NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/9/2016 at 5:37 PM, Rj0498 said:

I generally don't go to many sporting events so, I can't say if I will sit. I stand for the pledge at my house so I will remain seated there in protest.

You do the pledge of allegiance at home? :huh:

IUe6Hvh.png

29 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

Yes I do and I am aware of my error I meant to say anthem, but I was being real stupid and typed anthem

as a fan I'm not a fan.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 minutes ago, Wings said:

Browns definitely going 0-16.  

I'm always of the mindset of "If you're going to be bad, be really bad and/or really entertaining".  And going 0-for the season does fall into that.

But it's just sad.  We knew they didn't have much of a chance entering the season.  They've used six QB's this season...you don't even have that many QB's in camp.  This is the team that's basically closest to the capital of football.  One of the legacy franchises in American football history.  To see them reduced to a punchline for the last 20 years is painful.  I mean, it's funny to see that woman's Browns jersey with all those QB's names on it, but I can't imagine just seeing my team whiff and whiff and whiff on finding that long-term answer at quarterback.  They've tried drafting the QB's that were awesome in college, including a Heisman Trophy winner.  They've gone the free agent route, including a couple QB's that played in, or even won, the Super Bowl.  They've gone after the traditional QB's, the athletic and mobile QB's...you name it, the Browns have tried it.  And they've been wrong answers each time.  They've had to have cycled through 20+ QB's since they came back in 1999.  One playoff appearance, two winning seasons, am I right?  It's hard to do something 20+ times and not have at least one attempt be successful.

I feel for them and their fans.  It's just so hard to explain.  The Colts had one bad season in 20 years, and they happen into Andrew Luck.  The Packers took Aaron Rodgers after he fell hard in the first round.  The Patriots lucked into an all-timer with Brady.  The Saints got lucky in that Brees failed a physical in Miami.  The Cardinals were able to talk Carson Palmer to keep playing.  Hell, the Cowboys caught fire with Dak Prescott.  The Redskins drafted two QB's in one draft...and have had success with both.  We've seen other Heisman QB's do well in recent times.  But the Browns, for whatever reasons, just haven't found that luck.

Does anyone remember the Cleveland Cavs back in the early 80's?  The team was so bad, their front office was just so inept....the NBA gave them extra picks just to get their crap together.  At this point, I wouldn't care if the NFL gave the Browns some free supplemental draft picks so they quit becoming a joke.  The Falcons gave the Browns five picks in order to draft Julio Jones.  If I remember correctly, not only are those five drafted players no longer with the Browns...they aren't in the league at all.

9 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

New? Oh, they've been the undisputed champs in that department since '99, son. 

Yep. At least the Raiders have been to a Super Bowl in that timeframe...and they haven't sold out on their uniforms, either.

Also worth noting that Jimmy Haslam III was apparently raised a Steelers fan, and was in the Steelers FO before buying the Browns. Talk about a double whammy.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

If there's any consolation for the Browns, it's that I think the game is going to change a lot over the next few years.  The league's QBs are getting old (I wonder if anyone has tallied an official stat on the age of starting QBs?), and I don't know that they're all necessarily going to be replaced with equal college talent.  Even if there will still be some teams with great QBs, it seems like there will be more room for a team like the Browns (or the Bills) to move up.

Age before the start of next season:

Brady - 40

Brees - 38

Palmer - 37

Eli - 36

Romo - 37 (I know he's not playing right now, but still)

Rivers - 35

Roethlisberger - 35

Rodgers - 33

Ryan - 32

Flacco - 32

Alex Smith - 33

Even if those younger guys aren't necessarily thinking about retirement, it's not out of the question that we see them decline in their mid- or late 30s.  Except Brady.  That bastard will still be throwing 40 TDs per year when I die of old age.

4 hours ago, ninersdd said:

Extra Bold Prediction: Given their utter consistency to play down to their opponents, and propensity to lay stinkers, Pittsburgh gives the Browns their first win next week.

pleasepleasepleaseplease

spacer.png

Oh, Randy Gregory.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/11/11/randy-gregory-failed-test-suspension-dallas-cowboys/93644606/

So, just another 2nd Round pick wasted. Since 2006, only Sean Lee and Demarcus Lawrence are stil on the roster with Lee the only one worth a damn.

2006:Anthony Fasano

2007:Traded to move up and draft Anthony Spencer

2008:Martellus Bennett

2009:Traded to the Bills for extra 3rd and 4th round picks

2010:Sean Lee

2011:Bruce Carter

2012:Traded to move up to draft Morris Claiborne

2013:Gavin Escobar

2014:Demarcus Lawrence (swapped their 2nd plus a 3rd in that draft to move up)

2015:Randy Gregory

2016:Jaylon Smith

The Bears offense, namely Jay Cutler, has played the worst first half perhaps in Bears history.

PUNT

INT

INT

FG

FUMBLE

FUMBLE

PUNT

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

11 minutes ago, CS85 said:

The Bears offense, namely Jay Cutler, has played the worst first half perhaps in Bears history.

PUNT

INT

INT

FG

FUMBLE

FUMBLE

PUNT

That's definitely worse, but this game against the Seahawks last year wins for consistency:

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/blogs/bears_9drives.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived