NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

Some predictions on the eve of football:

AFC

East: New England (11-5), Buffalo (9-7), NY Jets (8-8), Miami (5-11). The Patriots start out poorly, but finish strong, earning 1st-round bye. New England makes it to their sixth consecutive AFC Championship game, however the lose the game for the 4th time in the last 5 years. Buffalo sneaks in the playoffs as the 6th seed.

North: Cincinnati (11-5), Pittsburgh (10-6), Baltimore (7-9), Cleveland (5-11). The Bengals win their second consecutive division title for the first time in franchise history and in a Wild-Card matchup between two long suffering cities, Buffalo and Cincinnati, the Bengals finally win their first playoff game in 26 years.

South: Houston (10-6), Indianapolis (8-8), Jacksonville (7-9), Tennessee (5-11). Houston wins their second consecutive division title despite a poor back half of the season. They're throttled in the Wild Card round by the Steelers. Jacksonville's new look defense finishes in the top 10.

West: Oakland (12-4), Kansas City (9-7), San Diego (8-8), Denver (7-9). Yes, that's the right. The Oakland Raiders not only reach the postseason for the first time since 2002, they win the division and earn home-field advantage throughout the postseason. However, like many things in the sports world, Pittsburgh ruins sports and eliminates them in the divisional round. Denver, despite having one of the leagues best defenses, can't emulate last season's success due to less than stellar QB play. 

Conference Championship: Steelers 34, Patriots 23.

NFC

East: Dallas (11-5), NY Giants (9-7), Washington (7-9), Philadelphia (4-12). Dallas performs well with Dak under center, going 4-2 in Romo's absence. Once he returns, the Cowboys rip off 7 wins in their next 9, before resting Tony and some key starters in the finale against Philly. The Giants struggle a bit early on but recover nicely to earn a postseason berth as the 5th seed. Washington looks strong early in the season before their gauntlet of tough games in Weeks 8-15 knock the Redskins out of the playoff picture. Wentz struggles, but shows flashes of why the Eagles selected him 2nd overall and their defense looks dominated throughout the season.

North: Green Bay (12-4), Chicago (8-8), Detroit (6-10), Minnesota (5-11). Green Bay storms back and reclaims the NFC North crown behind an MVP season from Aaron Rodgers. Chicago surprises and manages a .500 campaign. Minnesota founds out how terrible Hill and Bradford truly are and are left wondering what if, seeing as Teddy's injury ruined what looked like could have been an excellent season.

South: Carolina (11-5), Tampa Bay (7-9), Atlanta (7-9), New Orleans (4-12). Carolina regresses a bit and don't look quite like the 15-win team from the past season, but are still formidable team, easily winning their division for the 4th year in a row. Tampa Bay makes some strides and finishes only 2 games out of the playoffs. They show flashes of being a playoff team but due to their inexperience, they lose some crucial games in the 4th. 

West: Seattle (13-3), Los Angeles (9-7), Arizona (8-8), San Francisco (3-13). Per the norm, Seattle starts out slow before utterly dominating opponents, easily winning their 2nd division title in 3 years. The Rams make the playoffs behind a solid defense and solid offense with an outstanding running game. Arizona comes back to earth after a fantastic 3 year period and essentially losing a playoff game for the 6th seed in Week 17, to LA.

Conference Championship: Seahawks 24, Cowboys 20

Super Bowl LI, The RedemptionSeahawks 26, Steelers 19.

MVP: Aaron Rodgers

COY: Del Rio

OPOY: Cam Newton

DPOY: Khalil Mack

OROY: Ezekiel Elliot

DROY: Jalen Ramsey

CBPOY: Tony Romo

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call me crazy, but I'm not big on the Rams this year. They are in a tough division with less than stellar QB play, plus they are a very young team, and God will likely curse them with injuries since they left the best fans in baseball. I doubt they go better than 8-8. 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

3 hours ago, Kaz said:

I can't believe so many people are thinking that the Broncos are suddenly going to become mediocre. 

Raiders & Chiefs impress me more.  Not least they have QBs who weren't battling Mark Sanchez for a job.  Hell, I've even seen more Chargers love than expected, & I have them finishing last in the West.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

10 hours ago, Kaz said:

I can't believe so many people are thinking that the Broncos are suddenly going to become mediocre.  Trevor Semin leads them to their second straight Superbowl berth while the Osweiler-led Texans crash and burn to 5-11, proving that they can win with anyone behind center, even Manziel.

Here is a list of Big Ten (!) QBs who had a better (QB Raiting) season than Siemian during his 2014 Senior season.

1.  J.T. Barrett

2.  Connor Cook

3.  Gary Nova

4.  Wes Luntt

5.  Jake Rudock

6.  Tommy Armstrong, Jr.

7.  Mitch Liedner

8.  Reilly O'Toole

9.  Devin Gardner

10.  C.J. Brown

11.  Joel Stave (!)

12.  Christian Hackenberg (!!)

LOL UR BONED!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

and the reason they won the Super Bowl, the defense, had a bunch of contributors leave or drunkenly shoot themselves so the defense will be worse and the offense will, at best, be just as mediocre as they were and very likely even worse. 

