Hey everyone,

For a while I've enjoyed to think about what kind of changes I would make to uniforms across MLB, just being into design as I am. I've always wanted to make a thread of my own here after seeing so many great ones, but never thought I had the computer skills, nor did I really think hand-drawns would show up great online.

After my Twins concept though, I got to thinking and decided to at least try to flesh it out into an entire MLB-wide series. Things are probably gonna slow down quite a bit from me once school starts back up, but at least this is worth starting.

This series is just gonna be my fixes to things across each of the uniforms, I'm gonna save major redesigns for maybe a future series...

So here it goes starting off, naturally, with the Arizona Diamondbacks:

Logos

Arizona Diamondbacks Logos.png

-Brick red, Black, and Teal are now the main colors. It's a good time for Arizona to move on to a more modern scheme.

-The teal has been adjusted a bit, it's a little greener to look more like a color inspired by Native Navajo jewelry rather than Tron electric blue.

-Caps are both the A logo, just because I'm personally not a fan of the D snake.

-Both caps have the diamond snakeskin pattern on the brim to still achieve the two-tone look.

-Sand-ish colors are still present in the identity, as the home is now cream, and the away is full-on the sand color.

Uniforms

Arizona Diamondbacks Home.pngArizona Diamondbacks Away.png

Arizona Diamondbacks Alternate 1.png

Arizona Diamondbacks Alternate 2.png

-I like the way the 'D-backs' wordmark looks, besides the fact that it says 'D-backs'. I had to compromise and put the 'A' on the home.

-The diamond pattern is on the back of all jerseys, which makes sense for a team named the Diamondbacks.

-No pattern on the pants. It isn't really necessary.

-I decided to keep the cut piping, but cut it at an angle on the jerseys, like the pants. The colors are also now teal/red/teal on the jerseys because I feel that looks more Arizona and less Tron.

-As said before, the away is now sand. I didn't hate the concept of dark gray, just didn't think it fit the team, especially with teal.

-Snake patch is on all jerseys.

-Both alternates can be home and road.

-Some may not like this, but all accessory elements are interchangeable. Things like hats, belts, and socks can be worn in different combinations with different jerseys.

So, of course, let me know what you all think! All comments/criticisms welcome!

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so glad you decided to go ahead with a full series! 

This is a big improvement on the Diamondbacks current look. I really like the tan/sand diamond pattern. The road primary is probably my favorite of the group. 

Great work! I love the tan/sand for a team from Arizona...I just don't know if it works with the red/teal. I know you're making the most of what they've got...but those colors are tough to work with. 

As for the diamond pattern in the cap...what if you had it on the bill? So it'd look like a two-toned cap from far away.

51 minutes ago, cjm3114jr said:

Cool. IMO, the hat would look better without the diamond pattern.

Thanks. Yea I tend to agree, it was a cool idea, but hard to see from far away. I might take it out.

50 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I'm so glad you decided to go ahead with a full series! 

This is a big improvement on the Diamondbacks current look. I really like the tan/sand diamond pattern. The road primary is probably my favorite of the group. 

Thanks! Hopefully it turns out ok. The road might be my favorite too.

43 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I hate the diamond pattern on the cap in real life but given how beautifully its been render here I can't complain.

Wow, haha thanks! I honestly thought that was one of the worse parts of the rendering?

14 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

Great work! I love the tan/sand for a team from Arizona...I just don't know if it works with the red/teal. I know you're making the most of what they got...but those colors are tough to work with. 

As for the diamond pattern in the cap...what if you had it on the bill? So it'd look like a two-toned cap from far way.

Thank you! And yea I get what you're saying, it might be a little bit much. Personally, I like the addition of teal to the set, but I get where you're coming from.

And oh wow, I really like that idea. Have I seen what that would look like somewhere on here? I feel like I have. That would be tougher to render, but I like that a lot.

I know I bugged you about this in your Twins thread, but could you post each uniform as a separate file? When viewing this on my phone it's hard to see the little details when all the sets are put together in one image. 

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

And oh wow, I really like that idea. Have I seen what that would look like somewhere on here? I feel like I have. That would be tougher to render, but I like that a lot.

Thanks. It's not my original idea, but it makes too much sense. @davidmiller5 did, IMO, the best concept I have ever seen with the new set. I don't think they should've made the change...at least not to what they're putting out there. But if you're gonna roll with it, there's inspiration here: 

1 hour ago, Paul Lucas said:

Thanks. It's not my original idea, but it makes too much sense. @davidmiller5 did, IMO, the best concept I have ever seen with the new set. I don't think they should've made the change...at least not to what they're putting out there. But if you're gonna roll with it, there's inspiration here: 

Oh yea, I do remember that one. By the way, @davidmiller5, that is and extremely well done and well thought out concept!

And you're right, it does make too much sense with what they're doing..

Since this series is just tweaks, I'm gonna try my best to roll with what teams currently have, and just try to fix the problems I have with them. 

