Jump to content

2016 NCAA Football Thread


CS85
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

What the hell was BYU's coach thinking going for two there? Take the game to OT.  Wow. :blink:

I wonder which has the bigger success rate: 2-point conversions or road teams winning in OT.  I would think it's the former, plus the adage of "road team goes for the win, home team goes for the tie/OT".

 

Ballsy call.  I don't blame the coach for going for the win, especially if he gets called "brilliant" had it been successful.  Shows the team the coach has full-confidence in them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

 

I like Wilkins a bit more than Taylor Kelly right now, and a DAMN SIGHT better than Berco, too. 

 

Wilkins is pretty good but don't think he's as good as Kelly but that can change. However anyone is better that Bercovici

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I wonder which has the bigger success rate: 2-point conversions or road teams winning in OT.  I would think it's the former, plus the adage of "road team goes for the win, home team goes for the tie/OT".

 

Ballsy call.  I don't blame the coach for going for the win, especially if he gets called "brilliant" had it been successful.  Shows the team the coach has full-confidence in them.

 

As soon as I saw the little 1 in my notifications I thought "that's going to be Hedley disagreeing with my post in the CFB thread."  B) Anyway...

 

You can throw all the "full-confidence" football cliches at it that you want, but it was a dumb move. Period. Even if BYU had made the conversion, I still would have called it a dumb move. There's no need to go "all or nothing" on one play. Especially when odds are that you'll get at least a couple shots at winning in OT.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Gary. said:

 

Wilkins is pretty good but don't think he's as good as Kelly but that can change. However anyone is better that Bercovici

 

Yeah, Kelly was boring but SO consistent. Berco is probably selling condos in Awathukee by now. That guy was absolute garbage. Jaelen Strong basically gave him a shot in the NFL, which he still blew.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

You can throw all the "full-confidence" football cliches at it that you want, but it was a dumb move. Period. Even if BYU had made the conversion, I still would have called it a dumb move. There's no need to go "all or nothing" on one play. Especially when odds are that you'll get at least a couple shots at winning in OT.

For what it's worth, I would have gone for the PAT instead of the two. 

 

I disagree with your assertion that it was a dumb call.  You, more than most folks here, ought to know that every football team practices 2-point conversions (and goal line situations) multiple times in practice every day, every week.  If a team feels more confident that they can get the 2-pointer than the randomness of OT, is it really a dumb move to go with what you're more confident with?  Plus, there's the rationale of "attack them again after you just struck a deflating blow to them".  BYU's coach was hoping to catch Utah at the moment when their heads were hanging down, having just given up the touchdown that could have tied the game with under a minute to go.  And don't think there wasn't Utah coaches and players having a few seconds of "Holy crap, BYU's going for 2?!  What to do...what to do....ummm...ok, this" just after BYU finished celebrating the score.  How experienced is BYU's kicker in game-tying situations? (According to Yahoo, their kicker is a true freshman.)  What I do know is BYU has a senior QB.  Perhaps the coaching staff has more confidence in a senior QB than a kicker playing his second college game.

 

If the 2-point percentage is higher than the road team's OT record percentage, BYU's coach is merely "playing the percentages".  If the winning percentage is higher than the 2-point conversion rate, BYU's coach is "going against the grain and trying to catch the opponent off-guard".

 

Whether they make it or not, it's still a ballsy move.  This can be said before the play and after the play.  A play isn't considered "dumb" until it's already played out.  You may have a hunch or you may not have made that call, but how can anyone logically call a play "dumb" if something hadn't yet happened?

 

The execution of the play was awful.  I've only seen the play one time, but it looked line the O-line got blown up right at the snap.  The QB was scrambling as soon as his drop-back ended.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't seen highlights yet, but the Lovie effect in Champaign at least lasted all of a game. Attendance at Memorial Stadium was massive.  Terrific turnout. Getting kicked in the nuts by North Carolina may have doused a bit of the hype, however.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The call at the end of the OK State - CMU game may have been wrong according to the rule, but common sense would say the officials got it right. The rule should be amended with a 4th down exception. The offense committed a penalty that at any other point in the game would have resulted in change of posession. If the offense were to commit a penalty after any other turnover at the end of regulation, it would count as a defensive penalty wouldn't it? And you can't end the game on a defensive penalty. It sucks for OK State that they got screwed, but the rule needs to be looked at.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

For what it's worth, I would have gone for the PAT instead of the two. 

 

I disagree with your assertion that it was a dumb call.  You, more than most folks here, ought to know that every football team practices 2-point conversions (and goal line situations) multiple times in practice every day, every week.  If a team feels more confident that they can get the 2-pointer than the randomness of OT, is it really a dumb move to go with what you're more confident with?  Plus, there's the rationale of "attack them again after you just struck a deflating blow to them".  BYU's coach was hoping to catch Utah at the moment when their heads were hanging down, having just given up the touchdown that could have tied the game with under a minute to go.  And don't think there wasn't Utah coaches and players having a few seconds of "Holy crap, BYU's going for 2?!  What to do...what to do....ummm...ok, this" just after BYU finished celebrating the score.  How experienced is BYU's kicker in game-tying situations? (According to Yahoo, their kicker is a true freshman.)  What I do know is BYU has a senior QB.  Perhaps the coaching staff has more confidence in a senior QB than a kicker playing his second college game.

 

If the 2-point percentage is higher than the road team's OT record percentage, BYU's coach is merely "playing the percentages".  If the winning percentage is higher than the 2-point conversion rate, BYU's coach is "going against the grain and trying to catch the opponent off-guard".

 

Whether they make it or not, it's still a ballsy move.  This can be said before the play and after the play.  A play isn't considered "dumb" until it's already played out.  You may have a hunch or you may not have made that call, but how can anyone logically call a play "dumb" if something hadn't yet happened?

 

The execution of the play was awful.  I've only seen the play one time, but it looked line the O-line got blown up right at the snap.  The QB was scrambling as soon as his drop-back ended.

 

Thanks...I think. Anyway, by dumb call, I meant going for two, not the play itself. 

 

Under the circumstances? Yes. You'd just marched down the field to tie the game. There was no reason to think you couldn't march another 25 in OT. BYU gave up at least one offensive series (probably a few) to try to win the game on one play. In what world is the percentage of success higher for one play than it is for at least 4 (again, maybe more?)

 

And then he promptly called a time out giving Utah plenty of time to "raise their heads back up." 

 

Again, the time out gave Utah time to get ready - which they did and we know the result. 

 

That play may have been the perfect call (it wasn't.) What I thought was dumb was going for two instead of playing for OT. It was dumb. Period. FWIW, I was calling the BYU coach an idiot for even thinking of going for two during the timeout before the play. My reaction wasn't based on the result of the play. I thought it was a bad idea before they'd even decided to try it. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

North Carolina A&T's win over Kent State may be the biggest victory for an HBCU program since Florida A&M beat Miami decades ago.

Kent State'sbeen on the downslope since Hazzell left. It's probably not as big as we think. Kent may not win a game this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Gary pinned and unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.