NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much to take away from the game last night. The Dolphins are very bad. That's what I gathered. They might be dumber than the Bengals which is hard to do. I'd never seen this before - a dude just straight up shoved the punter well after the ball was kicked for no reason. They gave him a 15 yard penalty because of course and I'm pretty sure the Bengals turned that into a field goal. Why would you think shoving the punter after he's kicked the ball is a good idea? 

The Bengals' red zone offense will be fine once Eifert comes back against Dallas so not that worried. They seemed to iron out their own dumb mistakes issues. I'm looking at their schedule and not overly worried. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think the league had the right idea at first, which was Thursday and Saturday games from Thanksgiving to the end of the year as a run-up to the playoffs. Then they got greedy, as they always do. I would rather see national Saturday doubleheaders in the home stretch with no Thursday games but Thanksgiving (and Christmas Day, make sure there's a game on whatever day Christmas falls on, because we need football on TV to distract us from relatives we don't like). That would surely mean fewer national games altogether, but whatever, America doesn't need Dolphins-Bengals games as much as it thinks it does.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

16 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

I've probably said it before but The Shield™ really needs to scrap the Thursday night games. It further dilutes the product. 

I don't understand why Dallas and Detroit (who have a Thursday game) need to play on a Thursday night simply because "every team needs to play on Thursday night".

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

7 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

I don't understand why Dallas and Detroit (who have a Thursday game) need to play on a Thursday night simply because "every team needs to play on Thursday night".

If I've seen the schedule correctly, Detroit's lone Thursday game is their normal 12:30pm Thanksgiving Day game.  Dallas has a Thursday night game the week after their Thanksgiving afternoon game, but that's against Minnesota, and both will be able to treat it as a regular week since both will be on normal 7-day schedules.  And, if you see the Cowboys' schedule annually, you always see a bunch of national television games, whether it's primetime or the back-end of the doubleheader.  Folks will watch the Cowboys, whether it's to cheer for or against them.  It's never a bad financial/viewership decision to put the Cowboys game on at night.

As long as they keep these Thursday night games (and seeing the money involved with it....they aren't going away any time soon), the math says that there's 17 Thursday games between Weeks 2 and 16, so everyone's getting one (to keep things fair) and two teams are getting a second one. The NFL will try their best to have two of the Thanksgiving Day participants play in the following week's Thursday game so that they get to treat it as a normal week (and since the Thanksgiving night game can select any two teams, it makes the most sense to hand-pick one of the teams that's on Detroit's or Dallas's predetermined opponents play that game, if need be).

It would be difficult, but could they at least time Thursday games to follow teams' bye weeks? Four days rest isn't fair or good for anyone.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

26 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

It would be difficult, but could they at least time Thursday games to follow teams' bye weeks? Four days rest isn't fair or good for anyone.

Kinda hard to schedule Thursday games after byes when you consider that there are going to be Thursday games on every week between Week 2 and Week 16.

The quality of the product does dip a bit on three days rest.  However, it's fair because every team will have a Thursday appearance.  And while it's not good on the front-side with just three days off between games, the backside is the benefit that the players enjoy....with nine off days between games, it's basically a second bye.

3 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

If I've seen the schedule correctly, Detroit's lone Thursday game is their normal 12:30pm Thanksgiving Day game.  Dallas has a Thursday night game the week after their Thanksgiving afternoon game, but that's against Minnesota, and both will be able to treat it as a regular week since both will be on normal 7-day schedules.  And, if you see the Cowboys' schedule annually, you always see a bunch of national television games, whether it's primetime or the back-end of the doubleheader.  Folks will watch the Cowboys, whether it's to cheer for or against them.  It's never a bad financial/viewership decision to put the Cowboys game on at night.

Duh, of course. How could I forget that. The Cowboys would draw in crowds to watch; like you said regardless of rooting interest.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

2 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

The quality of the product does dip a bit on three days rest.  However, it's fair because every team will have a Thursday appearance.  And while it's not good on the front-side with just three days off between games, the backside is the benefit that the players enjoy....with nine off days between games, it's basically a second bye.

While I'm a proponent of "it all balances out in the end" when it comes to things like, say, calling balls and strikes, I don't think the extended time off following the game is as beneficial as the short turnaround is detrimental. There should be bye weeks prior to Thursday games, and that's achieved only by significantly cutting back on Thursday games, which would suit most people just fine, other than CBS or NBC or whichever billion-dollar network can't develop any actual TV shows worth a damn and has to cover its ass with low-grade football.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It was years before I figured out why the NFL never scheduled more Saturday night games (NCAAF).  Being Canadian, I wasn't yet fully immersed.  I love them but I'd not want them all season.

I think one TNF game a month would be perfect.  Opening night Sept, Thanksgiving Nov, & just 2 other random matchups for Oct & Dec.  

I'd also, & this includes their current schedule, create more inter conference matchups.  Steelers-Eagles would've been a good one this past week.  Instead we get a lot of divisional matchups, which much of us have little care for (Jaguars-Titans is not sexy to anyone outside a couple thousand viewers).

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

So not only is a helmet-to-helmet hit penalty somehow offset by a ticky-tack 'taunting' penalty, it's the guy who got called for 'taunting' who gets put on a last warning before an ejection.

NFL priorities, everybody!!

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Archived