2016 Olympics

AnPheitseog

4 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Have a question regarding Men's Olympic soccer. Can't help but notice many people refer to the participants in the men's Olympic tournament as U-23 squads. Just so I have a better understanding, what would the baseball equivalent to U-23 be? (Triple A, Double A, etc.)

And how is Neymar Jr on Brazil's U-23 team? I clearly remember him playing the last World Cup. Do National Soccer teams move players up and down levels the same way baseball clubs do?

I'm not the biggest soccer fan. My knowledge of the current soccer landscape is pretty much DC United, the rest of MLS, Team USA, Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney & Neymar.

Well, you're allowed to carry 2 or 3 players that are older than 23 on Olympic rosters.  But, none of these older players can participate in the qualifying process.

FIFA didn't want the Olympics to become an equal tournament to the World Cup, so that's why they placed the age restrictions.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

US is up 40. Why can't Draymond and Barnes get any minutes? That's just mean.

EDIT:

CqaLtjtWIAE19od.jpg:large

EDIT AGAIN: Draymond's in. Where's Harrison Barnes? Why did they even add him to the team?

TRIPLE EDIT: I bet it's because Barnes is with Adidas.

CASE CLOSED: Barnes gets some gold medal minutes with 5 to go.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

7 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Have a question regarding Men's Olympic soccer. Can't help but notice many people refer to the participants in the men's Olympic tournament as U-23 squads. Just so I have a better understanding, what would the baseball equivalent to U-23 be? (Triple A, Double A, etc.)

And how is Neymar Jr on Brazil's U-23 team? I clearly remember him playing the last World Cup. Do National Soccer teams move players up and down levels the same way baseball clubs do?

I'm not the biggest soccer fan. My knowledge of the current soccer landscape is pretty much DC United, the rest of MLS, Team USA, Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney & Neymar.

College is the best. Basically, in addition to what has been said, this is the closest thing to the old amateur competition, rather than the fill professional team. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Jerry Colangelo is kind of a dick.

one of the officials said to me, ‘You know next time you play, you ought to play with four.’ And I said, ‘No, maybe the other teams better get their act together and compete.’

:censored: you Lithuania and Serbia and your "small populations" and "lack of money". You guys just need to try harder.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

11 minutes ago, Nyk33 said:

Jerry Colangelo is kind of a dick.

:censored: you Lithuania and Serbia and your "small populations" and "lack of money". You guys just need to try harder.

He has a point. When Serbia played them straight up the first time the US  took them for granted and almost lost. They were far less careless the second time around ans this game wasn't even close. I guess they found the right club this time. Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

At one point I think Serbia was 3 of 17 from 3. If even 5 more go in, the game is far more competitive.

Australia, France and even Serbia showed you can get close against the US. Plus the different countries all had rosters stacked with NBA players. Not as many as the US, but far more than in 1992. The NBA's global growth means a US medal as a given won't always be the case.

However, that Durant decided to show up in the last two games does change the calculus a bit.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

The NBA's global growth means a US medal as a given won't always be the case.

As long as the United States has a larger pool of great talent than a lot of countries put together I think the US will always be a favorite for a medal.

Sure there is going to be great talent coming from the rest of the world but what are the chances that one country is going to have enough great talent at the same time to compete with the US.

It happened 12 years ago in Athens, so pretty good chance. 

We didn't send our best, didn't have a great collective team effort, and we didn't win gold. It's been 12 years and the World has gotten even better and will continue to do so as the NBA's reach continues to grow. We'll be the best basketball playing nation nation for the foreseeable future, but it won't be the cakewalk it was in 92 or 96 or 00. They didn't lose in these Olympics, but it's clear that if they don't show up with a full effort, if some of our best keep choosing not to play, and if the management keeps making questionable personnel roster decisions well then there's a handful of country's who play good team basketball could beat them if they have a good shooting night. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

management keeps making questionable personnel roster decisions

Gregg Popovich is now the coach of the national team and I have a feeling he will better at team selection and motivating players to play for the national team.

the World has gotten even better and will continue to do so as the NBA's reach continues to grow.

I have a feeling that this US team wouldn't have won the gold in 2008 & 2012.

it's clear that if they don't show up with a full effort

I'm not sure the early struggles were 100% because of a lack of effort. One of the main reasons why the knockout stage was easier for the US than the group stage was because Coach K placed DeAndre Jordan in the lineup in place of Cousins and had Klay Thompson/Paul George guard the Serbian PG (Milos Teodosic) who was instrumental for Serbia in the first game instead of Kyrie Irving.

Archived