Was there ever any talk...

smzimbabwe

5 minutes ago, SJAnfield said:

Uuuuuuuummmmmm... No

they've been the Rams since their inception in 1936, including their 48 year run from 1946-94 as the Los Angeles Rams

Nowadays that would not matter, except, of course, for the bold.  Because of that it was a done deal.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I really like what the Browns did by leaving the name with the city. I'm 58 and nobody alive remembers the Rams in Cleveland. Just like nobody remembers the football Cardinals in Chicago. The Colts should have left their name with Baltimore. So here is what these teams should be named.

Baltimore Ravens should be the Colts

St Louis Rams should have been the Cardinals when they moved from LA to St Louis

LA Rams should then be the Rams again when they moved back. 

The Indy Colts should have come up with something 

The Arizona Cardinals also should be something like the Firebirds, Scorpions, or Rattlers (they moved to Arizona before the Arena League Rattlers)

5 hours ago, RickAZ said:

I really like what the Browns did by leaving the name with the city. I'm 58 and nobody alive remembers the Rams in Cleveland. Just like nobody remembers the football Cardinals in Chicago. The Colts should have left their name with Baltimore. So here is what these teams should be named.

Baltimore Ravens should be the Colts

St Louis Rams should have been the Cardinals when they moved from LA to St Louis

LA Rams should then be the Rams again when they moved back. 

The Indy Colts should have come up with something 

The Arizona Cardinals also should be something like the Firebirds, Scorpions, or Rattlers (they moved to Arizona before the Arena League Rattlers)

Ugh.  No.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Browns leaving their name in Cleveland made sense - the team was named after Paul Brown and his only attachment was to the city of Cleveland.

Colts, Cardinals and Rams are names that are somewhat generic and can be used pretty much anywhere, and the owners of those teams probably had a pretty strong attachment to their team's name.

The Oilers being renamed in Tennessee was logical because 'Oilers' really only makes sense in a place like Texas or Pennsylvania.

3 hours ago, Bobster said:

The Browns leaving their name in Cleveland made sense - the team was named after Paul Brown and his only attachment was to the city of Cleveland.

Colts, Cardinals and Rams are names that are somewhat generic and can be used pretty much anywhere, and the owners of those teams probably had a pretty strong attachment to their team's name.

The Oilers being renamed in Tennessee was logical because 'Oilers' really only makes sense in a place like Texas or Pennsylvania.

The Cincinnati Bengals would like to have a word with you

52 minutes ago, dont care said:

The Cincinnati Bengals would like to have a word with you

But they already had a name!

Better to have said "Ohio" since he had coached at Ohio State before coaching in the pros.

Considering the teams are franchises of the league, moving from one city to another could be construed as a 'change in the franchise'. I.e., the St. Louis franchise simply goes dormant and the Los Angeles franchise restarts. Though the business apparatus remains the same, their rights to continue playing as part of the NFL moves to under a new franchise.

If a guy owns a McDonalds in one town and wants to close it and build a new McDonalds 40 miles away, he doesn't get to do so just because he wants to. There may already be a franchise there and have to take ownership of it. Even a franchise that may not be currently operating in that other city. Meanwhile, he leaves the old franchise with the corporation (i.e., league) who can then bestow it on someone else who wants to operate in the original city.

Well, this isn't the same as opening a McDonald's where you'll have dozens of them in a larger city.

This is a cartel, where it's all about the franchise owners and in the NFL (for instance) there are family ownerships that go back 70-80 years and each franchise has an individual brand.  And some of those franchises (Like the Bidwills) are going to want to take their company brand with them if they relocate.

I had some small concern over St. Louis fighting to keep the Rams name if they went back to LA--which is dang near equivalent for Kansas City to fight for the Athletics name upon the team's relocation to Oakland--but fortunately the NFL has more sense than that (but not enough to let the Rams at least go back to being a Blue/Yellow team and wear their throwbacks in the intern). It was mostly out of concern for the size of Roger Goodell's ego.

As for the Titans, I like their overall identity, and the fact that they still wear light blue to some extent (though I'd love to see them wear light blue with white pants full-time and use red more and navy less), but I'd prefer that Bud Adams' original plan (to keep the Oilers name in Tennessee) went through, leaving us with those awesome uniforms for a considerable time longer. Who cares if Tennessee and oil don't go together?* We have the Los Angeles Lakers, Utah Jazz, Arizona Cardinals**, and Los Angeles Dodgers (among others) whose names don't originally fit their original locale and are widely embraced by their fanbases. But it is what it is, and Tennessee fans (unfortunately) didn't like the Oilers name.

*When I was younger, I was always under the impression that there were a considerable amount of oil fields/coal deposits in Tennessee, given that the eastern part of the state is in the southern end of the Appalachians.

**Keeping in mind that the Cardinals name originally refers more to the shade of red than the bird. But even taking the Cardinals name to mean the bird, there are some northern cardinal populations (in addition to the more localized desert variety) in Arizona, though nowhere near as much as in Illinois and Missouri.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

On August 3, 2016 at 4:04 AM, rams80 said:

Ugh.  No.

so you think the Rams should have taken the Rams name to St Louis? I would guess many ex LA Rams players would differ with you on this. Also there are still Baltimore Colts players and fans who still aren't happy about Irsay taking the name away from Baltimore. 

4 minutes ago, RickAZ said:

so you think the Rams should have taken the Rams name to St Louis? I would guess many ex LA Rams players would differ with you on this. Also there are still Baltimore Colts players and fans who still aren't happy about Irsay taking the name away from Baltimore. 

Yes.  The Rams name wasn't organic to Los Angeles (or Cleveland).  The team was named as a tribute to Fordham.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived