MLS Redesign (10/26, SJ Quakes retros added)

kerlonmoura

I haven't seen this series before, and you've got some cool stuff!

That pattern on the LAFC away is great!

I don't think it works quite as well on the home; it just ends up looking like a weird contour map.

Love the Minnesota north star jersey, the SJ away shorts, the Toronto Blizzard fauxback, and the Houston space shuttle away!

I think white shorts would work better with Portland's subtler plaid.

Philadelphia's set is really weird. I'm not sure about it, but it's definitely unique!

I like the seafoam color of the Seattle away.

Vancouver's away is really nice! Maybe try continuing the pattern downward with sublimated lines?

I'd be curious to see Miami!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the opening day for the MLS, here are the jerseys for FC Cincinnati. On the home jersey, I based it off the jersey worn on their impressive 2017 US Open Cup campaign; and on the away jersey, I mimicked their logo using the sash. I hope you like them!

8xu8Jz9.png

MNpt8PC.png

These Cincy jerseys look pretty good, though the away looks a bit too LA Galaxy for my time. Having blue shorts and some more diagonal stripes would help!

On 2/3/2019 at 11:49 AM, vtgco said:

I don't think it works quite as well on the home; it just ends up looking like a weird contour map.

Love the Minnesota north star jersey, the SJ away shorts, the Toronto Blizzard fauxback, and the Houston space shuttle away!

Philadelphia's set is really weird. I'm not sure about it, but it's definitely unique!

Vancouver's away is really nice! Maybe try continuing the pattern downward with sublimated lines?

Thanks for all the nice comments! At first I wasn't going to use the pattern at all on the home jersey, but decided to apply it regardless to mimic the 1992 Adidas template. Maybe a subtler application of the pattern could've been better. For Portland, I wanted a darker jersey to contrast the home jersey that already has white shorts, but I think it could be a good idea to balance the kit out. I will post the jerseys applying your constructive feedback after some time.

11 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd love to see the back of FCC's home kit. Is the back solid or would you keep that slash across the back?

Ideally, it would look like the following with the slash and the color split:

ODDIeSO.png

9 hours ago, vtgco said:

These Cincy jerseys look pretty good, though the away looks a bit too LA Galaxy for my time. Having blue shorts and some more diagonal stripes would help!

I was actually planning to apply three stripes as a sash similar to this Arsenal jersey, but it took too much space on the kit. However, I will apply the feedback and post the adjusted kit shortly, alongside your other comments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

After a long break, here are the jerseys for Nashville SC. On the home jersey, I have utilized the soundwave pattern that the club has been using in social media. Meanwhile on the away jersey, I was inspired by York City's iconic Y-front jerseys and I adapted the same idea to Nashville SC due to the prominence of the letter N in their logo and their slogans (such as "Everyone N"). To top it off, on the third jersey I wanted to go for a unique color and I have been inspired by the exterior of the historic Tootsie's Orchid Lounge honky-tonk bar. An orchid pattern completes the third jersey. Hope you like the jerseys, and please let me know if you have any feedback!

g70IBrT.png

DC2B0BX.png

BRuP018.png

I just got around to this so it's time for a block of text. In general, I really like the presentation of the kits ... the template is nice.

NYCFC: going blue/white/orange looks much better than I expected and it's such a unique look that I'd like to see them try it at some point and the skyline with the Statue of Liberty included is really cool.

Nashville: I think the yellow/blue/white worked great and the wave pattern is a great way to give the yellow shirt some character. Great job on that. I'm not sure the large N works all that well on the secondary though.

