NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

I wonder what does everyone think about the complaints from players about celebrations do you think they are right about it taking fun away from the game or are you with league saying players need to be better role models for children

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rj0498 said:

I wonder what does everyone think about the complaints from players about celebrations do you think they are right about it taking fun away from the game or are you with league saying players need to be better role models for children

I think it's possible to celebrate scoring a TD without compromising role model status.

So yeah, put me on the taking fun away from the game.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

23 minutes ago, rams80 said:

I think it's possible to celebrate scoring a TD without compromising role model status.

So yeah, put me on the taking fun away from the game.

I am with you on that while there are many who say act like you have been there before I agree but I think you can do that and have fun it is a similar issue with baseball celebrating is frowned upon and yet it is something the fans enjoy

1 hour ago, Rj0498 said:

1. Don't delay the game.

2. Don't bring in props.

3. Don't taunt.

I think that's pretty much all you need.

What's wrong with props?

The lack of player individuality is hurting the NFL right now. The overabundance of referee personality, however -- and isn't it weird they're the only guys on the field who can show their faces? -- is killing it.

There is no joy in football.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

19 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

What's wrong with props?

You've crossed a line when a player runs to get a cell phone out from under the goalpost padding.  Using the ball as a prop is different.  Nothing extra should brought onto the field just for a TD celebration.

I am going to agree on that using the ball as a basketball is one thing but pulling a marker out of your sock to sign a ball is too much and delays the game there is having fun and there is just mugging for the camera

Yeah, but I really don't see the harm. Remember when TO had a run of doing something new each TD? And everyone asked "What will Owens do next?" That was a good thing!

You can always tell bad management when it's threatened by unexpected success. Rather than cultivate what people are reacting to, bad management tries to snuff it out. It's a bad thing. The NBA is doing gangbusters now in part because Adam Silver sits out where Stern would have stepped in. Goodell should be learning from boxing, horse racing and MLB. What was up can go down.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

That is true I just feel that there needs to be a fine balance between keeping things in order and having some fun because while it is good to have players show emotion and not be stoic robots I feel that having all these crazy pre planned celebrations might actually turn people off from watching

First Sunday not going in for work.  
Patriots bye week.

Of course.

Regarding ratings, I think we simply need more frequent matchups with team storylines.  Steelers-Ravens is rather sleepy, Seahawks-Niners collapsed, Brady-Manning is no more... 

A couple more of this Cowboys-Eagles reboot wouldn't hurt, the Seahawks not playing down so they can be alpha dogs again wouldn't hurt, & probably if these Raiders embarass someone on the way to/in January it'll only help.  

NFL is a tv show... when the f was the last time anyone watched the anthems on network broadcast that wasn't primetime?  Am I wrong on that?

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

You'd have to be some kind of dummy for non-televised anthem protests to affect your viewership. Certainly not anyone advertisers would want to reach.

3 hours ago, 2001mark said:

First Sunday not going in for work.  
Patriots bye week.

Of course.

Regarding ratings, I think we simply need more frequent matchups with team storylines.  Steelers-Ravens is rather sleepy, Seahawks-Niners collapsed, Brady-Manning is no more... 

A couple more of this Cowboys-Eagles reboot wouldn't hurt, the Seahawks not playing down so they can be alpha dogs again wouldn't hurt, & probably if these Raiders embarass someone on the way to/in January it'll only help.  

NFL is a tv show... when the f was the last time anyone watched the anthems on network broadcast that wasn't primetime?  Am I wrong on that?

Don't worry; we have our annual Cowboys-Giants classic in a couple of more weeks to spice things up! It's ALWAYS on primetime! :lol:

8 hours ago, DG_Now said:

You'd have to be some kind of dummy for non-televised anthem protests to affect your viewership. Certainly not anyone advertisers would want to reach.

the only people that the anthem protest is bothering is the highly marginal fringe cult of Trump crowd and most of them are too busy worshiping at the alter of Trump to be bothered to watch NFL or sports in general. The reason the ratings are down is because the product right is not that good or fun to watch. All of which has been articulated in the last few pages. The NFL moved towards a corporate, vanilla, sanitized product. Just look at the playoffs/Super Bowl logo system as a reflection of a boring and sanitized product. 

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

9 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Don't worry; we have our annual Cowboys-Giants classic in a couple of more weeks to spice things up! It's ALWAYS on primetime! :lol:

My running gag of calling the NFC East the GREATEST DIVISION IN SPORTS due to 4:25 Fox and SNF overexposure has been falling apart this season because the NFC East is actually good again. It's hurting my NFL joke #brand :(

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

The anthem protests shouldn't, and probably don't directly matter, but I think a lot of people are waking up and understanding that a good portion of the players they're going out of the way to watch are simply terrible human beings who have their whole lives handed to them on a silver platter and are allowed to beat up women, do drugs, park in handicapped spaces, punch police (Lesean McCoy), etc.  

I support the anthem protest, but if one doesn't, then it's just something that adds to their impression of who the players are that they're watching.

That, and the fact that the teams don't really matter to a lot of people anymore, and the red-zone and fantasy-scoring plays are what many people care about has to be a factor too.

The celebration thing is maybe a small part of it too.  Pro sports exists as an entertainment outlet.  If you want the game "the way it should be played" then watch amateur sports.  These guys are entertainers, who's job is to generate revenue, not win games (though they often go hand-in-hand.)  It's not that dissimilar to WWE in that respect, and it stupid that a guy can't do a dance or celebrate with teammates.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived