MLB Rivalry Faceoff - Red Sox vs. White Sox

coco1997

Here is the latest in my series of MLB Rivalry Faceoff concepts. No real reason I chose these teams other than the fact that they have similar names. The two Sox teams don't really have much of a rivalry and I believe they've only met in the postseason once. Still, I've had some design ideas for these teams and I thought this series would be a perfect opportunity to get them out of my system. Let's start with the Red Sox:

Red%20Sox.jpg

Per @Discrimihater's suggestion, the Red Sox home jersey is inspired by the '80s Celtics warmup jackets. The road uni is loosely based on Boston's 1999 All-Star Game jerseys and puts the Red Sox in vests with the dangling socks logo on the chest. What do you guys think of the shamrock sleeve patches? Too much? Also, I really wanted to give the home set a red cap with white brim, but I couldn't figure out what logo to put on the front. Any suggestions?

White%20Sox.jpg

The White Sox home set incorporates elements from several early 20th century uniforms. I used the Shoeless Joe-era logo, the "crossing socks" cap design from their 1926 road set and the T-bars from the '40s jerseys. I also gave the jersey oversized buttons with pinwheels on them, an idea I took from mascot Southpaw's jersey. The road set is basically what they wore on the road for the first fifteen years of their existence, updated with their present day color scheme. The wordmark and numbers are from their notorious '76 unis. I really wanted to emphasize the WHITE in White Sox, so the home set has black stirrups over white sanis, while the road set has striped hosiery inspired by their 1917 World Series uniform socks

As always, C&C appreciated!

3 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I really like those White Sox uniforms. Any reason why no white socks on the home set?

I tried leaving the socks just plain white, but I didn't like how they looked with the all white pants. I felt the black stirrups would be a nice compromise.

Archived