NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

20 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Momentum exists in sports, but you can't use it to predict anything.  Teams have momentum until they don't.  It's more like "the team is doing well at the moment".  It's not a law that the team has to keep doing well, but you do see swings in games where one team or the other is in control.

So then momentum doesn't exist. That's essentially what you just said. 

Confidence exists and and can build and I think that's what is often seen as momentum. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Referees ruining another game. Skill doesn't matter. Luck and referees do. Anyone who gambles on football is an idiot since the teams don't really have much to do with the outcome. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

So then momentum doesn't exist. That's essentially what you just said. 

Confidence exists and and can build and I think that's what is often seen as momentum. 

I don't think confidence quite sums it up.  You can be confident as hell, and get curb stomped from start to finish.  I guess I'd say sports momentum is a confluence of confidence, ability, and luck.  It's getting all the plates spinning at the same time.

40 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Referees ruining another game. Skill doesn't matter. Luck and referees do. Anyone who gambles on football is an idiot since the teams don't really have much to do with the outcome. 

The hot story of the 2016 NFL season is why are ratings down? I think there are several:

- Referees taking over the games

- Peyton Manning retired

- Black lives matter and the kneeling thing

- Domestic abuse

- Overexposure with terrible Thursday games and terrible Sunday morning games. Scarcity (and a full Sunday slate) used to be one of the best parts about the NFL and that's now gone.

- They've spent a decade cracking down on players showing any personality, so people don't have any connection to players not named Brady or Manning or Rodgers

- Concussions

- Bizarre social media policies forcing teams to post electric football reenactments on their Twitter pages

- The CBA encourages having young players on the field who don't know how to play

Some of the solutions seem pretty straightfoward. Less holding penalties. Less/zero excessive celebration penalties. Stop it with the GIF police. Etc.  But referees taking over games is probably the biggest, to me. We all watch for flags after touchdowns and it's such a drag.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I don't watch because I get the same three teams every week -- Jacksonville, Tampa, and Dallas.  Every week. At least the first two are understandable. The rules don't help things. I like protecting the players. But the inability to actually cover somebody with everything being an automatic first down makes it hard to watch. The college rules for coverage are way better. 

IUe6Hvh.png

It sounds simple and stupid, but I think the NFL is suffering from a lack of good teams.  Ultimately, 31 of 32 teams end the year with disappointment; the NFL needs fans to have hope to stay engaged.  This is just anecdotal, but I feel like the bottom seeds in the playoffs are just losing less to get in lately, whereas the wild card teams were more dangerous a few years ago.  And this is the playoff teams... imagine what it's like for the other 20 teams!  By my guesstimation, I'd feel good as a fan of 3-5 out of the 16 teams in the AFC.  That's not great for the league.

10 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Typical Redskins. Game on the line and the defense puts in little effort. Let's the Lions march 75 yards down field in less than a minute for the game winning touchdown. 

I think we could say the same about the Lions. Stafford is becoming the comeback captain they need. Let's hope the momentum will continue to Houston.

27 minutes ago, rickyISking said:

Winston is a turnover machine. I usually don't believe in the sophomore slump, but it's hit Winston hard.

Rodgers is an absolute beast at running back! I say when Doug Martin gets back, promote Rodgers to back-up.

The Niners are absolute garbage at run defense. Don't read too much into it.

Also why didn't Buckner get tossed for the cheap shot?

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

55 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I see the Giants-Rams game in London was branded as a "Thursday Night Special," despite none of those three words applying.

Well, it depends on which definition of "special" you use....

I don't see many Chargers games.  I hear their fans' weekly head-shaking moments, but never really put much stock in it because it's right after the game.  But seeing how this second quarter has gone, I can see their frustration.  When they blow up, they sure do so in spectacular style.  This was a recent stretch of plays/moments, in order:

-Falcons kick off to Chargers, it short-hops the returner and he kicks it out of bounds around the 8-yard line.

-Chargers 3-and-out, short punt to the 50

-Falcons go four plays for a touchdown, capped with a 30-yard run

-Falcons kickoff, touchback

-On 2nd down, Rivers sacked

-Break huddle with 12 men, 5 yard penalty

-3rd down, Rivers sacked, ball fumbled, recovered by Falcons and short walk to end zone

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I see the Giants-Rams game in London was branded as a "Thursday Night Special," despite none of those three words applying.

#Branding

Speaking of which, Fisher is still committed to Keenum after today's 4 interception outing.

This means one of three things.

1) Despite setting the next few drafts on fire for Jared Goff, Goff is still not capable of turning in a performance better than Case Keenum's.  This is probably a fireable offense for those involved in the Rams' talent evaluation and development.

2) Goff may give the Rams a better chance of winning, but Fisher is too bloody-minded/committed to the 7-9 lifestyle/loyal to dump Keenum.  It goes without saying that this should be a fireable offense.

3) Goff may be better than Keenum, but the supporting cast on offense cannot give him a chance to succeed.  In light of Fisher having 4 1/2 years with this team to rebuild said offense, this is also a fireable offense.

So, yeah, Jeff Fisher should be fired.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I swear this game every time I look, a Niner is in pain on the ground.

Also here's some free fantasy advice: If you have a living and breathing running back and they're playing the Niners, start them with glee.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

After careful consideration, intense research, and tireless deliberation, I have come to the following conclusion:

The Ravens are a bad football team.

spacer.png

Archived