On 8/9/2016 at 0:16 AM, coco1997 said:

I think we're ready to see the Rockies!

Alright, well why not!

To start off, I think most people can agree that the main problem for the Rockies is the lack of use of a color that is so distinguishable and unique: purple. That along with a look that is starting to get somewhat dated as well. So for this concept, considering those things along with the fact that Colorado is a relatively newer team, I did my best to hopefully modernize a look that has so much potential, and that I think is somewhat underrated. So here we go with the late-night post for the Rockies!

Logos

Colorado Rockies Logos.png

-The primary has been recolored in a way to where it is hopefully a little sharper and more modern.

-The purple has been significantly lightened to stand out more, I used the current Minnesota Vikings shade just because I really like it.

-Silver, although still in the identity, has been minimized and lightened quite a few shades.

-All of the wordmarks have been recolored in the ways that I thought looked best, with purple having an overall stronger presence.

-The mountain becomes a larger part of the overall brand, and you'll see how below...

Uniforms

Colorado Rockies Home.pngColorado Rockies Away.pngColorado Rockies Alternate 1.pngColorado Rockies Alternate 2.png

-I figured if the only slightly-younger Diamondbacks could put snakeskin on their backs, then Colorado can put mountains on their sleeves. No other form of piping stuck for me, and I thought it looked cool.

-The business of the sleeves is made up for with the rest of the uniform being somewhat reserved-no other stripes are present.

-Purple is now the main cap, and the mountain is present in the background of both.

-On the black cap, the mountain segways into a purple brim, creating what I think would be a pretty cool look, similar to something I feel like I've seen on here before, but I can't remember where...

-As with the aforementioned Diamondbacks, the purple or black accessories can be switch between sets, so the home can have black accessories, or the alternate can have purple. It allows for mix-and-match.

Other than that, for having mountains on the sleeves and caps, this is a surprisingly simple look. Let me know what you all think!

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a fan of the mountains but your reasoning is good and the execution is nice so I won't comment on something that's just my personal taste. I have two criticisms. First is that the home jersey needs to be purple pinstripes that is the Rox look and the FO seems to think it's iconic (I don't) so it'll never be changed. Second, I really don't think what you did with the word marks works at all. It looks really muddled and creates a lot of static. It might be a byproduct of the lighter purple but I would like to see you try and rework the font which IMO is the weakest aspect of the current Rox identity. Otherwise I like what you have done here but think it could use a few touch ups.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

12 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

I dig it! Maybe not the caps so much...but it's a very cool set. Definitely an improvement. 

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, kcchiefsfan said:

I'm not a fan of the mountains but your reasoning is good and the execution is nice so I won't comment on something that's just my personal taste. I have two criticisms. First is that the home jersey needs to be purple pinstripes that is the Rox look and the FO seems to think it's iconic (I don't) so it'll never be changed. Second, I really don't think what you did with the word marks works at all. It looks really muddled and creates a lot of static. It might be a byproduct of the lighter purple but I would like to see you try and rework the font which IMO is the weakest aspect of the current Rox identity. Otherwise I like what you have done here but think it could use a few touch ups.

Alright. The reason I would be hesitant to put the pinstripes on it though is, to me, it would become too busy and overcrowded. I would also say that  (although this is something that could never really be proven right or wrong) the general sense seems to me that the Rockies look is getting somewhat dated, and I feel like I change could be coming soon. Of course, I could be totally wrong, but that's just me.

As for the fonts, I'll try to maybe rework those a bit. I think part of the Rockies' original intention though was to blend the black and purple a bit, to create a more solid larger form of a letter. But as I said, I'll try to touch those up a bit and hopefully improve on them tomorrow.

I've got lots to say about your Rockies!

First off, I like the overall aesthetic. I usually dislike Rockies concepts that make heavy use of black, but the fact that you chose a much lighter shade of purple (as  @davidrpaige recently did with his Rockies concepts) makes it work. Also, I'm glad you dropped the pinstripes. I think the Rockies look much cleaner and more modern without them. They are the only one of the two other expansion teams from the '90s that originally wore pinstripes to still use them.

I think the mountains on the sleeves are a nifty idea. However, the one place they don't work is on the purple alt, because they blend in with the rest of the jersey. I'm not sure how to resolve this, unless you did something like make the mountains on the alt black or silver, but that would defeat the whole idea of "purple mountain majesty." I also think using the mountains on the cap is overkill. (Speaking of which, you said you can't remember where you'd seen that idea before. It was probably @davidmiller5's Combination of Eras Rockies.) You might consider dropping the mountain on the caps but keeping the purple bill.

Lasty, for the black alt, how about just using the "CR" logo on the chest? In fact, based on this set of concepts, you might consider using it across the board. I've always felt the "CR" logo is strong but the "COLORADO" and "ROCKIES" wordmarks are boring.

Lots of comments on the Rockies. 

I think the use of the lighter shade of Purple is great starting point. It allows you to keep using the black accents.

The new logo looks great, no changes there.

I would drop the mountain on the cap. I think its a little too much. It might work for a BP cap but for an every day design it probably distract from the wordmark. 

I like that you went outside the box for the mountains on the sleeves and the execution is good but something isn't right. Maybe it just reminds me too much of this:
ec4d094328054d7df62719d8cef2203b.jpg

I think it needs to lean more towards the early 70's Braves, that also used a sleeve design. 

