NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

6 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Yes, it's unbelievable that they got a 1st for Bradford, but it's still profoundly stupid to start a rookie QB when he's only played in one preseason game, over a month ago no less, and when said QB is coming off broken ribs. 

Wentz could actually be really good one day and I wouldn't risk his future to help a bad offense try to win now.

Well, trading Bradford explicitly means they're not trying to win now, and are in full development mode.

But then at what point do you play him?  It's not like there's lots of opportunities to improve the offense during the season.  If his ribs aren't 100%, then yeah he needs to sit, but otherwise, IMO he's not going to learn by getting second-team reps in practice.  

There's definitely two valid schools of thought when it comes to rookie QBs - play immediately and take your lumps, or sit behind a veteran and go in when the team feels you're ready.  I think that it depends on the player.  Donovan McNabb was a weak-minded insecure oversensitive child, and was definitely not ready to go out there in week one.  By all accounts, Wentz can handle the failure and still learn and develop through it.  The line should be good enough to keep him relatively healthy (until Lane Johnson's suspension starts, whenever that is) so yeah I agree - throw him out there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm a Vikings fan, I'm burning down that beautiful new stadium.  Meanwhile, the Eagles also solved the problem of not having a #1 pick the year that the draft is on the Ben Franklin Parkway - turned the first night from something more fun for other teams' fans, to an actual event.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Eagles were pretty good with McNabb. Not best of all time, but there was a good run there. Better than what preceded or followed. One might even say the fanbase deserves its recent calamity based on how it treated its successful years.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

They were pretty good, but McNabb gets too much credit (nationally) for it.  Also there's a lot that you're not exposed to nationally (his stupid comments, defensiveness, insecurity, backhanded swipes at fans, etc.) that help form the local opinion.  Hopefully he doesn't kill anyone when he gets his next DUI - and hopefully they'll put him away for a bit longer next time.

Also, Jim Johnson was one of the best DCs of all time - it's also coincidence that they haven't been good following his death after the '09 season.  I'd say that had as much, if not more, to do with it than getting rid of McNabb.

Who will be the "surprise" teams this year? Here are my picks for the season as of today:

AFC

East

New England  (1)

Buffalo

Miami

New York Jets

North

Cincinnati (2)

Pittsburgh (5)

Baltimore

Cleveland

South

Houston (4)

Indianapolis

Jacksonville

Tennessee

West

Denver (3)

Oakland (6)

Kansas City 

San Diego 

NFC

East

New York Giants (4)

Washington

Dallas

Philadelphia 

North

Green Bay (1)

Minnesota 

Chicago

Detroit

South

Carolina (3)

Atlanta

Tampa Bay

New Orleans

West

Arizona (2)

Seattle (5)

Los Angeles (6)

San Francisco

Playoffs:

AFC - Houston over Pittsburgh; Denver over Oakland; New England over Houston; Denver over Cincinnati; New England over Denver

NFC - Seattle over New York Giants; Carolina over Los Angeles; Green Bay over Seattle; Arizona over Carolina; Arizona over Green Bay 

Super Bowl - Arizona over New England 

That's just how I'm feeling today. Tomorrow it could be Bengals-Panthers or Patriots-Packers or Steelers-Seahawks.

As far as surprises go, I think several teams have the capacity but the Rams have the running game and the defense to sneak into the last wild-card spot. I think Tampa is still a year away and the Raiders are good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to contend for the Super Bowl. I think the Bills have a shot to end their playoff drought but their road keeps getting harder.

I'm still keeping the Vikes out of the playoffs with their Bradford addition.  I mean, his hype is all he's ever had.

Jaguars are my (only) surprise playoff team, & they shouldn't even be that from the AFC South.  I have to see these Texans capable & healthy to believe, the Colts are a mirage, & the Titans are still 2-3yrs away I think.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Gotta say, EDP is way off base here.  He needs to take a step back and think for a second.  He's complaining that they went from a likely 5-11 to 1-15.  Granted, at this point he doesn't know that the rumors are that Wentz is starting, but still - there's absolutely no way to feel bad about this trade.

15 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Gotta say, EDP is way off base here.  He needs to take a step back and think for a second.  He's complaining that they went from a likely 5-11 to 1-15.  Granted, at this point he doesn't know that the rumors are that Wentz is starting, but still - there's absolutely no way to feel bad about this trade.

Carson wentz has been named the starter

He's the first rookie to start opening day for the Eagles since 1972.  Douche Bag Doug Pederson is basically fellating him at this press conference right now.  Wentz isn't even there, and yet somehow his man juice is dripping out of DP's mouth.  I totally give them credit for realizing their plan of sitting him for two seasons was dumb and making the correction - not many teams change course so drasticlly and so publically like this.

Also, didn't know that DP was in Bullet Club.

USATSI-doug-pederson-940x540.jpg

From FoxNews (somehow), here's a list of week 1 starting rookie NFL quaterbacks since 2008:

2008:

• Matt Ryan (1st round)
  • Joe Flacco (1st round)

2009:

• Matthew Stafford (1st overall)
  • Mark Sanchez (1st round)

2010:

• Sam Bradford (1st overall)

2011:

• Cam Newton (1st overall)
  • Andy Dalton (2nd round)

2012:

• Andrew Luck (1st overall)
  • Robert Griffin III (1st round)
  • Ryan Tannehill (1st round)
  • Brandon Weeden (1st round)
  • Russell Wilson (3rd round)

2013:

• EJ Manual (1st round)
  • Geno Smith (2nd round)

2014:

• Derek Carr (2nd round)

2015:

• Jameis Winston (1st overall)
  • Marcus Mariota (1st round)

Looking at that, it looks like there's generally been more than less success from rookies starting. Each situation is different, but based on recent experience, I'd roll the dice on a young man's livelihood too.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

33 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

He's the first rookie to start opening day for the Eagles since 1972.  Douche Bag Doug Pederson is basically fellating him at this press conference right now.  Wentz isn't even there, and yet somehow his man juice is dripping out of DP's mouth.  I totally give them credit for realizing their plan of sitting him for two seasons was dumb and making the correction - not many teams change course so drasticlly and so publically like this.

Also, didn't know that DP was in Bullet Club.

USATSI-doug-pederson-940x540.jpg

I have to say that I find most of your posts absolutely hilarious! Man juice...haha. Anyway, as an outside perspective, I see the Wentz thing being a no lose situation. He definitely needs better protection than the O-line may be able to provide, which might be the only downside, but the team will be better off with him under center. Certainly better off than if Bradford or Daniel were the QB. I see no better than 6 wins for them but it's not a throwaway season.

53 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Amazingly, I'm already burned out on retired Peyton Manning commercials.

I'm already exhausted of FanDuel & DraftKings ads, myself.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 9/4/2016 at 8:18 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

First of all, the staring off into the distance to start this one was good movie making, until he took the wrong position. I thought his reaction was going to be completely different. When I heard the trade I first thought EDP would be thrilled, and yes every time something happens with the Philadelphia Eagles I think about some youtube shouter who named himself Eat Dat P*****, but I guess he’s not able to take a stance that has multiple layers and even goes “I GOT MIXED EMOTIONS!” which doesn’t work with his schtick. He admits what they got was a good haul and he admits that this season was f***** to begin with, but he’s gotta be angry guy about something the Eagles do, that’s his thing, so he’s crabby about Chase Daniel starting. Any Eagles fan should be ecstatic be rid of Sam Bradford and shouldn’t care who the starter is. It may be ugly football, but you’ll have 2 first round picks in the 2017 draft, but more importantly Sam Bradford is no longer on your team and these are good things.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived