buzzcut

NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

The hit doesn't look bad to me.  I haven't seen other angles but at some point you have to give the defense some leeway when the QB is running the ball downfield and it doesn't look like a dirty or unnecessary hit.

The unsportsmanlike conduct penalty?  Yeah, that's where the NFL has lost me.

The AFC East since realignment has been the biggest joke in the NFL.

It's the worst division in NFL history and sports history.

Basically the same old story every year- Darth Brady and his soulless Patriots win the division without getting pushed.

Brady would be lucky to have 100 wins if he played in any other division

8 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

The AFC East since realignment has been the biggest joke in the NFL.

It's the worst division in NFL history and sports history.

Basically the same old story every year- Darth Brady and his soulless Patriots win the division without getting pushed.

You know that 10 out of 16 games every year are played outside the division, right?

2 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Hah. Hahahahahahahaha. Haha. Hah.

Your joke went wide right into a land of incoherence.

He's not 100% wrong though. The Patriots have had an easier road to home field in the playoffs because they've had the good fortune to play 6 games a year against the Dolphins, Bills, and Jets for the last 15 years. 

4 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Washington: 2-16 on Monday Night Football the last 20 years at FedEx Field.

Even Marvin Lewis has more MNF success at home games.

They had no excuse losing to Dallas last year on MNF. DeSean Jackson literally gifted that win to Dallas last December.

Before the game last night, my buddy asked what I thought about the Skins chances, and I looked at him and said that they struggle on Monday Nights... I didn't realize it was that much a struggle...

everyone else at the table was giving high score predictions, and I kept shaking my head. Ive seen em play long enough to know not to bet on them on MNF.

1 hour ago, Brass said:

Hah. Hahahahahahahaha. Haha. Hah.

Your joke went wide right into a land of incoherence.

Obviously @SabresRule7361 took it into classic SabresRule territory but if you look beyond the surface he's not completely off his rocker, like @McCarthy said.  The AFC East has been one of the easiest divisions in football for a while, and while Brady certainly would have well over 100 wins, the Patriots' ticket to the playoffs might not be 100% punched every year.

They'd probably still be in the playoffs in most years, but you add one or two more divisional losses every year and all of a sudden they're playing in the wild card round and they don't have home field to the Super Bowl. Their division makes it easier for them. 

New England has an easy division, aside from the occasional rise of the Jets and this year the Phins. 

But they beat good teams. Most of the time they deserve to be #1 overall. They beat Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Denver, Miami (once so far), and if you want to count Houston. That's not an easy schedule. Yet their 12-2. 

6-0 or 5-1 in the division every year does give you a boost. Homefield is important in the playoffs. Usually they lose at home in the playoffs. But if you placed them in, say, the AFC North with Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Cincinnati they still would be a perennial playoff team. 

Perhaps I should have clarified my point. I'm not saying being in a different division would not pose more of a challenge to the Patriots, but rather I was pointing out the absolute stupidity in idea that if Tom Brady was in any other division that he would "be lucky to have 100 wins." Yes, the 75 total wins he has against Buffalo, Miami, and New York drive up his stats, but whose to say that wouldn't be the case if he was in another division with other teams? Especially if he's allowed to bring Bill Belichick with him.

I'm not the stereotypical "GAWD BRADY FAHKING RULES AND IS DA BEST QB EVAH" Boston fan (and if you think I am, you've never read my sports posts) but c'mon; give credit where credit is due. Tom Brady is a good quarterback and would easily have over 100 wins if he played in another division.

I don't think moving the Patriots to another division would be that big of a deal.  Probably a few extra losses here and there.

But the post that started this all said "Brady," not "Patriots."  So what about moving Brady to another team?  That's a far more interesting question.  To what degree is he the product of a system?  For QBs (and NBA) we count rings and don't ever discuss circumstances, but sometimes I wish we did.  I don't think Brady's got four rings if most other teams had taken him.  For instance, if the Vikings had drafted him, he'd have zero.

22 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I don't think moving the Patriots to another division would be that big of a deal.  Probably a few extra losses here and there.

But the post that started this all said "Brady," not "Patriots."  So what about moving Brady to another team?  That's a far more interesting question.  To what degree is he the product of a system?  For QBs (and NBA) we count rings and don't ever discuss circumstances, but sometimes I wish we did.  I don't think Brady's got four rings if most other teams had taken him.  For instance, if the Vikings had drafted him, he'd have zero.

