NBA Alternate Universe

PrimalCookie

Let me start by saying I have got this idea from both the NFL and NHL alternate universe threads. 

In 1976, the National and American Basketball Association reached a merger agreement, with four ABA teams (San Antonio Spurs, Indiana Pacers, Denver Nuggets, and New York Nets) joining the NBA. However, both the Kentucky Colonels and St Louis Spirits were both told that they would receive a spot in the NBA - but they didn't. What if the NBA did honor their agreement with Kentucky and St Louis, and they added 6 new teams into the league? I will not be doing a yearly standings, but will state the champions. I present to you an alternate universe. (My phone is almost dead, so I won't post any designs now)

ExJworW.png

I had the same idea! Except that St. Louis would be entering the league as the Utah Rockies and would be joined by Kentucky and the Virginia Squires. I'd like to see some designs too. And although you said you weren't doing standings, I really wonder what the NBA divisions would look like. Maybe add St. Louis to the Midwest and Kentucky to the Central, bump Denver to the Pacific and the Bullets in the Atlantic Division. Not trying to be pushy, but it's my recommendation.

591ec53b9bf0a_ABLChamps.png.988aea6f30fd9cb827c4ad87f8b6d031.png

23 hours ago, PackMan said:

I had the same idea! Except that St. Louis would be entering the league as the Utah Rockies and would be joined by Kentucky and the Virginia Squires. I'd like to see some designs too. And although you said you weren't doing standings, I really wonder what the NBA divisions would look like. Maybe add St. Louis to the Midwest and Kentucky to the Central, bump Denver to the Pacific and the Bullets in the Atlantic Division. Not trying to be pushy, but it's my recommendation.

I'll be doing standings, but not record standings (just listing the teams, and how they ranked). I'll definitely do divisions later, and I'm working on the STL uniforms (Kentucky/Miami later). However, here is what will happen relocation/expansion wise with these new teams.

1976: The San Antonio Spurs, Indiana Pacers, Denver Nuggets, New York Nets, St Louis Spirits, and Kentucky Colonels join the league as part of the ABA-NBA merger.

1978: The New York Nets relocate to East Rutherford, NJ and are now named the New Jersey Nets, and the San Diego Clippers relocate to Toronto and are known as the Toronto Raptors.

1980: The Dallas Mavericks join the league.

1981: As many predicted, Kentucky just could not support a NBA franchise, so they move to Miami and are now known as the Miami Flames.

1985: The Kansas City Kings relocate to Sacramento and are now known as the Sacramento Kings.

1989: The Charlotte Hornets, Minnesota Timberwolves, and Orlando Magic join the league.

1995: The Vancouver Grizzlies, Utah Rockies, and the second San Diego Clippers join the league.

2001: The Vancouver Grizzlies relocate to Memphis and are now known as the Memphis Grizzlies.

2003: The Charlotte Hornets, unable to relocate to New Orleans (due to the Jazz never moving to Utah), bring basketball back to Vancouver after a two-year wait, going as the Vancouver Hornets (in 2013, they rebrand as the Canadians, allowing the Bobcats to retake the Hornets name)

2005: The New Orleans Jazz temporarily relocate to Oklahoma City due to damage caused by Hurricane Katrina. The Charlotte Bobcats also join the league (when Vancouver rebrands, Charlotte will get their name back, as I just mentioned)

2007: The New Orleans/Oklahoma City Jazz go back to New Orleans, as the damage has been repaired.

2008: As much as I don't want to do this, it's inevitable. The Seattle SuperSonics relocate to Oklahoma City and are now known as the Oklahoma City Thunder.

2012: The New Jersey Nets move to Brooklyn and are now called the Brooklyn Nets.

2017: Hey, my league, my rules. The Seattle SuperSonics, after a

9-year absence, are given an expansion franchise by the NBA. All Sonics history from the original team is given back, with OKC being considered a 2008 expansion team (similar to the Hornets/Pelicans or Browns/Ravens situation). The Kansas City Railers also join the league, creating an instant intra-state rivalry between the Spirits and now Railers that everyone wished would happen again since 1985, when KC relocated.

ExJworW.png

14 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I'll be doing standings, but not record standings (just listing the teams, and how they ranked). I'll definitely do divisions later, and I'm working on the STL uniforms (Kentucky/Miami later). However, here is what will happen relocation/expansion wise with these new teams.

1976: The San Antonio Spurs, Indiana Pacers, Denver Nuggets, New York Nets, St Louis Spirits, and Kentucky Colonels join the league as part of the ABA-NBA merger.

1978: The New York Nets relocate to East Rutherford, NJ and are now named the New Jersey Nets, and the San Diego Clippers relocate to Toronto and are known as the Toronto Raptors.

1980: The Dallas Mavericks join the league.

1981: As many predicted, Kentucky just could not support a NBA franchise, so they move to Miami and are now known as the Miami Flames.

1985: The Kansas City Kings relocate to Sacramento and are now known as the Sacramento Kings.

1989: The Charlotte Hornets, Minnesota Timberwolves, and Orlando Magic join the league.

1995: The Vancouver Grizzlies, Utah Rockies, and the second San Diego Clippers join the league.

2001: The Vancouver Grizzlies relocate to Memphis and are now known as the Memphis Grizzlies.

2003: The Charlotte Hornets, unable to relocate to New Orleans (due to the Jazz never moving to Utah), bring basketball back to Vancouver after a two-year wait, going as the Vancouver Hornets (in 2013, they rebrand as the Canadians, allowing the Bobcats to retake the Hornets name)

2005: The New Orleans Jazz temporarily relocate to Oklahoma City due to damage caused by Hurricane Katrina. The Charlotte Bobcats also join the league (when Vancouver rebrands, Charlotte will get their name back, as I just mentioned)

2007: The New Orleans/Oklahoma City Jazz go back to New Orleans, as the damage has been repaired.

2008: As much as I don't want to do this, it's inevitable. The Seattle SuperSonics relocate to Oklahoma City and are now known as the Oklahoma City Thunder.

2012: The New Jersey Nets move to Brooklyn and are now called the Brooklyn Nets.

2017: Hey, my league, my rules. The Seattle SuperSonics, after a

9-year absence, are given an expansion franchise by the NBA. All Sonics history from the original team is given back, with OKC being considered a 2008 expansion team (similar to the Hornets/Pelicans or Browns/Ravens situation). The Kansas City Railers also join the league, creating an instant intra-state rivalry between the Spirits and now Railers that everyone wished would happen again since 1985, when KC relocated.

Ok, so the Clippers are the Raptors (they're actually close to their original Buffalo home when they were the Braves), Kentucky to Miami, Charlotte to Vancouver, but no Utah Jazz? Remember, the Jazz moved out of NOLA because they couldn't find a suitable arena and they were struggling money-wise. That's why they moved to Utah. I'm not saying you're idea is bad, I'm just suggesting that maybe the Jazz could move to Utah. After all, there is no team playing there before they move. But other than that, you have a good idea going here.

1976 STANDINGS (also 76-79 divisions)

Bold means made playoffs

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic Division

1. Philadelphia 76ers

2. Boston Celtics

3. New York Knicks

4. Atlanta Hawks

5. Buffalo Braves

6. New York Nets

Central Division

1. Houston Rockets

2. Washington Bullets

3. San Antonio Spurs

4. Cleveland Cavaliers

5. Kentucky Colonels

6. New Orleans Jazz

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Midwest Division

1. Detroit Pistons

2. Chicago Bulls

3. Kansas City Kings

4. Indiana Pacers

5. Milwaukee Bucks

6. St Louis Spirits

Pacific Division

1. Los Angeles Lakers

2. Denver Nuggets

3. Portland Trail Blazers

4. Golden State Warriors

5. Seattle SuperSonics

6. Phoenix Suns

The playoffs play out the same (because St Louis and Kentucky both miss the playoffs), with the Portland Trail Blazers winning the title!

