NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, BlackBolt3 said:

That sequence pretty much sums up why ratings are down.

Sums up why I'm slowly transitioning to a Premier League fan. Much better game overall. 

Go Tottenham!

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

3 hours ago, vicfurth said:

Richard Sherman is garbage. 

For a guy that complains about the excessive amount of penalties in the league, his team sure does get a lot breaks from those said penalties.

9 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

That sequence pretty much sums up why ratings are down.

I watched the last 5 minutes of the first half and that sequence was why I didn't come back for the second half. What a disgrace that was. 

If you didn't see it here's what happened:

1. 53 yard field goal attempt by Buffalo with 3 seconds left in the half. 

2. Richard Sherman of the Seahawks is egregiously offsides coming from the far side of the play.

3. Refs throw a flag for offsides. 

4. As the refs are throwing the flag for offsides and blowing their whistles Sherman dives into the Bills' Carpenter's legs.

5. The refs don't call a penalty on an obvious roughing the kicker situation. This is where it gets stupid 

6. Carpenter from the Bills is hurt because of it so the Bills medical staff comes onto the field.

7. Carpenter motions them away, says he's fine to stay in. 

8. The Bills get five yards closer to the field goal, but because the medical staff came on the field to attend to Carpenter it's announced that he has to leave the field of play for one snap. Had the roughing the kicker penalty been properly called then he would've been allowed to stay on the field.

9. Rex Ryan, understandably, loses his mind and most of the players leave the field for the locker room. 

10. the official has to get on the mic and literally says "the half is not over!"

11. So the Bills go back out and try to quickly spike the ball so Carpenter can come back on and kick the field goal. They manage to do this with 1 second left on the clock. I thought this was actually a really smart idea. Good quick thinking on the part of the Bills. 

12. Carpenter comes back and everyone lines up for the field goal, but the ref stands over the ball and didn't reset the play clock, causing a delay of game and a five yard penalty for the Bills

13. Carpenter missed the field goal. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I watched the last 5 minutes of the first half and that sequence was why I didn't come back for the second half. What a disgrace that was. 

If you didn't see it here's what happened:

1. 53 yard field goal attempt by Buffalo with 3 seconds left in the half. 

2. Richard Sherman of the Seahawks is egregiously offsides coming from the far side of the play.

3. Refs throw a flag for offsides. 

4. As the refs are throwing the flag for offsides and blowing their whistles Sherman dives into the Bills' Carpenter's legs.

5. The refs don't call a penalty on an obvious roughing the kicker situation. This is where it gets stupid 

6. Carpenter from the Bills is hurt because of it so the Bills medical staff comes onto the field.

7. Carpenter motions them away, says he's fine to stay in. 

8. The Bills get five yards closer to the field goal, but because the medical staff came on the field to attend to Carpenter it's announced that he has to leave the field of play for one snap. Had the roughing the kicker penalty been properly called then he would've been allowed to stay on the field.

9. Rex Ryan, understandably, loses his mind and most of the players leave the field for the locker room. 

10. the official has to get on the mic and literally says "the half is not over!"

11. So the Bills go back out and try to quickly spike the ball so Carpenter can come back on and kick the field goal. They manage to do this with 1 second left on the clock. I thought this was actually a really smart idea. Good quick thinking on the part of the Bills. 

12. Carpenter comes back and everyone lines up for the field goal, but the ref stands over the ball and didn't reset the play clock, causing a delay of game and a five yard penalty for the Bills

13. Carpenter missed the field goal. 

Of all the things that happened here, this was the most confusing.  As the kicker was taking his steps backwards, was thinking "uh-oh, they're not going to get it off...and they look really unaware...wait a sec, though, how did that happen so quickly?"  So it seems the officials were standing over the ball until there were 5 seconds on the play clock.  It was at best, poorly handled.  And I think we are at the point where we can give the Seahawks "elite team" status.  Stuff like this always seems to favor elite teams and Seattle seems to be getting there (the Fail Mary does not count as they were not elite then, it was fake officials, and the reason we are still mad about it because an elite team was on the wrong side).

To add to some of your points above:

#2/3/4/5.  I don't think Sherman's intent was malicious.  But there has to be a way to call roughing the kicker there.  "Unabated to the kicker" only works if the whistle stops the player.  If not, then any follow through resulting in hitting the leg of the exposed kicker needs to be a penalty.  Not sure what the rule is but if the rules prevented that from being called roughing, then the rules need to change.  (and as you say, with the Bills out of timeouts, he had to leave the field but would not have had be been the victim of a roughing call.

#12.  The flag for delay of game came really late (so late that I was thinking the clock on the scorebug must have been wrong).  And if I am not mistaken, that kick went through...insult to injury.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Q: (On the sequence of the play at the end of the first half, on why the play wasn’t blown dead for unabated to the kicker.)

Anderson: It was.  We were blowing it dead for unabated to the kicker, that is what the foul was.

Q: (On why there was no roughing foul for hitting the kicker.)

Anderson: We were shutting the play down, that would be my call.  I just didn’t feel like the actions and the contact, because we were shutting the play down, warranted a foul. 

Walt Anderson goes into detail regarding the end of the first half, as well as other calls from last night's game.

http://www.footballzebras.com/2016/11/08/cascading-errors-hit-anderson-crew-in-final-seconds-of-the-half/

7 hours ago, Cujo said:

In a league filled with unlikeable players and teams, Sunday Night gives us the two most despicable: New England and Seattle.

...and you wonder why ratings are down.

It is only in this league that the saying everyone loves a winner could be so wrong...

It's funny. I have been a Seahawks fan for over 25 years. In that time, the team has gone from being completely irrelevant in most people's eyes to one of the most hated teams in the league. I guess the same can be said for New England. 

7 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

It's funny. I have been a Seahawks fan for over 25 years. In that time, the team has gone from being completely irrelevant in most people's eyes to one of the most hated teams in the league. I guess the same can be said for New England. 

It is a variety of factors: sustained excellence, winning in controversial ways, unlikeable players ( granted I like Richard Sherman I find him entertaining) and a constant exposure to those teams exploits.

13 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Wonder how many players kneel for the anthem this week.  Wonder if any white players join in.

I plan to remain seated at any sporting events I am at for the forseeable future.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

3 hours ago, rams80 said:

I plan to remain seated at any sporting events I am at for the forseeable future.

I generally don't go to many sporting events so, I can't say if I will sit. I stand for the pledge at my house so I will remain seated there in protest.

Archived