NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

19 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Minnesota's stadium doesn't have much space for expansion and would require another stadium for both teams to play in while expansion went on. If they still had the Metrodome it's not issue but remember, TCF Stadium didn't even have warmers under the field until after the Vikings vs Bears game after the Metrodome roof collapse a few years ago proved that it was needed. 

True, but the Vikes could've been involved in the plans from the beginning rather than waiting.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AstroBull21 said:

True, but the Vikes could've been involved in the plans from the beginning rather than waiting.

Expansion[edit]

The stadium was designed to be capable of supporting future seating expansion to 80,000. The 30,000 seats would be added above the second deck of the stadium from the end of the press boxes across to the northwest end of the venue, wrapping around the remainder of the horseshoe.[31] The auxiliary video display currently adjacent to the easternmost section of the media areas would likely be relocated to atop the new third deck. The University of Minnesota could add all 30,000 seats in a single addition or in increments of 10,000 seats, meeting demand as it is needed (although the duplicated costs of such a plan make it unlikely). If expansion is ever undertaken, it can be completed in about 9 months so that there would be minimal interruption of a football season.[38]

I was wrong about expansion possibilities but I think both the school and the Vikings wanted their own stadiums. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

That's probably referring to expansion for Gopher use.  As we all know, most college stadiums are simpler than NFL stadiums.  I think TCF Bank Stadium has more bleacher bench seats than chairbacks.

If the Vikes were involved from day one, TCF Bank would look more different than it does now, and possibly in a different location.

29 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

That's probably referring to expansion for Gopher use.  As we all know, most college stadiums are simpler than NFL stadiums.  I think TCF Bank Stadium has more bleacher bench seats than chairbacks.

If the Vikes were involved from day one, TCF Bank would look more different than it does now, and possibly in a different location.

True and true.

There is no way the Vikes would be playing in a bigger version of TCF Stadium.  TCF Stadium, by the way, is great.  It's the best sight lines I've seen in a football stadium (probably because it's decades newer than the others ones I've been to).  Most college stadiums have an older charm, but since that's no longer an option, they have a modern functionality that still retains some collegesque intimacy.  While I am a fan/graduate of a rival, I am glad they finally have a decent college football atmosphere.

The Vikings have an NFL monstrosity.  This is as it should be.  Both teams play in the right stadium...the Gophers do not need a dome, as their season ends in November.  They should be on campus.  Their ability to draw a crowd dictates that the stadium is the right size.  The bleachers work.  It's college football, where we stand up during the game.  The Vikings need to be indoors in case they ever make a run into January.  Pro fans don't want to sit/stand on bleachers.  They want a big production.  Yes, this is exactly as it should be...well except for the hundreds of millions of dollars of public money blown on it.  It's an absolute shame that the two teams are not playing in the same place.  The University would probably have taken a big hit, though...it would be big enough that they'd have empty seats for most games, it would be indoors.  Hopefully (though the NFL Parking Police may have stopped it) it would be on campus.  

So what?  When your college town and pro town are the same, find a way to create economies of scale.  They could have worked it out but both sides had a picture of what was perfect.  It's a shame.

Sometimes I wonder whether it would have been OK to stay in the Dome, old Soldier Field, old Meadowlands, etc.  What proportion of revenue comes from TV?  What does our $500M investment really mean to the Vikings compared to their TV revenue.  What a scam.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

With roster cuts to get to 75 by 4 pm today, expect some surprising cuts.

As a Redskins fan, two surprising cuts that just happened were Perry Riley and Stephen Paea. I can see why Riley was cut though, just simply a lot of talent and depth at LB for the Redskins. Cutting Paea is a little bit of a head scratcher.

Will the Minnesota United play in the Vikings or Gophers field? Vikings, right?

We have two football stadium in Seattle, and while they serve unique purposes, they really aren't both needed. Especially considering Husky Stadium is used basically ten times a year (if not less).

No city should be allowed to build two football stadium within 100 miles of each other if any taxpayer funds are involved. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

52 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

No city should be allowed to build two football stadium within 100 miles of each other if any taxpayer funds are involved. 

If I'm not mistaken, Los Angeles is doing it with LA FC and the Rams. Two unnecessarily separate stadiums.

MLS does not need 70k+ seat stadiums. That would be akin to arguing that you don't need to build an arena because you can hack-job an arena out of a domed stadium a la Alamo Dome, Superdome, or Tropicana Field.

Pittsburgh is a perfect example of how NOT to conjoin NFL and major college teams together. Heinz Field is horrible for Pitt, who spent a boatload of money to build the Peterson Events Center for basketball (and purpposefully made the floor plan too small for hockey to restrict the possibility of the Penguins ever being able to use it) where Pitt Stadium resided, and then join up with, at first, Three Rivers, and then new Heinz Field. It's way too big for what Pitt draws to an off-campus stadium, and had to compromise design for the NFL team to make it feasible (though Pitt playing there was a big political carrot on a stick to get votes for it). But, it was a mistake.

Publicly funded? We never learn.

We all agreed that the multipurpose stadiums of the 70s were gross and ugly, but I think we found the wrong solutions.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Yikes, it appears that Bridgewater went down on a non contact knee injury. The team was in complete shock when it happened.

Ambulances are there now.  F-bombs dropped by players/coaches.  Vikings are now a 5-7 win team.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Oh man. Tough break for the Vikings. Bridgewater is good and the team deserved a rebound from that playoff game.

3 minutes ago, BayouJim said:

If that's the case, then it most likely has to be a compound fracture.

Probably.  Multiple ligaments are likely torn.  A torn ACL would be the "optimal" outcome here.  This may be a career-ender.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Football is so cool because every day of August is spent praying in vain that an important player won't just spontaneously combust like a Spinal Tap drummer on some idle weekday. People always say we need to cut down on preseason games to avoid injuries, but that doesn't account for all the times some lineman is out for the entire year because he was lifting weights and his intestines fell out of his butt.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Sorry, Vikings fans. This sounds terrible and I'm hoping it's not a career ending injury.

Edit: Ian Rapoport has reported that he has a torn ACL and will miss the whole season. I'm hoping that's all it is. Still a huge shame but could be much worse.

Archived