NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

11 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

It's a tradition that's going on over 70 years now.  It's not going anywhere, especially with our troops still fighting overseas.

Plus, many teams (more so to the other Big 4 sports than the NFL) use the anthem as a way to sell tickets.  Want to sing?  Pass the auditions first, then sell a group package of tickets.

What does the national anthem have to do with troops fighting overseas?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

What does the national anthem have to do with troops fighting overseas?

I dunno, something about a small token of appreciation to our past-and-present military for allowing us the freedoms we enjoy today.

If your lone reason for ending playing the anthem at games is because of your perception of "empty patriotism", that's a pretty weak argument.  What may be trivial to you holds high importance to others.

5 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I dunno, something about a small token of appreciation to our past-and-present military for allowing us the freedoms we enjoy today.

If your lone reason for ending playing the anthem at games is because of your perception of "empty patriotism", that's a pretty weak argument.  What may be trivial to you holds high importance to others.

Maybe other veterans are different but it does nothing for me, but I guess that second part of your post addresses that.  In fact, that this country goes so far out of it's way to show how patriotic it is in these meaningless displays yet does so little for some of it's veterans is more insulting than anything.

IUe6Hvh.png

Yeah. Put proper veteran health funding up for a vote and I'm all for it. Get Vietnam vets off the streets. Don't start unnecessary wars.

We're far afield from PRO FOOTBALL, but I think the couple of veterans holidays we have and our assumed thanks for peoples' service (I mean, obviously!) should be enough. And beyond that, singing a song about our country should  be a celebration of our country; not just our country's military. I don't get why anthem=support for the troops.

---

Back to PRO FOOTBALL: Panthers can't seem to catch a penalty break. They're still the better team so far.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

9 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Yeah. Put proper veteran health funding up for a vote and I'm all for it. Get Vietnam vets off the streets. Don't start unnecessary wars.

We're far afield from PRO FOOTBALL, but I think the couple of veterans holidays we have and our assumed thanks for peoples' service (I mean, obviously!) should be enough. And beyond that, singing a song about our country should  be a celebration of our country; not just our country's military. I don't get why anthem=support for the troops.

---

Back to PRO FOOTBALL: Panthers can't seem to catch a penalty break. They're still the better team so far.

They are, and the Broncos defense doesn't look as good as last year but they've played well in the second half.  I'm impressed by Siemian -- he's got the two picks but neither were egregious mistakes and he's made some pretty impressive throws.  Broncos need to figure out how to finish drives, though.

edit: And then the whole game swings on one swing pass.

IUe6Hvh.png

25 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I don't see how in any way it's a token of appreciation to our military.  I doubt any army man is shedding a tear when the anthem is played before a tennis match and thinking "now I know it's worth it."  It's all about getting a crowd riled up, and the lowest common denominator is patriotism.  Getting that "USA!" chant.  It's actually disrespectful - to intelligent free thinking people.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't see how in any way it's a token of appreciation to our military.  I doubt any army man is shedding a tear when the anthem is played before a tennis match and thinking "now I know it's worth it."  It's all about getting a crowd riled up, and the lowest common denominator is patriotism.  Getting that "USA!" chant.  It's actually disrespectful - to intelligent free thinking people.

So.....basically the "empty patriotism" defense, which we've established is the lame way out.

It's not just about the military, it's also a 90-second piece to remind us that we live in one helluva country, and we could be doing a lot worse.  We aren't perfect.  It doesn't have to bring one to tears for the anthem to have emotional attachment for whomever.

If the lone negative for playing the anthem is "empty patriotism", the positives for keeping the anthem outweigh the one negative.

As for football....the Panthers are back to their ugly-but-somehow-effective offense.  A bit of a bailout with the defensive penalty, but they derp their way down the field.  At least their offense last year looked fluid.

4 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

That was a weird finish. I don't understand how the Broncos won that game, but it's clear that they did.

Weird.

From right around the point when you said the Panthers were the better team and I agreed with you to pretty much the end, I thought the Broncos were pretty clearly the better of the two.  The pass rush was awesome there at the end and it took the Broncos bailing Carolina out twice for them to even get into position for the FG.

IUe6Hvh.png

God, so many Ram defenders are going to end up getting fined/suspended thanks to the bounty system and the reaction to this game.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It looks gross when you watch them all in succession: http://deadspin.com/the-broncos-went-at-cam-newtons-head-all-night-1786417452

airojbw5tvsddvgzse1n.gif

I don't understand why football is so popular, the so called number 1 game in America......i mean, the game takes 3 or 4 hours and there is only 20 minutes of actual gameplay.

And the players ! just thugs and criminals, wife beaters, kaepernick´s , and  other lowlifes.

Can you tell me the appeal ? Is it a tradition thing ? :wacko:

9 hours ago, Uglybus said:

Carson "Can't miss" Wentz. 

This is actually funny! It's 2 minutes too long, but the parody of trick shot videos (an actual youtube genre) is a solid premise. 

I didn't like all the non called torpedos at Cam Newton's head or that an intentional grounding penalty and a helmet to helmet roughing the passer are offsetting penalties. Those two things are not equal at all. Actually, "I was about to get drilled in the head so I threw the ball away" is a pretty reasonable defense. And I stand by my prediction that the Broncos are going to have a fall off. I knew as soon as Gano hit the field goal during the timeout and made it that he was going to over think and miss the live kick. Seen it a thousand times. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived