NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

I think I was wrong about Carson Wentz. He looks like he gets it and I thought he was just a corny mofo from North Dakota who'd be intimidated by a big city. Though, in the hold your horses department, starting your first two games against the Browns and the Bears is about as easy a transition to the NFL as anyone could hope for. I think he'll have a harder time with Pittsburgh this week, but it'd be really cool if he didn't. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I think I was wrong about Carson Wentz. He looks like he gets it and I thought he was just a corny mofo from North Dakota who'd be intimidated by a big city. Though, in the hold your horses department, starting your first two games against the Browns and the Bears is about as easy a transition to the NFL as anyone could hope for. I think he'll have a harder time with Pittsburgh this week, but it'd be really cool if he didn't. 

That would make me extremely happy.

I feel hungover and defeated today.  I'm stuck rooting for the Chicago Browns.  They have no idea what they're doing.  Everyone within the franchise needs to die/get fired/retire/resign.  

I've seen enough of Fox.  Pace is whatever.  Injuries are a sign that this team is an affront to God, and in His infinite wisdom He is trying to crush this franchise into ash.  All I have is despair.  All I know is frustration.  I hate this team and life in general. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Just to further emphasize this....Ryan Leaf started his NFL career 2-0 as well.

And, I don't hold it against the Browns for making this trade.  When you've been this down for this long, you just need a ton of picks.  They'd rather "get 6 right out of 11 picks" in one draft than "get 4 right out of 7".  A huge part of the Patriots success has been just having a larger quantity of picks than the rest of the league.  Their success percentage/rate has been around the league average.  Cleveland wasn't playing for success this season...they're playing for down the road.  They need help all over, not just the QB position...although having a right answer at QB can mask some of your problems.

From an outside perspective (i.e as a fan) Wentz was a huge risk. As a civilian, I don't blame the Browns at all for collecting picks. They need more than a QB, and unless it's a franchise guy, they had to trade. 

However, it would appear that some teams saw something in him that made them feel he was a franchise guy and worth the risk. While it's only two games, he's certainly not a Ryan leaf (who's big problem was between his ears) and IMO will be a franchise guy. That the Browns not only missed that - but said he's not a top-20 QB - would infuriate me if I was a fan. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Most of you know how negative I am about the Eagles. Not CS85 level of letting them ruin my life and just being almost comically depressed, but I hate a lot of what this team has done, have wished a terminal illness on one QB, criticized a coach for his inability to care for himself and his family, and don't get me started on McNabb. But hell - I'm sold on this guy. If I'm wrong then so be it - and I'll probably wish a terminal illness or broken spine on him - but I'm on board. And I don't even like him personally - in fact I think I would dislike him if I knew him. 

It takes superbowl(s) to be in the Brady/Manning category, so it will take years to see if he gets there. I love Breese but he's not in their class. Wentz seems like he has that kind of potential

Generally when Eaglss are playing a Brady, Rogers, etc. you just know they're going to make a 3rd down play, and if the eagles hold, it's a relief. Converly, it's a relief when the eagles offense would actually convert a 3rd down and not throw a pick or make a dumb play.   With Wentz, I finally feel that the Eagles actually have one of those guys who opposing fans expect to make the third down - and I finally feel confident that they'll convert too. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I wrote this piece for my blog today, which is mostly Chicago Bears centric.  I'd love to know what you think.  

http://untakenblogurl.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-bleak-desperate-voyage-of-goodship.html

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 9/20/2016 at 10:55 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

From an outside perspective (i.e as a fan) Wentz was a huge risk. As a civilian, I don't blame the Browns at all for collecting picks. They need more than a QB, and unless it's a franchise guy, they had to trade. 

However, it would appear that some teams saw something in him that made them feel he was a franchise guy and worth the risk. While it's only two games, he's certainly not a Ryan leaf (who's big problem was between his ears) and IMO will be a franchise guy. That the Browns not only missed that - but said he's not a top-20 QB - would infuriate me if I was a fan. 

If Wentz would have been picked by Cleveland he'd either already be hurt, or just now getting ready to start in week 3 after a whole offseason working with the second/third team. Most people assume that just because he's playing great in Philadelphina, that automatically means he would have done the same in Cleveland. He would have been a bust just like the other 25 before him. Same thing would have happened to Bridgewater, Carr and every other QB they passed up.

Now it's all Wentz v Goff though I don't think this should be treated nearly as closely as Manning-Leaf, both of whom were under spotlight much of their college careers.  

I never heard of Goff until Bowl season, & even then he seemed just 'the safest of a plain class' coming out.  
Sure Goff could be a bust, yet I really don't think he should be mentioned as some legacy bust quite alongside Leaf & Russell.  Yes the Rams paid dearly for the pick, but so did Ditka for Williams & he didn't lead the Saints or anyone else much either.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Former Redskins LB Keenan Robinson says that players would immediately start pointing fingers at each other following losses. This really doesn't surprise me at all. The team does always seem to give off a disfunctional vibe. Hence why the team immediately point fingers at Kirk Cousins for their losses even though the defense is equally at fault. You could even say the play calling is extremely questionable.

4 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Now it's all Wentz v Goff though I don't think this should be treated nearly as closely as Manning-Leaf, both of whom were under spotlight much of their college careers.  

I never heard of Goff until Bowl season, & even then he seemed just 'the safest of a plain class' coming out.  
Sure Goff could be a bust, yet I really don't think he should be mentioned as some legacy bust quite alongside Leaf & Russell.  Yes the Rams paid dearly for the pick, but so did Ditka for Williams & he didn't lead the Saints or anyone else much either.

Good lord, it's been two games! Let's wait a while before we start applying the bust and HOF labels to each of those guys.

15 hours ago, rickyISking said:

Good lord, it's been two games! Let's wait a while before we start applying the bust and HOF labels to each of those guys.

But this is what talking head have to talk about. Instead of hearing about the upcoming matchups, you hear incessant banter about this kind of crap.

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

The same officer also talked down another suicidal man by talking about Notre Dame football. That guy needs to teach a course!

On 9/21/2016 at 3:58 PM, rickyISking said:

Give it at least 2-3 years before calling the bust/HOF cards. Even if Wentz does well this season, let's see how he does afterwards. RG3 came onto the scene as a world beater in his first season only to sink in his 2 and 3rd season, ultimately losing his job to Kirk Cousins. 

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The NFL won't allow that to happen. They also have 4 days to fix things as opposed to no time at all. 

They a MLB playoff game in St. Louis during the Ferguson (Mike Brown) protests/riots, as well as a Rams/Seahawks game too.

The National Guard will be deployed to make sure that game takes place at BoA Stadium.

Archived