Cincy: our primary kit concepts are nearly identical so hopefully the Adidas designers take the hint ... and the secondary is classy as well and I appreciate keeping the sash going with both kits

DC: I think there is too much red to be honest, but that's because I view DC as a black and white team with red accents ... but I don't think your DC concept works as well as most of your others

LAFC: the underlying pattern works great and has a real LAFC feel to it, but I think the shoulder stripes might just be too distracting on the primary ... the secondary however is perfect

Minnesota: the update with the sublimated wings on the primary is great ... and if you go away from the big wing on the primary but want to keep the wing imagery, then this was a great way to do it

Atlanta: the primary kit is amazing to me as a modernized kit ... going through my series I realized that soccer concepts are unique since teams will change their kits every year (or two in MLS) and in reality a team will vary between very classic or retro looking kits and more modernized stuff so in a perfect world a designer would have one of each because kit design is cyclical ... and when Atlanta varies to a more modernized or stylized design, this feather look in the stripes is so unique and works well for Atlanta with the phoenix bird on the flag ... the Atlanta second kit seems weirdly balanced in terms of colors since those middle stripes just seem slapped on ... but the third is great.

Vancouver: as a modern and stylized design for Vancouver, these designs are also great and uniquely Caps

Seattle: I really want Seattle to bring more of the flag imagery into their kits, because the Chief Seattle is so cool

LA Galaxy: the zig zags in the sash and sublimated on the secondary are great, and I picked up on the flag reference right away so it works great

NE: that flag-inspired kit is amazing and I actually think the tree logo shouldn't have an outline, but it's a tremendous kit

Great job so far. I hope you keep going with this and churning out some new designs. Especially for expansion teams.

Here are the kits for the last team for the 2020 season, Inter Miami. On the home kit, I have utilized an abstract design depicting waves hitting the Miami Beach coastline. On the away kit, I have applied a design that belongs to the Outrun/synthwave aesthetic, both of which draw inspiration from 80s Miami. I have also taken advantage of the fact that Inter Miami doesn't have a sponsor this season and placed the main design element centrally on the away kit.

MJWL4jj.png

pfZZAG7.png

On 2/3/2019 at 11:49 AM, vtgco said:

Thank you very much, great to hear that you have liked the kits, I'll try to work on the feedback sometime soon. 👍

On 5/29/2020 at 8:42 AM, Hawkeye15 said:

I just got around to this so it's time for a block of text. In general, I really like the presentation of the kits ... the template is nice.

NYCFC: going blue/white/orange looks much better than I expected and it's such a unique look that I'd like to see them try it at some point and the skyline with the Statue of Liberty included is really cool.

Nashville: I think the yellow/blue/white worked great and the wave pattern is a great way to give the yellow shirt some character. Great job on that. I'm not sure the large N works all that well on the secondary though.

Cincy: our primary kit concepts are nearly identical so hopefully the Adidas designers take the hint ... and the secondary is classy as well and I appreciate keeping the sash going with both kits

DC: I think there is too much red to be honest, but that's because I view DC as a black and white team with red accents ... but I don't think your DC concept works as well as most of your others

LAFC: the underlying pattern works great and has a real LAFC feel to it, but I think the shoulder stripes might just be too distracting on the primary ... the secondary however is perfect

Minnesota: the update with the sublimated wings on the primary is great ... and if you go away from the big wing on the primary but want to keep the wing imagery, then this was a great way to do it

Atlanta: the primary kit is amazing to me as a modernized kit ... going through my series I realized that soccer concepts are unique since teams will change their kits every year (or two in MLS) and in reality a team will vary between very classic or retro looking kits and more modernized stuff so in a perfect world a designer would have one of each because kit design is cyclical ... and when Atlanta varies to a more modernized or stylized design, this feather look in the stripes is so unique and works well for Atlanta with the phoenix bird on the flag ... the Atlanta second kit seems weirdly balanced in terms of colors since those middle stripes just seem slapped on ... but the third is great.

Vancouver: as a modern and stylized design for Vancouver, these designs are also great and uniquely Caps

Seattle: I really want Seattle to bring more of the flag imagery into their kits, because the Chief Seattle is so cool

LA Galaxy: the zig zags in the sash and sublimated on the secondary are great, and I picked up on the flag reference right away so it works great

NE: that flag-inspired kit is amazing and I actually think the tree logo shouldn't have an outline, but it's a tremendous kit

Great job so far. I hope you keep going with this and churning out some new designs. Especially for expansion teams.