ExJworW.png

1 hour ago, Magic Dynasty said:

1976 STANDINGS (also 76-79 divisions)

Bold means made playoffs

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic Division

1. Philadelphia 76ers

2. Washington Bullets

3. Boston Celtics

3. New York Knicks

4. Atlanta Hawks

5. New York Nets

Central Division

1. Houston Rockets

2. San Antonio Spurs

3. Cleveland Cavaliers

4. Kentucky Colonels

5. New Orleans Jazz

6. St Louis Spirits

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Midwest Division

1. Denver Nuggets

2. Detroit Pistons

3. Chicago Bulls

4. Kansas City Kings

5. Indiana Pacers

6. Milwaukee Bucks

Pacific Division

1. Los Angeles Lakers

2. Portland Trail Blazers

3. Golden State Warriors

4. Seattle SuperSonics

5. Phoenix Suns

6. San Diego Clippers

The playoffs play out the same (because St Louis and Kentucky both miss the playoffs), with the Portland Trail Blazers winning the title!

EDIT: I didn't move the Jazz because, even though they had money issues, I had always planned for Utah to get an expansion team

Okay, now it's making sense here, your league, your rules, but I noticed something. The San Diego Clippers didn't begin play in the NBA until 1978. Before that, they were known as the Buffalo Braves and played in the Atlantic Division. In case you're wondering, here's the wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Braves and I really don't want to be a correcting idiot (which I'm not), but this information is true. If this is like the Jazz situation, that's ok. I could live with that.

Sorry, it's just that I would have to rethink a whole bunch of history, redraw a bunch of uniforms - but I'll fix it. The NO Jazz will move to Utah in 1979. Also, when did San Diego move to LA, because I'll still move them to Toronto, for an early coming of the Raptors (I just don't like the idea of 2 teams in LA, especially when the Clippers don't even compare to the Lakers in popularity). However, the Utah expansion I was planning will now go to New Orleans, as the New Orleans Pelicans. Charlotte will still go to Vancouver, in this world.

ExJworW.png

9 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Sorry, it's just that I would have to rethink a whole bunch of history, redraw a bunch of uniforms - but I'll fix it. The NO Jazz will move to Utah in 1979. Also, when did San Diego move to LA, because I'll still move them to Toronto, for an early coming of the Raptors (I just don't like the idea of 2 teams in LA, especially when the Clippers don't even compare to the Lakers in popularity). However, the Utah expansion I was planning will now go to New Orleans, as the New Orleans Pelicans. Charlotte will still go to Vancouver, in this world.

1984 was the year the Clippers moved to LA, and even though I kinda liked the idea of the Jazz staying in New Orleans, I'll let the Jazz move. I'm also wondering why you haven't mentioned anything about the Buffalo Braves yet, because it's kind of like you're implying that they don't exsist.

21 hours ago, PackMan said:

1984 was the year the Clippers moved to LA, and even though I kinda liked the idea of the Jazz staying in New Orleans, I'll let the Jazz move. I'm also wondering why you haven't mentioned anything about the Buffalo Braves yet, because it's kind of like you're implying that they don't exsist.

I edited the original post, allowing the Braves to stay until they moved to San Diego (in 1978)

ExJworW.png

46 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I edited the original post, allowing the Braves to stay until they moved to San Diego (in 1978)

I knew that, I wrote that before I noticed the edit.

1976-81 Kentucky Colonels

I didn't draw this one up, mostly because it's the same as this 1974 unused concept, but with the side panels on the away jersey flipped (white/red), and "Kentucky" also on the away jersey. 