Hank-Aaron-1974.jpg

Maybe make it go all the way around the cuff and/or lower the peak? Or maybe go the other way, narrow the base and extend the peak higher?

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Just a real quick question, I assume you're using the same color for the sleeves as you did for the stirrups?

That was the intention, yes. Does something look off to you?

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

I've got lots to say about your Rockies!

First off, I like the overall aesthetic. I usually dislike Rockies concepts that make heavy use of black, but the fact that you chose a much lighter shade of purple (as  @davidrpaige recently did with his Rockies concepts) makes it work. Also, I'm glad you dropped the pinstripes. I think the Rockies look much cleaner and more modern without them. They are the only one of the two other expansion teams from the '90s that originally wore pinstripes to still use them.

I think the mountains on the sleeves are a nifty idea. However, the one place they don't work is on the purple alt, because they blend in with the rest of the jersey. I'm not sure how to resolve this, unless you did something like make the mountains on the alt black or silver, but that would defeat the whole idea of "purple mountain majesty." I also think using the mountains on the cap is overkill. (Speaking of which, you said you can't remember where you'd seen that idea before. It was probably @davidmiller5's Combination of Eras Rockies.) You might consider dropping the mountain on the caps but keeping the purple bill.

Lasty, for the black alt, how about just using the "CR" logo on the chest? In fact, based on this set of concepts, you might consider using it across the board. I've always felt the "CR" logo is strong but the "COLORADO" and "ROCKIES" wordmarks are boring.

Thanks. As for using black, that was one of the things where I had to make do with what I had. So to compensate, I lightened the purple.

I get what you're saying with the purple alt, but yea I'm with you as to where I wouldn't know how to fix it. I'll try some different things today.

And sure, I'll try the CR logo and see how that looks.

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Lots of comments on the Rockies. 

I think the use of the lighter shade of Purple is great starting point. It allows you to keep using the black accents.

The new logo looks great, no changes there.

I would drop the mountain on the cap. I think its a little too much. It might work for a BP cap but for an every day design it probably distract from the wordmark. 

I like that you went outside the box for the mountains on the sleeves and the execution is good but something isn't right. Maybe it just reminds me too much of this:
ec4d094328054d7df62719d8cef2203b.jpg

I think it needs to lean more towards the early 70's Braves, that also used a sleeve design. 

Hank-Aaron-1974.jpg

Maybe make it go all the way around the cuff and/or lower the peak? Or maybe go the other way, narrow the base and extend the peak higher?

Indeed. Since a lot of people have suggested to drop the mountain on the cap, I'll try that out (Although to me things would now look a little plain... Maybe add mountains to the back of the pants..? Kidding.)

As for the sleeve mountains, I get what you're saying. I'll mess around with a few things and see if something sticks.

4 hours ago, coco1997 said:

What if you removed the mountains from the alts and just kept them on the home and road primaries?

2 hours ago, midnight.oil said:

The mountains on the caps look a little busy; the "CR" gets lost.  Maybe if you raised the peak of the mountain and used just a "C" or "R" that would be centered below the peak?

I love the mountains on the sleeves, though.  Good job!

Thanks! I kept the mountains on the sleeves, but made them smaller in this possible update:

Colorado Rockies Home Proposal.pngColorado Rockies Away Proposal.pngColorado Rockies Alternate 1 Proposal.pngColorado Rockies Alternate 2 Proposal.png

-The mountains are smaller and repeat to form a stripe pattern- much like the border.

-Mountains removed from the caps.

-This fixes the purple on purple problem on Alternate 1, as the stripes above both alternates is colored black (I might make it black on top for all of the uniforms.)  Personally, I'm not as much a fan of this, because it looks like Arizona's old stripes. I'll see what you guys think.

-The 'CR' logo replaces the wordmarks on the alternates.

Just because, here is a quick mockup of all 6 possible color combinations for the Rockies wordmark. Are there any you all like more than the original (top left)?Wordmarks.png

Any C+C is greatly appreciated, of course!

The updates look great. The mountain trim pattern on the sleeves is a nice solution to that problem you were having earlier, and the "CR" monogram on the alternates is a big improvement. I'm in agreement with @Carolingian Steamroller that the bottom left and top right wordmarks are probably the best options. 

My only other possible suggestion would be to add placket piping on the two alternates. It might not be necessary, but I'd like to see how it would look. 

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

The updates look great. The mountain trim pattern on the sleeves is a nice solution to that problem you were having earlier, and the "CR" monogram on the alternates is a big improvement. I'm in agreement with @Carolingian Steamroller that the bottom left and top right wordmarks are probably the best options. 

My only other possible suggestion would be to add placket piping on the two alternates. It might not be necessary, but I'd like to see how it would look. 

Here is a look:

Colorado Rockies Alternate 1 Proposal.pngColorado Rockies Alternate 2 Proposal.png

5 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Perfect! Just what I hoped for!

Alright, so here is most likely the last update to Colorado before I post the Tigers:

Colorado Rockies Logos Proposal.pngColorado Rockies Home Proposal.pngColorado Rockies Away Proposal.pngColorado Rockies Alternate 1 Proposal.pngColorado Rockies Alternate 2 Proposal.png

-I decided to go with the top right wordmark, which is shown in an updated primary logo & wordmarks.

-I switched up the colors on the purple hat & jersey to better match with the new coloring.

-The alternates have the headspoon piping.

Comment anything you think below!

Archived