Thank you very much for the valuable feedback, glad you liked the kits!

Here is the redesign for the expansion side Charlotte FC who will be joining the league in 2022. Even though it's not my strong suit, I also wanted to take a stab at redesigning their logo as I felt like they have unveiled an uninspiring logo. I wanted to go for a detailed logo with substance, as opposed to the overly simple logo that was revealed. The only restriction that I placed for myself was to keep the current color scheme. The redesigned logo takes inspiration from the first coin minted by the Charlotte Mint in terms of the general shape, font and the six-pointed stars; and features Queen Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz who is the namesake of the city. Hope you like the rebrand and please let me know if there is anything I can improve:

0psTa7t.png

In terms of the kits, the home kit utilizes a checkerboard pattern as a reference to Charlotte's auto racing history. I felt like the checkerboard pattern was a unique look among other teams in the league and did a good job differentiating Charlotte from San Jose and Montreal who also share similar colors. Meanwhile, as you may guess, the away kit is a reference to the Charlotte Mint and features a crown pattern on the sleeves. The logo on the socks is a reference to the first coin minted by the Charlotte Mint. Also, after designing the kits, I have realized that they resemble Inter Milan's beautiful kits from 19/20, which is an interesting parallel.

fgxenpz.pngZJQNGd8.png

Here are the kits for Austin FC who will start playing in the MLS this season. For the home kit, I used their unique logo to create what essentially can be considered as a striped kit. For the away kit, I was inspired by the architecture of the Texas State Capitol Building (which is located in Austin), particularly one of the door hinges. Hope you like the kits!

iPykJ6E.png

e5fRabU.png

On 11/16/2020 at 3:37 PM, MDTrey4 said:

Love all three pieces from Charlotte. One small suggestion. I've liked what the new Hornets city jerseys did with the pinstripes and I think that could fit on the blue outer circle. Bringing more of a coin motif to it all would tie it together with the mint jerseys. Other than that, looks great!

Glad you liked Charlotte and thank you for the suggestion! That is a very good idea and was something I was considering, I will try to work on it as soon as possible.

Very nice! I'm an inter fan, so I naturally love Charlottes look, its super classy, and that new crest would undoubtedly help them stand out in a league full of letter monograms. They look like a real, old time, traditional team, love the look. Austin looks great as well, really out of the box on the home set but it looks great! Good work

I just discovered this thread, and all these concepts are very well-done! I really like how the local references are very subtle, and I'll admit that I may borrow a few of your ideas in my concept series!

My particular favorite is Houston's Space Shuttle-inspired clash. Just absolutely brilliant and very well-executed. Great job on these! :)

The Charlotte concept as a whole is great. The checkers look good with blue and black and would be unique for MLS. I also like the idea of the logo, but I think it has details that are too small and fine to be picked up in most applications. I just wonder if the head can be reworked somehow to have thicker lines and details in general without losing too much accuracy on the necklace and crown. The lines in the hair I think need the most reworking though. My favorite thing is the second kit for Charlotte though. That color scheme works perfectly and the crown pattern on the sleeve is perfectly done. Great job.

I don't have as many comments on the Austin kits. They are solid and I like the ideas.

Finally, I present you the kits for the final team in the series, St. Louis City. I wanted to incorporate the Gateway Arch into the kits to give them a unique and distinguishable look. On the away kit, as silver is an underutilized color throughout the league, I used the Arch Steel color the club has on their color scheme. The multi colored arch is a play on sunlight hitting the Gateway Arch. I decided on using St. Louis based cereal manufacturer Post Consumer Brands as a sponsor for the kits.

After I designed the jerseys, I noticed that @Midwest_surfer also produced a similar concept to mine here with the arch positioned slightly differently. I just wanted to let everyone know beforehand that it was never my intention to copy any concepts, wanted to give him a shout-out and urge you to check his beautiful concepts as well! If you all think the designs are too similar, I would like to apologize in advance and I would be happy to come up with new concepts. Thank you for your understanding and I hope you enjoy the kits!