.colonels.jpg

1977 STANDINGS (under spoiler due to size)

Spoiler

1977 STANDINGS

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic Division

1. Philadelphia 76ers

2. New York Knicks

3. Atlanta Hawks

4. Boston Celtics

5. Buffalo Braves

6. New Jersey Nets (formerly New York Nets)

Central Division

1. San Antonio Spurs

2. Washington Bullets

3. Cleveland Cavaliers

4. Kentucky Colonels

5. New Orleans Jazz

6. Houston Rockets

WESTERN CONFERE

Midwest Division

1. Milwaukee Bucks

2. Chicago Bulls

3. St Louis Spirits

4. Detroit Pistons

5. Indiana Pacers

6. Kansas City Kings

Pacific Divison

1. Portland Trail Blazers

2. Phoenix Suns

3. Denver Nuggets

4. Seattle SuperSonics

5. Los Angeles Lakers

6. Golden State Warriors

EASTERN CONF. PLAYOFFS

Round 1

5) NYK def. 4) CLE 2-0

3) WAS def. 6) ATL 2-0

Round 2

1) PHI def. 5) NYK 4-0

3) WAS def. 2) SAS 4-2

Round 3

3) WAS def. 1) PHI 4-2

WESTERN CONF. PLAYOFFS

1st round

4) SEA def. 5) LAL 2-1

6) MIL def. 3) PHX 2-0

2nd round

4) SEA def. 1) POR 2-4

2) DEN def. 6) MIL 4-3

3rd round

4) SEA def. 2) DEN 4-2

NBA FINALS

E3) WAS def. W4) SEA 4-3

The playoffs go the same for the 2nd straight year (most of these early years, unless Kentucky or St Louis makes the playoffs, the playoffs will go the same)

ExJworW.png

1978-79 STANDINGS 

*Buffalo Braves relocated to San Diego in 1978 and are now in the Pacific Division:  Denver to Midwest, Detroit to Central, Washington to Atlantic

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic Division

1. Washington Bullets

2. Philadelphia 76ers

3. Atlanta Hawks

4. New Jersey Nets

5. New York Knicks

6. Boston Celtics

Central Division

1. San Antonio Spurs

2. Houston Rockets

3. Atlanta Hawks

4. Kentucky Colonels

5. Cleveland Cavaliers

6. Detroit Pistons

7. New Orleans Jazz

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Midwest Division

1. Kansas City Kings

2. Denver Nuggets

3. St Louis Spirits (lost tiebreaker vs POR)

4. Indiana Pacers

5. Milwaukee Bucks

6. Chicago Bulls

Pacific Divison

1. Seattle SuperSonics

2. Phoenix Suns

3. Los Angeles Lakers

4. Portland Trail Blazers (won tiebreaker vs STL)

5. San Diego Clippers

6. Golden State Warriors

EASTERN CONF. PLAYOFFS

Round 1

5) ATL def. 4) HOU 2-0

3) PHI def. 6) KEN 2-1 (The change of New Jersey for Kentucky gives the 76ers an L, but not the 2 Ls needed)

Round 2

1) WAS def. 5) ATL 4-3

2) SAS def. 3) PHI 4-3

Round 3

1) WAS def. 2) SAS 4-3

WESTERN CONF. PLAYOFFS

Round 1

5) LAL def. 4) DEN 2-1

3) PHX def. 6) POR 2-1

Round 2

1) SEA def. 5) LAL 4-1

3) PHX def. 2) KCK 4-1

Round 3

1) SEA def. 3) PHX 4-3

NBA FINALS

W1) SEA def. E1) WAS 4-1

The playoffs again turn out the same - although Kentucky put up a fight against Philly, the playoffs were the same after that, and the Seattle SuperSonics win the NBA title! (Later on, as the differences start to show up, I will be posting the draft, and there will be differences in where many star players play during their careers. Also, I completely forgot about free agency, so after this season I will post a offseason summary)

ExJworW.png

1979-80 NBA DRAFT (Notable Selections)
1. Los Angeles Lakers (from New Orleans/Utah Jazz) - Magic Johnson (Original Pick: LAL, Magic Johnson)

Magic Johnson will be the face of the Lakers for years to come, and the centerpiece of the "Showtime" Lakers of the 1980s. He was selected to the Hall of Fame, and in 1996 was chosen on the 50 Greatest Players of All Time list.

