NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

2 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Putting Romo in would seriously put the team momentum and mojo in serious jeopardy. You have to ride the hot hand, and that's Dak right now.

Sports momentum does not exist.

More importantly, the Cowboys need to work off the fact that ten days ago, the Eagles were 3-0 and are now staring 3-3 in the face with a game versus MIN and their best OL Lane Johnson suspended before they play each other.

While Dak is doing well, Garrett and Linehan "Alex Smith-ing" him. We we all know that it's hard to win multiple games in January with an "Alex Smith".

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bears are now in a messy QB Situation. Cutler is still injured, Hoyer broke his arm tonight, and Matt Barkley (who I had no idea was on Chicago's roster) is now the starting QB with Zach Miller as the Emergency QB.

With that said, how do the Bears address this?

3 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Bears are now in a messy QB Situation. Cutler is still injured, Hoyer broke his arm tonight, and Matt Barkley (who I had no idea was on Chicago's roster) is now the starting QB with Zach Miller as the Emergency QB.

With that said, how do the Bears address this?

Eh.  By doing as close to nothing as possible to ensure the #1 pick in the draft.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On October 19, 2016 at 4:03 PM, dfwabel said:

Sports momentum does not exist.

More importantly, the Cowboys need to work off the fact that ten days ago, the Eagles were 3-0 and are now staring 3-3 in the face with a game versus MIN and their best OL Lane Johnson suspended before they play each other.

While Dak is doing well, Garrett and Linehan "Alex Smith-ing" him. We we all know that it's hard to win multiple games in January with an "Alex Smith".

Dak is 3rd in the NFL in YPA at 8.17 (a higher YPA average than Alex Smith has ever had in his career). He also has more TD's, less INT's, a higher completion percentage, higher passer rating, and more yards than Alex Smith. 

Let's not keep this misconception that Dak only throws short passes going. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

31 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Dak is 3rd in the NFL in YPA at 8.17 (a higher YPA average than Alex Smith has ever had in his career). He also has more TD's, less INT's, a higher completion percentage, higher passer rating, and more yards than Alex Smith. 

Let's not keep this misconception that Dak only throws short passes going. 

Matt, I'm looking at the throw charts, like this one through the 49ers game

ct2aygoxyaajfvm_zps6iiuwp4o.jpg

Or the one here from last week.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/10/18/sturm-decoding-linehan-beating-packers-blitz-lucky-whitehead-game

They don't have him throw 20+ yards down the field, Dez or no Dez.

At this rate the Bears shouldn't be booked to play a primetime game for another 8 years.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

John Fox probably should have chosen a different post-retirement job than coaching the Chicago Bears, like perhaps being an elementary school crossing guard or a Wal-Mart greeter.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Matt, I'm looking at the throw charts, like this one through the 49ers game

ct2aygoxyaajfvm_zps6iiuwp4o.jpg

Or the one here from last week.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/10/18/sturm-decoding-linehan-beating-packers-blitz-lucky-whitehead-game

They don't have him throw 20+ yards down the field, Dez or no Dez.

You do realize that Dak has played in 6 games now, not 4, and his stats have changed a bit. Your graphic is outdated. That 30 second drive at the end of the first half against the Packers included two throws of 42 yards and 20 yards, the latter was a TD. Just these two plays makes your graphic outdated and gives Dak a 126.6 passer rating on throws over 20 yards to the deep right. 135 passer rating if you include that 35 yard pass to Lucky Whitehead. FYI, in the 3rd quarter, Dak threw a 40+ yard dime only to have Butler drop it on the play before he threw his first INT.

Dak does throw it downfield, just not as often as Tony would.

To say Dak is Alex Smith-esque, is extremely near-sighted and ignorant. There's more substance to your argument had you said Carson Wentz is a bit like Alex Smith (although Smith wishes he had the kind of arm Wentz does). Smith plays in a West-Coast offense that feasts on screens and slants. Dak does not. Smith likes to run out of the pocket even when it's completely unnecessary. Dak does not. By the way, Alex Smith is 24th in YPA and like I said before, Dak is 3rd. 

Again, Dak is not anything like Alex Smith.

He is selective with his throws downfield, yes. But majority of his passes are short passes. Let's not be too quick to make him the greatest qb ever. There's still plenty of season to go. He has a good o-line and a run game, that helps him out immensely. Most rookie qb's that come into the league don't have that benefit. Honestly, a lot of veterans wish they had that as well. 

On 10/20/2016 at 10:22 AM, chcarlson23 said:

What do you play?!?!? GOLF?!?!?

Actually, I do.

Now please understand physics (or whichever science you need to graduate) and get your HS diploma.

Winning or losing one score games has nothing to do with "momentum".

11 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Actually, I do.

Now please understand physics (or whichever science you need to graduate) and get your HS diploma.

Physics major here, physics has absolutely nothing to do with what we call momentum in the sports world. That was one of the more lame insults I've seen on these boards.

Momentum exists in sports, but you can't use it to predict anything.  Teams have momentum until they don't.  It's more like "the team is doing well at the moment".  It's not a law that the team has to keep doing well, but you do see swings in games where one team or the other is in control.

8 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Physics major here, physics has absolutely nothing to do with what we call momentum in the sports world. That was one of the more lame insults I've seen on these boards.

Yes, for instance,

On 10/20/2016 at 0:22 PM, chcarlson23 said:

What do you play?!?!? GOLF?!?!?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

20 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Actually, I do.

I don't think you understand what momentum is sports is...

Momentum comes from what happens to a team in a game... A team that fumbles the ball, with 3 mins left, on a drive that would have won the game, usually has their momentum shattered. The other team gets new life, and the momentum swings the other way. A tough, soul-crushing loss can kill the momentum of a team in their season. They look like their gonna go 10-6 and make the playoffs, but a terrible loss in week 8, may end up making them 7-9 in the long run. It's not something that's set in stone, and some teams do rebound from terrible losses, but some don't. 

In the post that you mentioned the sports momentum in, putting Romo back in after playing Dak could kill the momentum...Imagine if the first drive with Romo ends in a pick. Romo and everyone else would be feeling pretty bad. Romo wouldn't play as confident, and would probably make more mistakes. This then makes pretty much everyone feel like they've had a bad game, and the next few weeks might just be terrible for the cowboys. That would be bad momentum for the Cowboys. Good momentum would be the team has a great game, and then another, and then a HUGE upset, and then eventually their playing for the Super Bowl...

But momentum changes more in faster sports. That's where the comment about golf comes in... Golf has pretty much no momentum changes. The few times I've seen it is when a guy misses a putt or two. That's about it. Momentum in hockey however changes drastically. A player could try to pass the puck out of his zone, turn it over and get scored on. Even if the team is better on paper, they might not win that game anymore. Have you even heard of the dreaded 2-goal lead? A team that's up by two looks like they're in control of the game. But if they other team scores a goal, now they have some momentum, and all it takes is one more shot to tie the game. Even bigger leads can be shattered when a team scores two quick ones. Momentum in sports has nothing to do with physics or any kind of science, it's about the flow of the game and the season. THERE. I defined sports momentum for you. I hope you understand now...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

It's such a great feeling not to be held hostage by the Bears today. I'm so glad they lost Thursday and got the weekly humiliation out of the way early so now I can not watch football whatsoever this weekend.

twitter

Archived