• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ask and you shall receive!

So, I feel as if there is a general consensus for most people as to what the Reds should do with their identity, and that is to basically go back to the 70's Big Red Machine uniforms. While I do think those are great looking uniforms, I wanted to put a modern spin on the Reds, a la the Blue Jays. While the Reds aren't really as far off as the Blue Jays were before their retro redesign, here is my attempt to make a modern, yet classic look for the Reds:

Logos

Cincinnati Reds Logos.png

-While I don't necessarily dislike the use of black in the Reds set (just the overuse of it), I thought to myself, since they're named the Reds, why don't I make the shadows (an element that I really like) a darker red? This allows to keep some modernity but yet feel very classic Reds.

-So, with that said, the Reds now have a double-red scheme.

-Red alternate uses the new 'Reds' script that I really like.

Uniforms

Cincinnati Reds Home.pngCincinnati Reds Away.pngCincinnati Reds Alternate.png

-Uniforms are based off of the 70's look, with some shadows to keep it modern.

-The Reds having that one big stripe on the sleeves but triple piping on the neck allowed for me to combine the two reds on the sleeve, but separate them on the neck to essentially create the same look, but a little different.

-Mr. Red is present on the sleeve of the home & alternate, with dark red of course replacing black.

-The road follows the same basic 70's template, with dark red again replacing black in the shadow.

-The Reds not having a red alt in the 70's opened the door a little bit for me to be more free with this one, so I decided to use the 'Reds' script they added a few years ago. Otherwise, it follows the same basic template, except the white switching with the two reds, and the darker red taking the place of where the white was on the home & away.

That's it for now, all comments/criticisms welcome!

This is beautiful! Not sure how I feel about the darker red choice (their current red and black is still unique to them). I kinda envision them as the National League counter to the Blue Jays, but in red. Also, I've never been a fan of the new number font. But all in all, it looks great. 

3 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

This is beautiful! Not sure how I feel about the darker red choice (their current red and black is still unique to them). I kinda envision them as the National League counter to the Blue Jays, but in red. Also, I've never been a fan of the new number font. But all in all, it looks great. 

Thank you! I understood that red & black was unique, but I felt that switching the black to a darker red was a bit more subdued, but still created the same effect.

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Congrats on making the drop shadows work! This is a nice, crisp take on the Reds. No complaints. 

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

The more I look at it, the more I like it. Tribe next, right?

That's good to hear. And yes, they are. I've got to be honest though, I actually had started working on the Rockies before you posted this? But I'll start working on Cleveland now.

Anyone else on the Reds?

32 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Thanks!

That's good to hear. And yes, they are. I've got to be honest though, I actually had started working on the Rockies before you posted this? But I'll start working on Cleveland now.

Anyone else on the Reds?

LMAO, no worries...bring on the Rox!

I never got to comment on your final tweak of the White Sox. 

While I think you still could have done a bit more with them, overall I'm satisfied with how they turned out. I think the white script is a nice nod to their late '60s look and the solid black cap compliments it better than the white front paneled one.

45 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I never got to comment on your final tweak of the White Sox. 

While I think you still could have done a bit more with them, overall I'm satisfied with how they turned out. I think the white script is a nice nod to their late '60s look and the solid black cap compliments it better than the white front paneled one.

Yea I'm pretty much with you. I do wish I could've done some more with them, as I'll admit they're probably one of the weaker of the bunch. I just never found something that could stick well, with me at least.

45 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

The double red actually looks nice on here.  The black always looked off, and removing it outright is too much contrast.

Thanks. And yea, that was pretty much my reasoning behind doing it.

Well, in the meantime, before I upload the complete Indians set here are two navy alternates, I'm curious which one you all like better? This has no bearing on the direction I take in the set as a whole, it's simply alternate vs. alternate.

Cleveland Indians Alternate 1.pngCleveland Indians Away Alternate.png

Comments on this, the Reds, and really anything else are welcome!

10 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Why not use both? The second set could be a home or road throwback. 

Well as of right now I have at least one, possibly two other alternates in mind, just didn't want to overcrowd is all.

6 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Well as of right now I have at least one, possibly two other alternates in mind, just didn't want to overcrowd is all.

In that case I like the second one, if only because it's more unique than the first. 

I like the second far more than the first, if only because navy pants and a cap with piping are a little more adventurous (at least, for post 1920's baseball). It also is one less uniform with the "Indians" name, and minimizing the name would be an excellent direction to take.

Archived