5. Milwaukee Bucks - Sidney Moncrief (Original Pick: MIL, Sidney Moncrief)

Sidney Moncrief won two DPY awards and was selected to five consecutive All-NBA teams, five consecutive All-Defensive teams, and five consecutive All-Star Games.

12. St Louis Spirits - Jim Paxson (Original Pick: POR, Jim Paxson)

St Louis misses the playoffs by a tiebreaker to Portland, and the consolation prize is a two-time ASG selection and someone who made one All-NBA team in his career.

ExJworW.png

On August 15, 2016 at 5:57 PM, New York's Greatest said:

Hopefully the Nets can win a championship in this universe

They'll definitely have a chance in the early 2000s, but I will say that they will still be screwed in my universe in the 2010s as well, as they will still trade their entire organization for two washed-out stars that didn't get them past the 2nd round. Man, I'm starting to feel bad, and based on the Magic's situation for the past few years, it's pretty hard to make me feel bad for any franchise...

On August 15, 2016 at 3:06 PM, PackMan said:

Go Pistons!

Good pick. Hope Harris does good things for you guys. (IRL not in the series)

On August 14, 2016 at 0:43 AM, Meshmaster101 said:

KINGS LETS DO IT!

Just going to say it now... the NBA will decide to play the 2002 WCF fairly (because I'm the commish in this world, and I want to see who was actually the best), and the Kings will come out of Game 6 with a fairly called game. If they still win or not, that is the question...

Anyway, 79-80 is coming up soon, hold tight!

ExJworW.png

1979-80 STANDINGS 

*New Orleans Jazz relocated to Salt Lake City in 1980. Jazz to Midwest Division, Pacers to Central (the NBA divisions were really messed up at this time, 4 divisions just didn't work)

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic Division

1) Boston Celtics

2) Philadelphia 76ers

3) Atlanta Hawks

4) Washington Bullets

5) New York Knicks

6) New Jersey Nets

Central Division

1) Houston Rockets (won tiebreaker vs SAS)

2) San Antonio Spurs (lost tiebreaker vs HOU)

3) Kentucky Colonels

4) Cleveland Cavaliers

5) Indiana Pacers

6) Detroit Pistons

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Midwest Division

1) Milwaukee Bucks

2) St Louis Spirits

3) Kansas City Kings

4) Chicago Bulls

5) Denver Nuggets

6) Utah Jazz

Pacific Division 

1) Los Angeles Lakers

2) Seattle SuperSonics

3) Phoenix Suns

4) Portland Trail Blazers (originally made the playoffs, but the Spirits knocked them out)

5) San Diego Clippers

6) Golden State Warriors

EASTERN CONF. PLAYOFFS

*Kentucky finishes with the 6 seed, barely making it into the playoffs.

Round 1

4) HOU def. 5) SAS 2-1

3) PHI def. 6) KEN 2-0

Round 2

1) BOS def. 4) HOU 4-0

3) PHI def. 2) ATL 4-1

Round 3

3) PHI def. 1) BOS 4-2

WESTERN CONF. PLAYOFFS

*St Louis finishes with the 4 seed, pushing Phoenix to 5 and Kansas City to 6.

Round 1

4) STL def. 5) PHX 2-1

3) SEA def. 6) KCK 2-0

Round 2

1) LAL def. 4) STL 4-2

3) SEA def. 2) MIL 4-3

Round 3

1) LAL def. 3) SEA 4-1

NBA FINALS

W1) LAL def. E3) PHI 4-2

The Los Angeles Lakers are your 1979-80 NBA champions!

ExJworW.png

Archived