2016 NCAA Football Thread

CS85

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Nahhh. Tostitos was the Fiesta Bowl. Nothing else matters.

Sunkist works too. Both Tostitos and Sunkist have a party type vibe to them. 

But yeah, after so long with Tostitos, I don't think any sponsor would sound as good as the "Tostitos Fiesta Bowl"

The absolute worst is Battlefrog.

10 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

I think the key thing to see is how the Big Ten Champion is held by the committee. Obviously Michigan can win out and save one headache, but if either of the two loss teams makes it in over a possible 1 loss Washington as a conference champ or 1 loss Ohio State/Louisville, neither of which even won their divisions, then it really doesn't matter how many times you've lost, provided you won your conference. Which really sucks because, for instance, Louisville lost the one game that really mattered in terms of the division, but Oklahoma can lose twice in the year, "get hot" and run through a weaker conference, and sneak in. December 4th, provided things don't clear up, will be interesting to see.

Conference championships should not matter.  And I say this as a grad/fan of a team that would benefit from conference championships being the only thing that matters.

OSU beats Michigan and PSU wins out and then loses in the B1G title game to Wisconsin, I cannot say with a straight face that Wisconsin (2 losses, including one to OSU) should get in ahead of OSU (one loss and a win at Wisconsin).  Wisconsin, in that scenario, will be B1G champs because the conference is set up for greed and a somewhat arbitrary (regarding competition; not geography) alignment of teams.  OK, it's kind of how we do divisions in pro sports as well, but when you are talking about taking only four teams, I think "body of work" has to be rewarded.  Add to that that the conference champion could, in theory, have three non-conference losses...OK, that's not likely, but Penn State has a non-conference loss.  It's not hurting them in the B1G race.  Nor should it, but it does have the effect of putting a lesser team into the title game.  Penn State would be a more difficult discussion than Wisconsin. While they at least beat OSU head-to-head, they have the worst loss of any of the four B1G teams...that loss does not "count" in the conference race, pointing to the issue with considering conference champs.

I am thrilled with the way Wisconsin has played against one of the toughest schedules in the country (and remain frustrated that they could not put OSU away).  But they went through that tough schedule and lost to two other contenders.  That's their playoff right there.

The only scenario by which I can see Wisconsin in front of OSU is if PSU loses a game, OSU gets to Indy and loses to Wisconsin. Then the entire B1G has at least two losses (mostly beating each other out) and Wisconsin comes out on top.  Another way is if Michigan beats OSU (giving them a second, more recent, loss) and Wisconsin can avenge that loss in Indy.  Since I don't see Penn State losing, that's the scenario I am  hoping for (not that they'd beat Michigan, anyway).

The other scenario for Wisconsin is if there's a ton of chaos in front of them like Louisville, Washington, and Clemson losing, bringing us to "the year of the two-loss team."  That's not likely.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

29 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Since I don't see Penn State losing, that's the scenario I am  hoping for (not that they'd beat Michigan, anyway).

I wouldn't be too sure of that. Major injuries on the OL may do them in. They will beat Rutgers. I am 99.9% sure of that but I'm not convinced they will beat Michigan State. I know the Spartans are having a down year, to say the least, but they could play spoiler.

9 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

I wouldn't be too sure of that. Major injuries on the OL may do them in. They will beat Rutgers. I am 99.9% sure of that but I'm not convinced they will beat Michigan State. I know the Spartans are having a down year, to say the least, but they could play spoiler.

All bets are off and records mean nothing when you are fighting for the Land Grant Trophy*.

LGTrophy_zpsrdsqou8o.jpg

*-Hand truck not included.

Any trophy that fits in a trophy case ain't worth winning.

27 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Penn State's an interesting team.  They've struggled with a few teams (Minnesota; Indiana) but they keep winning.  On the other hand, they've benefited from a fairly easy schedule, with no "crossover" vs. Wisconsin or Nebraska (the two best of the West; Iowa and Minnesota are both OK).  They handled very Jekyll and Hyde Iowa and of course have the OSU win.  I'm not trying to get in a pissing match, but I feel Wisconsin's 8-2 is more impressive than PSUs with wins over LSU and Nebraska.  That of course, does not matter as the two will either settle it in Indy or OSU/Michigan will take PSU out of the conversation.  So if they go to Indy and beat a second top-10 team on a neutral site, hats off to 'em.

I did see that PSU just lost a starting OL for the year.  Since I am not completely sold on them, I do wonder how detrimental that will be.  Rutgers is a nice game to have after that to help the new team; Rutgers is miserable (though they played Iowa close and nearly won at Minnesota...but they get clobbered routinely).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

22 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

All bets are off and records mean nothing when you are fighting for the Land Grant Trophy*.

LGTrophy_zpsrdsqou8o.jpg

*-Hand truck not included.

Ah yes, the good ole battle for the Land Grant Trophy. Best rivalry in college football, and possibly greatest in all of sports.

With all of this being said, and yes I am getting way ahead of myself...but I'm not sure if I want Penn State to win out and then win in Indy. They would play a huge woodshed victim to Alabama in a semifinal game. If that makes me a bad fan, so be it. I'd rather they be competitive in a NYD bowl of some sort.

This will not happen so I do not have to worry.

The committee leaving Michigan at #3 despite losing is pretty transparent. They obviously want this hyped up, titanic 2 VS 3!! match up between OSU and UM as an excuse to keep Ohio State (assuming they beat mich, of course) in the playoff, regardless of the Big 10 conference championship going to someone else.  As a graduate and fan of tOSU, I'm fine with it, but I have to say they're obviously this setting up.

16 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

That crashing sound in the front yard was Louisville's playoff hopes.

I thought it was the sound of coach needing AD's glasses of Bourbon or Merlot hitting the floor as a Tom Herman looks to have motivated a team for the first time in basically six weeks.

I'm no head football coach, but I'm not sure if punting on fourth down is the right call when you're down 3 scores in the 4th quarter with your season on the line. Maybe it's just me though. 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

24 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Playoffs are gone, is the Heisman gone too? Last two weeks Jackson has been pretty mortal.

I'd say tonight was on the offensive line more than anything.  But yeah, he's done for when it comes to the Heisman.

IUe6Hvh.png

31 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Playoffs are gone, is the Heisman gone too? Last two weeks Jackson has been pretty mortal.

Mayfield only has two games/data points left to steal it. Same goes for Texas RB Foreman, but he's on a losing team.

So far, only Jalen Hurts and SDSU's Donnell Pumphrey are guaranteed to have a game three Saturdays from today.

Barrett, Watson, Peppers, Barkley, and Jake Browning may have a third data point. With Speight injured, Harbaugh will scheme Peppers in wildcat much more vs. Indiana.

If he lights up Kentucky, he'll likely be OK since many will vote for him before the conference championship games. Jackson's stats are still gaudy.

Archived