0aO0r0A.png

gnSgixe.png

On 2/5/2021 at 4:35 AM, jaytavo305 said:

Very nice! I'm an inter fan, so I naturally love Charlottes look, its super classy, and that new crest would undoubtedly help them stand out in a league full of letter monograms. They look like a real, old time, traditional team, love the look. Austin looks great as well, really out of the box on the home set but it looks great! Good work

Thank you very much! That was the exact look I was trying to go for Charlotte and am very happy that you felt that way.

On 2/6/2021 at 11:44 AM, TheGiantsFan said:

I just discovered this thread, and all these concepts are very well-done! I really like how the local references are very subtle, and I'll admit that I may borrow a few of your ideas in my concept series!

My particular favorite is Houston's Space Shuttle-inspired clash. Just absolutely brilliant and very well-executed. Great job on these! :)

Thanks a lot! Glad that you liked the concepts. It's an honor especially hearing it from someone like you, and I'm looking forward to more of your concepts as well! :)

On 2/7/2021 at 6:07 AM, Hawkeye15 said:

The Charlotte concept as a whole is great. The checkers look good with blue and black and would be unique for MLS. I also like the idea of the logo, but I think it has details that are too small and fine to be picked up in most applications. I just wonder if the head can be reworked somehow to have thicker lines and details in general without losing too much accuracy on the necklace and crown. The lines in the hair I think need the most reworking though. My favorite thing is the second kit for Charlotte though. That color scheme works perfectly and the crown pattern on the sleeve is perfectly done. Great job.

I don't have as many comments on the Austin kits. They are solid and I like the ideas.

Thanks for the valuable feedback, the details being too small and the lines in the hair were the only concerns I had regarding the Charlotte logo, as I am not too experienced in logo design, I tried looking at examples which depict human profiles in logos, such as Olympiacos, Ajax and Gent, however I wasn't able to find a reference which I can use. I will make sure to revise the logo when I have free time.

On 3/28/2021 at 10:10 PM, kerlonmoura said:

Finally, I present you the kits for the final team in the series, St. Louis City. I wanted to incorporate the Gateway Arch into the kits to give them a unique and distinguishable look. On the away kit, as silver is an underutilized color throughout the league, I used the Arch Steel color the club has on their color scheme. The multi colored arch is a play on sunlight hitting the Gateway Arch. I decided on using St. Louis based cereal manufacturer Post Consumer Brands as a sponsor for the kits.

After I designed the jerseys, I noticed that @Midwest_surfer also produced a similar concept to mine here with the arch positioned slightly differently. I just wanted to let everyone know beforehand that it was never my intention to copy any concepts, wanted to give him a shout-out and urge you to check his beautiful concepts as well! If you all think the designs are too similar, I would like to apologize in advance and I would be happy to come up with new concepts. Thank you for your understanding and I hope you enjoy the kits!

0aO0r0A.png

gnSgixe.png

Thank you very much! That was the exact look I was trying to go for Charlotte and am very happy that you felt that way.

Thanks a lot! Glad that you liked the concepts. It's an honor especially hearing it from someone like you, and I'm looking forward to more of your concepts as well! :)

Thanks for the valuable feedback, the details being too small and the lines in the hair were the only concerns I had regarding the Charlotte logo, as I am not too experienced in logo design, I tried looking at examples which depict human profiles in logos, such as Olympiacos, Ajax and Gent, however I wasn't able to find a reference which I can use. I will make sure to revise the logo when I have free time.

These are just simply beautiful. 

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

STL is very well done. So many MLS teams have moved away from having distinct kits, which is a shame. And these would be very distinct by featuring the arch. I spent a lot of time trying to get an arch into my past attempt at an STL concept, and I just couldn't do it in a way that I liked. But you nailed it. That silver kit is particularly great, with the blue and red switching at the top of the arch.

Archived