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

I know I bugged you about this in your Twins thread, but could you post each uniform as a separate file? When viewing this on my phone it's hard to see the little details when all the sets are put together in one image. 

It's all good, here they are (with an updated diamond brim):

Arizona Diamondbacks Home.png

Arizona Diamondbacks Away.png

Arizona Diamondbacks Alternate 1.png

Arizona Diamondbacks Alternate 2.png

Should I post them individually like this from now on? (Also as a side note, the brim isn't intended to be so two-toned like the Jaguars helmet, it would blend in much more like the actual gradient does.)

7 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Should I post them individually like this from now on? (Also as a side note, the brim isn't intended to be so two-toned like the Jaguars helmet, it would blend in much more like the actual gradient does.)

Great job with the brim. It looks much better...not like they have dandruff or lice, lol. I think you should post them individually. Again, you're working with what they've got and you've definitely improved on it. 

P.S. I'd really like to see the piping go all the way through. It looks better at an angle, but it's like "putting lipstick on a pig."

First off anything is better than what they currently have. The dark gray roadies are an abomination. 

The one positive they current have is the I teal. thought when they brought back teal it wouldn't work with the red but I now like it a lot. 

I really don't like the abbreviated leg stripe. Have this go the length of the pant.

Lastly I like "D-BACKS" on their chest on the home whites and also the red alternates. 

19 minutes ago, RickAZ said:

First off anything is better than what they currently have. The dark gray roadies are an abomination. 

The one positive they current have is the I teal. thought when they brought back teal it wouldn't work with the red but I now like it a lot. 

I really don't like the abbreviated leg stripe. Have this go the length of the pant.

Lastly I like "D-BACKS" on their chest on the home whites and also the red alternates. 

I agree. Save the last part, IMO, if their fans really want "D•BACKS" across their chest, then let them have it on the alternate. I feel like it's too informal for a primary home jersey, plus they have a history of wearing the "A" at home, and finally...and most importantly, it's asking for them to be called the "D•BAGS."

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Yep, definitely post each uniform set individually like that. It's less overwhelming and allows us to view your concepts in greater detail.

Ok. The original post has been updated.

1 hour ago, Paul Lucas said:

Great job with the brim. It looks much better...not like they have dandruff or lice, lol. I think you should post them individually. Again, you're working with what they've got and you've definitely improved on it. 

P.S. I'd really like to see the piping go all the way through. It looks better at an angle, but it's like "putting lipstick on a pig."

Thanks.

And if I do have the piping go all the way, I'd like to have something else that would help modernize Arizona and separate them from the crowd a bit more, though I'm not sure what...

31 minutes ago, RickAZ said:

Thanks. I am a fan of the teal as well.

As for 'D-backs', I must say that I am not really a fan at all. It's one of those things that, to me, just sounds silly enough to where I wouldn't want it to be part of the identity at all.

Anyone else have anything to add before I move on?

26 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Thanks.

And if I do have the piping go all the way, I'd like to have something else that would help modernize Arizona and separate them from the crowd a bit more, though I'm not sure what...

I'd say the "DIAMONDs on the BACK of the jerseys (pun intended) are pretty modern and distinguishing. And also the brim, both cool and unique. I really do hope you fix the piping.

4 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I'm really happy with how this set turned out. And I agree, the D-BACKS is just a bad idea and I'm glad you chose to exclude it.

Looking forward to the Braves (assuming you're going in alphabetical order).

I am indeed. Just waiting for hopefully a few more comments...

4 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

I'd say the "DIAMONDs on the BACK of the jerseys (pun intended) are pretty modern and distinguishing. And also the brim, both cool and unique. I really do hope you fix the piping.

Do you think flipping the stripe on the pants would help at all, to where it comes from the top? Or do you not like the cut at all

Also totally agree about getting rid of the "D" on the hat. I like the location of the city or state, versus the team name. It works for the A's and Angels, even though now that the Angels aren't Anaheim anymore I'd love to see "LA" back on the hat from their early days. At least an alternate hat with this.

The "A" for Arizona is their iconic look. The snake shaped to look like a "D" is lame. If they wanted an alternate hat, I'd prefer an interlocking "DB" over this "D". However originally I voted for the Scorpion name since I thought a scorpion on the hat would be very cool. "Scorpions" won the vote, but Jerry Colangelo over ruled it and chose "Diamondbacks".  I do like the double meaning of this name, with baseball diamond and diamondback rattle snake. 

34 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I am indeed. Just waiting for hopefully a few more comments...

Do you think flipping the stripe on the pants would help at all, to where it comes from the top? Or do you not like the cut at all

I don't like the cut at all. IMO, it doesn't add anything...it's just removing fabric for the heck of it. 

20 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

I don't like the cut at all. IMO, it doesn't add anything...it's just removing fabric for the heck of it. 

Ok. I'd agree with you that that was the case with the actual redesign, since the cut isn't at an angle on the jerseys. To me though, they could possibly represent fangs when at an angle because of the sharpness, especially if I flip the pant. Idk, haha, what do you think?

Archived