Predictions:

- The Raiders or Bills will end their playoff droughts. Most likely the Raiders.

- Ben Roethlisberger won't play a full season.

- The Ravens will be bad. 

- The Browns will win more games than people think and RGIII will stay mostly healthy.

- The Vikings will win 10 games.

- The Patriots will not play in the AFC championship game.

- The Bengals will win a playoff game this year. 

- The Colts will lose a playoff game this year. 

- The Seahawks, Texans, and Broncos will not be in the playoffs 

- Division winners: Bengals, Patriots, Colts, Chiefs, Packers, Dan Snyder's On-Fire Train Wreck, Panthers, Cardinals

- Wildcards: Buccaneers, Vikings, Raiders, Steelers

PvO6ZWJ.png

Prediction time:

AFC

East

New England 11-5 (They go 1-3 without Brady, 10-2 with him)

NY Jets 9-7

Buffalo 8-8

Miami 6-10

North

Pittsburgh 12-4

Cincinnati 11-5

Baltimore 8-8

Cleveland 3-13

South (aka the co-worst division in football)

Indianapolis 9-7

Houston 8-8

Jacksonville 8-8

Tennessee 4-12

West

Kansas City 11-5

Oakland 10-6

Denver 9-7

San Diego 8-8

NFC

East (aka the co-worst division in football)

NY Giants 9-7

Washington 8-8

Dallas 7-9

Philadelphia 5-11

North

Green Bay 14-2

Minnesota 10-6 (Losing Bridgewater is huge, but Hill is efficient enough to get by, plus they have the best RB in football and a stout defense)

Detroit 8-8

Chicago 6-10

South

Carolina 12-4

Tampa Bay 7-9

Atlanta 7-9

Nawlins 5-11

West

Seattle 13-3

Arizona 12-4

Los Angeles 7-9

San Francisco 5-11

PLAYOFFS

AFC

New England over Cincinnati

Oakland over Indianapolis

Pittsburgh over Oakland

New England over Kansas City

Pittsburgh over New England

NFC

Arizona over Carolina

Minnesota over NY Giants

Green Bay over Minnesota

Seattle over Arizona

Green Bay over Seattle

SUPERBOWL- Green Bay over Pittsburgh

sig.png

Also I think everybody's overrating Buffalo. So here's my predictions where I'm overrating the Jets because I have no idea how that crowded wild card race is going to shake out

(EDIT: Linking for size)

Also, for those that don't follow me on Twitter, GREATEST DIVISION IN SPORTS is my name for the NFC East because they're on the 4:25 Fox (or whatever Buck and Aikman are calling), SNF, and MNF games all the time and get the most media attention but is actually an awful division. MAJAH MARKETS everybody!

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I didn't know we were supposed to care about what people did during the national anthem. Honestly, those who think it's ok will never be convinced it's not and those who don't think it's ok will never be convinced it's ok. Jesus, there are much bigger fish to fry over whatever the :censored: Colin Kaepernick or Brandon "I gotta differentiate myself from the other Brandon Marshall" Marshall is doing this week.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I care, because I appreciate their courage and care about the statement they're making. Also, it might lead to the national anthem not being played before NFL (or other sports) games, which would be a pretty good outcome. There's way too much empty patriotism in our country.

---

It is nice to have real football back. Trevor Siemian has too many vowels in his name.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

39 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

And Brandon Marshall of the Broncos becomes the first to not stand for the anthem at a regular season game this year.

Rumors are also going around of the Seahawks planning a team-wide protest during the anthem. 

Edit: :censored:

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Just now, BlackBolt3 said:

That's the wrong Brandon Marshall, unless the linebacker played for the Bears too.

Dammit.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

30 minutes ago, Brass said:

I didn't know we were supposed to care about what people did during the national anthem. Honestly, those who think it's ok will never be convinced it's not and those who don't think it's ok will never be convinced it's ok. Jesus, there are much bigger fish to fry over whatever the :censored: Colin Kaepernick or Brandon "I gotta differentiate myself from the other Brandon Marshall" Marshall is doing this week.

I really hope you just teach adult school or to second language English speakers and that you don't have access to influencing the minds of younglings. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

15 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I care, because I appreciate their courage and care about the statement they're making. Also, it might lead to the national anthem not being played before NFL (or other sports) games, which would be a pretty good outcome. There's way too much empty patriotism in our country.

It's a tradition that's going on over 70 years now.  It's not going anywhere, especially with our troops still fighting overseas.

Plus, many teams (more so to the other Big 4 sports than the NFL) use the anthem as a way to sell tickets.  Want to sing?  Pass the auditions first, then sell a group package of tickets.

22 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

I really hope you just teach adult school or to second language English speakers and that you don't have access to influencing the minds of younglings. 

EDIT: Not worth it. I can't possibly expect an intelligent discussion with a guy named "Rockstar Matt."

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived