2016 Olympics

AnPheitseog

22 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Almost none of the world's best basketball players would choose a gold medal over an NBA championship

I don't know if I wholly agree with that.

For American basketball players they would definitely pick winning an NBA title but I think the international players might think differently. 

It would be interesting to see how the NBA players on the 2004 Argentina team feel.

19 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Where do we post about basketball? Latest I've seen is US is likely to play Argentina in the quarterfinals.

I hope this booger eater shows up; Durant's been super lazy during the Olympics and it'd be nice to see him give a damn.

Here is the full bracket.

Croatia-Serbia & France-Spain (those two teams really don't like each other) are the real enticing matchups for me.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, waltere said:

No. It was first put in place for Barcelona in '92.

How did people square Olympics vs. World Cup before then? Was the Olympic soccer tournament a big deal? Or dramatically second class to the World Cup?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 minute ago, DG_Now said:

How did people square Olympics vs. World Cup before then? Was the Olympic soccer tournament a big deal? Or dramatically second class to the World Cup?

Remember, the Olympics once had that whole "Amateurism" thing going for them before 1992 and the Dream Team.

4 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_Summer_Olympics

Eastern bloc dominated, like hockey; pros were state sponsored & considered amateur at once.  

Looks like '84 LA they only banned pros from Europe & South America to add parity.  

Personally, I think the way it is now is a sweet spot.  Messi's 08 gold is a nice accomplishment, yet FIFA shouldn't worry that might one day erode the WC.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Thanks for the info. I think it's a good setup now. Good job everyone.

That McDonald's Time After Time commercial weirds me out each time I see it. It starts out looking like a playful childhood romance, but then you can tell they're setting up the generational father/daughter deal and it's still creepy when revealed at the end.

There's many more ways to show a father passing down the same experiences to his daughter without it looking like a 30-year setup for a date.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

12 hours ago, 2001mark said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_Summer_Olympics

Eastern bloc dominated, like hockey; pros were state sponsored & considered amateur at once.  

Looks like '84 LA they only banned pros from Europe & South America to add parity.  

Personally, I think the way it is now is a sweet spot.  Messi's 08 gold is a nice accomplishment, yet FIFA shouldn't worry that might one day erode the WC.

Prior to 1984, it was a typical Avery Brundage-era "best of the Eastern Bloc versus a bunch of amateurs from the West" competition. The IOC allowed communist countries to state-sponsor their top athletes, who could technically retain their amateur status since they didn't play for professional teams in the Western sense.

It was a complete load of crap, of course - Soviet athletes were paid handsomely by the state (relative to average people in communist countries) under the guise of a no-show job. Meanwhile, Western countries had to cobble together teams of amateurs who had never been paid a dime, whether it be through professional contracts, sponsorships, prize winnings, etc. It's why up until 1984 or so, the dice were loaded in favor of communist countries in virtually every Olympic sport. It just happened to be more obvious in soccer, since Olympic results could easily be compared to World Cup results.

The US didn't look good in the U23 qualifying, that's for sure. Their strength is in veterans.

Even if Olympic soccer doesn't matter, it'll probably feel really cathartic for Brazil if they can win the gold medal, especially if it's over Germany. 7-0 will sting forever, but some small measure of revenge would be nice.

The USA has their best game of the tournament beating Argentina 105-78 in what is probably the last international game for Argentina's Golden Generation.

Props to the Argentinian fans for giving their team a proper send off in the 4th even though they were down by 20+.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Archived