2016 Olympics

AnPheitseog

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

Always love week 1- swimming is awesome & is one of the perfect tv sports.

They got really smart and did a better job of knowing what gets viewers.

Week 1 became for Swimming and Week 2 became set for Track & Field. Placing Women's Gymnastics over the 2 weeks was another switch.

I love the Olympics. Can’t wait until the second week for track & field, but also love a lot of the other stuff. Handball may be my favorite.

Also, this tape delay thing… defies complete logic. Still haven’t “lit the torch” and it’s well after midnight in EDT. So stupid.

I mean, the United States entered during the Parade of Nations around 8:35 and the torch was lit at 10:45. What more could you ask for, NBC? Your two big moments were live in primetime, yet you decided to unnecessarily tape delay the ceremony so the torch gets lit at 12:30 in the morning. Well done, morons.

6fQjS3M.png

1 minute ago, LMU said:

I'm willing to bet that the tape delay was to squeeze in as many commercial breaks as possible.  The number of them is absurd.

That's exactly what it was for. NBC executives are on record as saying that they have every right to monetize the opening ceremony, but they at least felt that if they tried to insert ad breaks into a live broadcast, they'd have to cut out parts of the opening ceremony and then they'd have to decide which parts to cut, and then someone would end up pissed off that they missed part of it. If you're an immigrant who still has a place in your heart for your native country, I'd imagine that you'd be pissed if NBC cut your country out of the broadcast. If they tape delay it, then they can cut away, air some ads and then pick up exactly where they left off.

The obvious solution is to air it live and not air any commercials, but NBC's executives are on record as saying they deserve to be money-grubbing bastards, so we get the next best solution.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Just now, CRichardson said:

That's exactly what it was for. NBC executives are on record as saying that they have every right to monetize the opening ceremony, but they at least felt that if they tried to insert ad breaks into a live broadcast, they'd have to cut out parts of the opening ceremony and then they'd have to decide which parts to cut, and then someone would end up pissed off that they missed part of it. If you're an immigrant who still has a place in your heart for your native country, I'd imagine that you'd be pissed if NBC cut your country out of the broadcast. If they tape delay it, then they can cut away, air some ads and then pick up exactly where they left off.

The obvious solution is to air it live and not air any commercials, but NBC's executives are on record as saying they deserve to be money-grubbing bastards, so we get the next best solution.

Compromise: do it like soccer and sell ad space on the upper right of the screen.

VmWIn6B.png

7 minutes ago, LMU said:

I'm willing to bet that the tape delay was to squeeze in as many commercial breaks as possible.  The number of them is absurd.

See, this is when I wish PBS was a real thing on par with the CBC and BBC.

I didn’t pay much attention to the NBC broadcast, but did they really show every country entering the Maracanã? It felt like they were still skipping over countries when they went to commercial.

6fQjS3M.png

Just now, LMU said:

Compromise: do it like soccer and sell ad space on the upper right of the screen.

And have the NBC executives end up just like these celebrities? Unacceptable!

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Thin really is the first NBC/Comcast Olympics.  In 2012, they just bought NBC from GE, thus the production of London 2012 was already decided.

So for Rio, Comcast has gotten to really be themselves and program how they want. This isn't a sporting event, it's just a TV show.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/05/sports/olympics/nbc-comcast-rio-games-future-of-television.html?referer=

To understand how significant a change this is, Mr. Roberts pointed to the last time the Summer Olympics were truly taking place live in prime time: the Atlanta Games in 1996.

“Twenty years ago, there was something like 170 hours of live content on one channel,” Mr. Roberts said. “Now we’ll have 6,800 hours on 11 channels, and up to 41 live streams. So that’s effectively 52 channels with 6,800 hours versus one channel with 170 hours.”

Streaming the Opening Ceremony was a nonstarter for NBC.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/06/sports/olympics/nbcs-rio-plans-a-focus-on-prime-time-and-a-flood-of-streaming.html?referer=

I feel like I've seen this opening ceremony before maybe on South Park as a school play.  I did like that they didn't skip any countries in the parade of nations unlike in 2012 but hey Mr. IOC chairman guy the only one who wants to hear you speak is well...you.  STFU and light the torch already so I can go to bed.

3 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

Also, this tape delay thing… defies complete logic. Still haven’t “lit the torch” and it’s well after midnight in EDT. So stupid.

They still could've started the broadcast at the same time the ceremony started in Brazil. And just kept pausing the broadcast every time they cut to commercials. It would've ended up delayed only by the amount of commercials, rather than the one hour delay PLUS commercials.

Boris Diaw looks old and fat (because he kinda is). Patty Mills (and the Australian uniforms) look awesome.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived