• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Fire away!

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Yep, let's see Washington!

P.S. Any chance we could see some bonus teams like the Expos?

1 hour ago, Paul Lucas said:

I second that!

For doing bonus teams, I think I'm gonna stick with just the regular 30 for now,  since that was what I was planning. I wouldn't be opposed to it in the future, though.

Alright then, let's have the finale!

Logos

Washington Nationals Logos.png

-The one thing that keeps me a fan of the curly W logo is its ties to the Senators. I tried to make do with it, seeing that I didn't really think I could do much with their identity from before. Primary logo stays the same.

-The main home cap is navy with a white front panel and red brim. The red hat and the navy w/ red brim are used quite often, as well.

-Home and away wordmarks are the same, however on the alternates I made some changes. The red jersey has the "Nationals" script they supposedly almost used in the most recent redesign, and the navy jersey says "Washington" in white with a red outline, like the cap.

-I may make the home the "Nationals" wordmark and the alternate the curly W depending on the reaction those get.

Uniforms

Washington Nationals Home.pngWashington Nationals Away.pngWashington Nationals Alternate 1.pngWashington Nationals Alternate 2.png

-When designing these jerseys, I almost tried to treat it like a Nike college football redesign. I felt there was a lot I could use with the stars and stripes as far as symbolism goes, and still hopefully make a good-looking set.

-Going with that, the home jersey is composed of 5 stripes on each sleeve (three red, two white), 1 stripe around the neck, and 2 stripes on the pants, one on each side. Overall these stripes add up to a nice number of 13, which is fittingly the number of stripes on the United States flag. The red socks also have 13 stripes to match, as well.

-I almost made the home cap a recoloring of the Expos pinwheel hat. If you think that would be better than the current one, let me know.

-For the away, all the red elements are recolored navy, and the space of the 5 stripes on the sleeves is filled navy. In that space, (I couldn't get it exact but) there are hypothetically 25 white stars in the space of each sleeve, adding up to 50 total, the current number of US states. The socks also hypothetically total to have 50 stars.

-The red alternate also has 13 stripes, but in this case the majority of them are white. I'm trying to find a way to work around this, and I have an idea mocked up, I just don't know if I like it better or not.

-The navy alternate is similar to the away in having 50 stars. The neck stripe has been recolored white to accommodate.

-I'm not sure how this would look, but I think it would be interesting for the Nationals to mix and match some things, so maybe sometimes they can have 50 stars on their sleeves and 13 stripes on their socks. As the set currently is, it might be hard to balance colors well, but that's something I could work on.

I'd be happy to hear what you guys all think about the last team in the series!

Great finish with the Nats! The stars and stripes sleeve trim is really clever and a much tasteful use of the Old Glory elements than this. I'm on the fence about the home uniform; not sure whether it should have the "Nationals" script or if you should keep the "W." I'd also like to see what your Expos-style pinwheeled cap would look like. 

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Great finish with the Nats! The stars and stripes sleeve trim is really clever and a much tasteful use of the Old Glory elements than this. I'm on the fence about the home uniform; not sure whether it should have the "Nationals" script or if you should keep the "W." I'd also like to see what your Expos-style pinwheeled cap would look like. 

2 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

Way to finish the series. I can't believe it's over.? I agree with @coco1997, I would've liked to see the 'Nationals' on the home uni. 

Thank you both! Here is a look at both changes on one jersey to see which elements you like better.

Washington Nationals Home Proposal.png

25 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

This may not be in keep with the overall design theory but I would consider dropping the stars and just using the three red/white stripes on every jersey. I has a neat Seattle Pilots vibe going. That's just a personal preference.

I think there are really two different directions I'd want to go with it. One would be to for the most part keep the stars and stripes more separate as away and home elements, respectively. The other would be to sort of blend the two together, which would make a more cohesive set, but I wouldn't know if I personally like it. Here's what I'm talking about:

Direction 1.pngDirection 2.png

Which one do you all like better?

3 hours ago, ahowe6464 said:

I like the second version. Brings more blue to the red/red to the blue.

3 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I also like version 2 better but I reserve the right to change my mind in 15 minutes. 

Love the Expos style red white and blue cap. I haven't seen that before on Nats concepts and its terrific. 

Alright then, here is the second set in the normal format for you all to see:

Washington Nationals Home Proposal 2.pngWashington Nationals Away Proposal.pngWashington Nationals Alternate 1 Proposal 3.pngWashington Nationals Alternate 2 Proposal.png

(I added the primary as a patch on all jerseys, something I forgot to do in the original)

So you all like this version better? I'd be happy to hear what any of you think!

22 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Great job. Congrats on completing a wonderful series! 

22 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

Excellent job, brother! Really enjoyed the series. 

20 hours ago, ahowe6464 said:

Perfect. Loving that home cap. Great job on this series

Thank you all! And thanks to anyone who followed the series, whether you commented or not, I really appreciate it! I had fun making this, and I decided I'd leave you all for now with a view of all of the logos together!

Logos.png

Thanks for putting this together! It's really satisfying to see all the logos side by side.

Having said that, I'm just now noticing something that didn't bother me before. The blank space on the upper portion of the SD roundel looks too empty. Any ideas how to fix that?

20 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Thanks for putting this together! It's really satisfying to see all the logos side by side.

Having said that, I'm just now noticing something that didn't bother me before. The blank space on the upper portion of the SD roundel looks too empty. Any ideas how to fix that?

I mentioned that in the original post, but I'm not sure. Maybe adding a 3rd yellow line like this?

Logo.png

Archived