NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I happen to tune in to the Fox morning pregame show and just saw the ego-stroking from the Cowboys and their 1.2 billion dollar facility in Frisco, Texas.

But hey, some dude sits for an anthem because black people have it pretty rough at times in this country. You know what could help with that? Money. Like, oh, a billion dollars. That'd be a start.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Carson Wentz with an incredible opening drive. Doesn't flinch when blitzed, laying balls in there perfectly. Only incompletion was an easy drop. It's only one drive, but at least so far, I don't wish bodily injury to an Eagles QB. 

I wish i could see EDp's live reaction. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Browns TD only because of a questionable PI call in the end zone on 3rd and goal. Game could very easily be 20-0 at this point. Browns catch is a moron, going for it on 4th and long on own side of field. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

45 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Hopefully a pre-game reaction can suffice for now.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Short, but accurate (at least for that one play). 

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Carson Wentz with an incredible opening drive. Doesn't flinch when blitzed, laying balls in there perfectly. Only incompletion was an easy drop. It's only one drive, but at least so far, I don't wish bodily injury to an Eagles QB. 

Not trying to be a buzzkill and I don't want to take anything away from Wentz's performance - I think the Eagles will be OK is Wentz is decent - but you might want to keep in mind the team against which he and the Eagles are doing this. 

BB52Big.jpg

Are the Jets slowly fading to a gray and white team? Most of their green looks absolutely awful today. The shoulder stripes and the helmets look almost okay I guess, but the pants and shoulders look ridiculous.

(I know Jets color issues are nothing new, but I don't remember it being this bad in this way.)

Classic San Diego and Phillip Cry Me A Rivers. Winning at half by multiple scores and blowing it in the second half. 

Can't believe the Bengals won. That one hurts my team. The Steelers have to win Monday and next week or we fall behind early, especially since the Ravens and Browns play each other as well next week. 

Even though he missed it, kudos to Lutz for making a 61-yard field goal attempt look commendable. He sure had the distance down. 

Having read Twitter for the last hour, tweets from both fans and media, the huge consensus about Del Rio and Oakland going for two to win the game in the last minute instead of playing for OT was that it was "ballsy", "gutsy", "bold" and the like.  No one said it was a "dumb" move.

Interesting how it wasn't called a dumb move...probably because it was successful.  Saying a decision is "dumb" is all hindsight.  End of story.

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Not trying to be a buzzkill and I don't want to take anything away from Wentz's performance - I think the Eagles will be OK is Wentz is decent - but you might want to keep in mind the team against which he and the Eagles are doing this. 

Understood - the Browns are basically an expansion team that may win two games.  On the other hand, the Eagles aren't exactly a great team - I think the general consensus prediction for them is 5-6 wins - so it's good to see how they stand against their peers so that you can extrapolate that in to (hopefully) success against the better teams once they're improved to be in that class.

Lost in all of this was that their coach was coaching his first game too - and to my surprise, didn't have time management issues, didn't take too long getting plays in, was smart with 4th downs, and generally seemed to have a decent plan for easing Wentz into things.  

It's one game.  One game against a horrible team.   But that one game went as well as anyone could have hoped.  Wentz' TD passes were perfect balls that honestly were Manning-esque in that only the Eagles guy could catch them - no INT.  He was consistently hitting guys in stride.  I haven't seen an Eagles QB that could throw like that in my lifetime.  He had a couple of bad ones, but nothing horrid.  He didn't kill any earthworms like McNabb used to all the time.

We will see, but when they get throttled by the good teams, it won't be because Wentz is making dumb decisions, or making terrible throws.  He'll make his rookie mistakes for sure, but he just seems "different" than other rookie QBs I've seen come and go.  

EDIT: Nick Foles had some similar games in 2013 in the midst of throwing 27 TDs vs 2 INTs.  He looked super accurate, in command, fearless, etc.  Obviously we know what happened to him.  It's easy to use that experience to temper feelings re: Wentz, but like I said, there's something intangible that's just "different".

32 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Having read Twitter for the last hour, tweets from both fans and media, the huge consensus about Del Rio and Oakland going for two to win the game in the last minute instead of playing for OT was that it was "ballsy", "gutsy", "bold" and the like.  No one said it was a "dumb" move.

Interesting how it wasn't called a dumb move...probably because it was successful.  Saying a decision is "dumb" is all hindsight.  End of story.

It was also utterly hysterical. You guys know why "Jagsguy.gif" exists? Because Del Rio was busy calling run play after run play, in the red zone, down 20, with 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter. The point being, Del Rio is famously conservative with his play calling preferences. So that Del Rio was going for two and the win today? I mean, I applaud the Georgie-esque ignoring of his own instincts on that one. That's not the Jack Del Rio I know at all.

spacer.png

Dak looks like the real deal. So does the Giants run defense. They've been outstanding. That Giants WR trio of Beckham, Cruz and Shepard is going to give defensive coordinators a ton of sleepless nights in the coming weeks. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Archived