He came into a pretty favorable situation. My guess is that he would have 1 ring or maybe 2, at most, if playing with any other team. Belichick is really the one who makes the team wildly successful. Belichick is a much better coach than Brady is a QB, and believe it or not, that is not a knock on Brady.

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

They'd probably still be in the playoffs in most years, but you add one or two more divisional losses every year and all of a sudden they're playing in the wild card round and they don't have home field to the Super Bowl. Their division makes it easier for them. 

There is a little bit of chicken-and-egg at work in this topic.  The Patriots are obviously a good team, which is part of why the other teams in the division struggle to win on a regular basis.  On the other hand, they've won the division by 3 or more games eight times since 2003.  That is a sign that the other teams in the division are generally mediocre, at best, which makes it much easier for the Patriots to finish as a No. 1 or 2 seed in the AFC each year.

1 hour ago, jmac11281 said:

He came into a pretty favorable situation. My guess is that he would have 1 ring or maybe 2, at most, if playing with any other team. Belichick is really the one who makes the team wildly successful. Belichick is a much better coach than Brady is a QB, and believe it or not, that is not a knock on Brady.

The most damning evidence against Brady is the 2008 season.  He was injured in Game 1 and the Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel at quarterback.*  Matt Cassel isn't a horrible QB, but the Patriots barely missed a beat without Brady.  When Peyton Manning missed a year with the Colts, they became an instant laughingstock.

* -- Somehow, the Patriots missed the playoffs at 11-5.  It was a tough year in the AFC that year . . . unless you played in the AFC West, which the Chargers won at 8-8.

59 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

* -- Somehow, the Patriots missed the playoffs at 11-5.  It was a tough year in the AFC that year . . . unless you played in the AFC West, which the Chargers won at 8-8.

That, I believe, was the only time in NFL history where an 11-5 team missed the playoffs. They also had, by far, the easiest schedule in the NFL that season. They also only cracked 20 points in a game 9 times, so it was more or less their defense winning them those games.

On the whole, though, I completely agree with the assumption that Bill Belichick is a better coach than Tom Brady is a quarterback.

Elite Security and the Chargers handed out statements to Deadspin:

Elite has become aware of the social media post of inappropriate actions of an Elite staff member at Qualcomm Stadium on December 18th. Elite has employed thousands of people over the past 21 years, insists on the highest moral standards from our employees and regrets this isolated incident. Elite is currently investigating the incident and has no additional comment at this time.

We are aware of the disturbing actions of an Elite security staff member at Sunday’s game. We apologize to any fans who may have witnessed the incident. Elite Security is currently investigating the incident and has vowed to take immediate and appropriate action.

Seems like an appropriate send-off as any to the Chargers experience in San Diego. Come on LA!

18 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

Why are NFL ratings down?

15 hours ago, See Red said:

The hit doesn't look bad to me.  I haven't seen other angles but at some point you have to give the defense some leeway when the QB is running the ball downfield and it doesn't look like a dirty or unnecessary hit.

The unsportsmanlike conduct penalty?  Yeah, that's where the NFL has lost me.

The unsportsmanlike penalty is for throwing the ball at the player after the play has ended.  That's a pretty easy call.

And yeah, once the QB is outside the pocket and running around with the ball, he's essentially a RB.  With his sheer size and his reputation as a mobile QB, the only way he's going down when he's running is by the lower half of his body.  Now some hits Cam has taken this year have been dirty and/or should have been flagged, but this wasn't one of those instances.

7 hours ago, McCarthy said:

He's not 100% wrong though. The Patriots have had an easier road to home field in the playoffs because they've had the good fortune to play 6 games a year against the Dolphins, Bills, and Jets for the last 15 years.

The Patriots would say "Well, that's a 'them' problem.", and they would be 100% correct.  They went 11-5 one season without Brady, and went 3-1 this season without Brady.  They have nothing to apologize for...31 other franchises want the same thing.  Sucks to have one of the best coaches of all time and one of the best QB's of all time on the same team at the same time, but every team had five chances to take Brady in the draft....and just about every team had the opportunity to employ Belichick as their coach.