Alright then, well before I move on any further I wanted to put up the updated version of the Pirates' logos with the stripes in the caps:

Pittsburgh Pirates Logos.png

And I also decided to lighten the shade on the away jersey to be closer to gray. On my computer it originally looked fine, but on my phone it looked too full-on sand. My intention is for it to be a brown tinted shade of gray, so hopefully this achieves that better. This is something I really hope to get right, so if any of you have suggestions that would be great.

San Diego Padres Away.png

Thoughts?

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, coco1997 said:

That looks excellent! I love the idea of subtle differences in teams' road uniforms around the league, a la your blue-gray Royals road set.

14 hours ago, ahowe6464 said:

The second version of the road jersey for the Padres looks great.

Thanks!

12 hours ago, BenD said:

I think it'd look good if you added the stripe to the pants too, great job tho on the padres

10 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

I second that. 

Here's a look at it on the home. Do you think it looks too wide?

San Diego Padres Home Proposal.png

1 hour ago, ahowe6464 said:

It doesn't look too wide imo. Big improvement 

23 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

It looks great. Place them on the rest of the unis (with the new second alternate) and you've got a winner!!! Great job, brother. 

Thank you both. Here is an update with the pants stripe across the board. Barring any other suggestions, I can post the Giants whenever you all are ready!

San Diego Padres Logos.pngSan Diego Padres Home Proposal.pngSan Diego Padres Away Proposal.pngSan Diego Padres Alternate 1 Proposal.pngSan Diego Padres Alternate 2 Proposal.png

9 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

The stripes look great. I think the Padres are finally all set!

Bring on the Giants!

9 minutes ago, BenD said:

Great job on the Padres, the stripe really brings it together, can't wait for the Giants.

What they said, let's go! 

3 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

The stripes look great. I think the Padres are finally all set!

Bring on the Giants!

3 minutes ago, BenD said:

Great job on the Padres, the stripe really brings it together, can't wait for the Giants.

Thank you both! I won't make you wait very long, here are the Giants!

Logos

image.png

-This might be an unpopular opinion, but I love the Giants secondary logo they added last year, so much so that I made it the primary. I think this is so much more of a unique logo around baseball, and one that fits the Giants' identity really well.

-Classic cap stays the same.

-Home wordmark stays the same, but the away goes back to the late 90's wordmark, with the matching beveling, and an added gold dropshadow. late 90's wordmark, with the matching beveling, and an added gold dropshadow. 

Uniforms

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

-The orange jersey goes back to the 2010's wordmark, just for matching sake. The striping is also an inverse of the regular home, where the outsides are cream.

-For the black jersey, I wanted to try something new since nothing to me has stuck yet. I put the SF on the chest, black w/ an orange outline. If I should recolor it to be orange, let me know.

-The primary is now the patch on all jerseys. I'm not set on the coloring of the primary yet, here are a few possible color variations for you guys to see as well.

image.png

Let me know what you think below!

Overall, I like your Giants set. I'm just not a huge fan of the black alternate. The black "SF" gets lost in the rest of the jersey. The player names on the back are also nearly illegible, so you should probably think about making those solid orange.

As for the primary logo options, I'd go with the bottom right. The Golden Gate Bridge image should be orange as it's close to the bridge's actual color, and the gold letters are a nice contrast to the orange and black.

I like what you've done with the Giants. Standardizing the striping and correctly using the orange-bill caps are all pluses in my book. However, the road wordmark needs to change. It's kind of an unwritten rule in sports design that in a team's identity, texts should either be uniformly arched:

2297.gif 2khon1i2fejygiiju1vilfm53.gif

...or uniformly on an arc.

hiau2fj5xarftw7o8e0yidhze.gif 47oohl8sfcftpmodi0t09f141.gif

The two styles should not be mixed. While the Giants broke with this standard from 1958-76, that was not an ideal situation, and should not be repeated. I would suggest adding the gold drop shadow to this wordmark:

2297.gif

That way, uniformity wins out! I know that this means that you would have to re-do the primary logo (BTW, the lower right option is probably the best), but I'm sure you can handle it.

That outline and drop shadow-only black alt really needs some serious tweaking. I'd opt to use one-color logos, NOB's, and numbers.

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Overall, I like your Giants set. I'm just not a huge fan of the black alternate. The black "SF" gets lost in the rest of the jersey. The player names on the back are also nearly illegible, so you should probably think about making those solid orange.

As for the primary logo options, I'd go with the bottom right. The Golden Gate Bridge image should be orange as it's close to the bridge's actual color, and the gold letters are a nice contrast to the orange and black.

1 hour ago, Paul Lucas said:

How about top right with gold outline? 

Great work.

(Not a fan of black on black...just like the red on red for the Angels??)

I figured this might be the reaction to the black alternate. Nothing wrong with a little trial and error though. Here is a version with a solid orange logo and numbers and gold dropshadow, which I do like a lot better now that I'm seeing it.

San Francisco Giants Alternate 2.png

54 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I like what you've done with the Giants. Standardizing the striping and correctly using the orange-bill caps are all pluses in my book. However, the road wordmark needs to change. It's kind of an unwritten rule in sports design that in a team's identity, texts should either be uniformly arched:

2297.gif 2khon1i2fejygiiju1vilfm53.gif

...or uniformly on an arc.

hiau2fj5xarftw7o8e0yidhze.gif 47oohl8sfcftpmodi0t09f141.gif

The two styles should not be mixed. While the Giants broke with this standard from 1958-76, that was not an ideal situation, and should not be repeated. I would suggest adding the gold drop shadow to this wordmark:

2297.gif

That way, uniformity wins out! I know that this means that you would have to re-do the primary logo (BTW, the lower right option is probably the best), but I'm sure you can handle it.

That outline and drop shadow-only black alt really needs some serious tweaking. I'd opt to use one-color logos, NOB's, and numbers.

These are all really good points, most of which I didn't even think about. While I would ideally like to "arc" both of them but keep the beveling, I'll probably end up doing what you recommended and adding a gold shadow to the old home one. I'll also work on adjusting the primary, most likely closest to the lower right one with the gold lettering.

Ok so here are the home and the alternate with the updated wordmark. I'm actually starting to convince myself that I like this version better, too. Maybe this is silly reasoning, but to me this way the letters seem to stand more tall and upright, much like a giant would. The fact that they are vertical also in a way reminds me of the Golden Gate Bridge architecturally, where the letters go up and then come back down in an arch, but still stay upright.

San Francisco Giants Home.pngSan Francisco Giants Alternate 1.png

I'm still working on the best way to do the primary, and will post that in a full update once it's finished.

Archived