U$C, UCLA, Stanford, or Oregon in sight on there.

Fun fact. Utah is one of only six teams to be ranked in every CFP poll...the others being: Alabama, Clemson, Baylor, Ohio State, and FSU

18 minutes ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

Fun fact. Utah is one of only six teams to be ranked in every CFP poll...the others being: Alabama, Clemson, Baylor, Ohio State, and FSU

And yet the only one not to have made a New Year Six bowl.

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

And yet the only one not to have made a New Year Six bowl.

Accute Novemberitis.

6 hours ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

Who doesn't have Washington?

14 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Who doesn't have Washington?

I believe this refers every poll released by the Playoff Committee in its 2 and a bit years, rather than to every poll released this week

1 minute ago, waltere said:

I believe this refers every poll released by the Playoff Committee in its 2 and a bit years, rather than to every poll released this week

That makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

As part of their new TV contracts, B1G will play six Friday night games in 2017. Ohio State will host one of the six.

http://btn.com/2016/11/02/friday-night-football-is-coming-to-the-big-ten-starting-in-2017/

Michigan and Penn State refuse to host.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/11/02/michigan-and-penn-state-rightly-reject-friday-night-games/

CwSFgASWIAImhnW_zpss8jvjzzi.jpg

The coaches associations of Illinois, Nebraska and Wisconsin have already made comments indicating disappointment in the decision.

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

As part of their new TV contracts, B1G will play six Friday night games in 2017. Ohio State will host one of the six.

http://btn.com/2016/11/02/friday-night-football-is-coming-to-the-big-ten-starting-in-2017/

Michigan and Penn State refuse to host.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/11/02/michigan-and-penn-state-rightly-reject-friday-night-games/

CwSFgASWIAImhnW_zpss8jvjzzi.jpg

The coaches associations of Illinois, Nebraska and Wisconsin have already made comments indicating disappointment in the decision.

Trying to get in on that MACtion? Bad decision but I'm sure Fox and BTN want every chance they can to get eyes on the conference. 

On 11/02/2016 at 5:47 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Trying to get in on that MACtion? Bad decision but I'm sure Fox and BTN want every chance they can to get eyes on the conference. 

ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12 already play Friday night games on a regular basis and FS1 needs the inventory, but the six games is likely be split evenly among ESPN, FS1 and BTN.

Ohio State is in and will play during their two day, Fall Break. Rutgers, Maryland and other smaller capacity stadiums will host. Northwestern doesn't have permanent lighting yet, but Purdue and Michigan State will for next season.

Michigan doesn't even want to cancel classes due to snow. They went 36 years (1978-2014) w/o cancelling classes, so they aen't going to cancel classes to provide parking lots for football. Both they and the city worry about the parking concerns. Plus, Ann Arboor CC, the UM Blue course and Pioneer HS are across Wastenaw Ave. as well which are prime parking lots too.

It doesn't really assist recruiting visits, but it's just one weekend.

Edited by dfwabel

The Miami Hurricanes start 4-0, now 0-4 since with losses to rival Florida State, Virginia Tech and old rivals Notre Dame. Gutpunching if you are a Canes fan

On 11/3/2016 at 0:50 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

The Miami Hurricanes start 4-0, now 0-4 since with losses to rival Florida State, Virginia Tech and old rivals Notre Dame. Gutpunching if you are a Canes fan

I think they recovered pretty well today. I think they're on the right track though and that Richt will have them up there against teams like FSU and Clemson pretty soon. 

29 minutes ago, BlackBolt3 said:

Well the Texas A&M issue has resolved itself.

This is why I don't get too worked up over these things -- there's a whole lot of season left for all of these things to work themselves out.