NHL 2017 Redsign (Added All Star Game)

colinturner95

2lzrqLu.png

I had been putting off the start of this project for a while and then I remembered school is right around the corner and so I thought it better to get it going as soon as possilble. As the title and header image suggest, it's time for another NHL redesign from me. The last one I did came in 2013 and looking back on it, was just awful. I hope that in the 3 years since, my skills have gotten better. Anyways, its another NHL leaguewide redesign, and even with Adidas taking over, I left all the jerseys Reebok branded. Lets get in to it. 

The last time I ran through the NHL, I was very sloppy, this time I hope to not be a walking disaster. Anyways, here's a couple rules I'll hope to follow: 

• NHL sets a rule on jerseys: 5 can be in the rotation for any given season. Special event jerseys (Winter Classic, SS, Heritage) can be worn after their event if the club desires. Just means one of the 5 pre-determined jerseys gets worn one less time that season
  • Have to have a designated home and away set, but the other 3 can be alternates, throwbacks, what have you. 

I think one team has 5 jerseys but you'll see why when I get to them. The Bruins are not the team, and here they are: 

lsHIfYw.png   BiD6ISD.png

Call me crazy, but I don't think too highly of the EDGE Bruins uniforms. The overoutlining ruins it for me. Plus, I'm just not a fan of the uniforms. Call it unpopular if you want. I went back in time on their look.

-took the stripes from the '69-'74 jerseys 

-kept the more modern looking yoke design

-deleted a few outlines from the spoked B, which improves the look drastically IMHO

-BRUINS bear logo graces the shoulders. 

-single color NOB, also fixes the look. 

-home socks stay yellow, but both sets reflect the jersey stripes now. 

-black pants now feature standalone B on the pant leg. 

Alternate: 

sOMDq79.png

Having two black jerseys feels really redundant to me, and so elevating the Winter Classic jersey to me felt a very lateral move. So I played with the design a little bit, because I was a big fan of said WC uniform.

-basically flipped the colors on the WC jersey from this past year. 

-big ass stripes on the sleeves, and one big ass hem stripe. 

-modern bear logo on the chest. 

C&C welcome and will have Buffalo up next. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would've posted Buffalo up with Boston but I noticed a few things I had to change before that could happen

weXwugd.pngmQilyqg.png

I've always felt that Buffalo looked better in Navy than Royal Blue, but they still have a few things that detract from their current look. 

-dumped silver finally. Color scheme is now just navy, yellow and white. 

-"B-sword" logo graces the shoulders now, front number is taken off. 

-northwestern stripe across the sleeves and hem

-pants gain stripes, used the pattern from the 40th anniversary set

-new wordmark on the pant leg

-socks have same stripe pattern as above

Alternate: 

7dgr2uv.png \

Remeber that 40th anniversary jersey? If you can't already tell I liked it a lot. Now I know I said I liked the Sabres in Navy over Royal but that jersey grew on me and inspired this heritage (I guess you can call it) uniform. 

-royal blue jersey

-striping inspired by the '83-'87 socks, but obviously tweaked a little bit. 

-intially I had a yoke, but then I eliminated it but left the phantom yoke, but I kinda like it. 

-40th anniversary wordmark on the chest, minus the 40th anniversary text in the logo

-royal pants, same stripes, charging buffalo roundel on the leg. 

-socks carry the pattern

C&C on both Boston and Buffalo welcome. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

16 minutes ago, bkknight95 said:

Alternate: 

7dgr2uv.png \

Remeber that 40th anniversary jersey? If you can't already tell I liked it a lot. Now I know I said I liked the Sabres in Navy over Royal but that jersey grew on me and inspired this heritage (I guess you can call it) uniform. 

-royal blue jersey

-striping inspired by the '83-'87 socks, but obviously tweaked a little bit. 

-intially I had a yoke, but then I eliminated it but left the phantom yoke, but I kinda like it. 

-40th anniversary wordmark on the chest, minus the 40th anniversary text in the logo

-royal pants, same stripes, charging buffalo roundel on the leg. 

-socks carry the pattern

C&C on both Boston and Buffalo welcome. 

the striping seems too St. Louis Blues to me... and also the lines above the buffalo and below it should be white its kind of an eye sore

On August 8, 2016 at 0:58 PM, bkknight95 said:

2lzrqLu.png

I had been putting off the start of this project for a while and then I remembered school is right around the corner and so I thought it better to get it going as soon as possilble. As the title and header image suggest, it's time for another NHL redesign from me. The last one I did came in 2013 and looking back on it, was just awful. I hope that in the 3 years since, my skills have gotten better. Anyways, its another NHL leaguewide redesign, and even with Adidas taking over, I left all the jerseys Reebok branded. Lets get in to it. 

The last time I ran through the NHL, I was very sloppy, this time I hope to not be a walking disaster. Anyways, here's a couple rules I'll hope to follow: 

• NHL sets a rule on jerseys: 5 can be in the rotation for any given season. Special event jerseys (Winter Classic, SS, Heritage) can be worn after their event if the club desires. Just means one of the 5 pre-determined jerseys gets worn one less time that season
  • Have to have a designated home and away set, but the other 3 can be alternates, throwbacks, what have you. 

I think one team has 5 jerseys but you'll see why when I get to them. The Bruins are not the team, and here they are: 

lsHIfYw.png   BiD6ISD.png

Call me crazy, but I don't think too highly of the EDGE Bruins uniforms. The overoutlining ruins it for me. Plus, I'm just not a fan of the uniforms. Call it unpopular if you want. I went back in time on their look.

-took the stripes from the '69-'74 jerseys 

-kept the more modern looking yoke design

-deleted a few outlines from the spoked B, which improves the look drastically IMHO

-BRUINS bear logo graces the shoulders. 

-single color NOB, also fixes the look. 

-home socks stay yellow, but both sets reflect the jersey stripes now. 

-black pants now feature standalone B on the pant leg. 

Alternate: 

sOMDq79.png

Having two black jerseys feels really redundant to me, and so elevating the Winter Classic jersey to me felt a very lateral move. So I played with the design a little bit, because I was a big fan of said WC uniform.

-basically flipped the colors on the WC jersey from this past year. 

-big ass stripes on the sleeves, and one big ass hem stripe. 

-modern bear logo on the chest. 

C&C welcome and will have Buffalo up next. 

Looks good, but on the white jersey i think the current striping on the sleeves the Bruins use would balance it out with the home jersey. Great idea with the set though and love the Alt jersey.

So, I'm trying to figure out what to do with Buffalo's alternate, but in the meantime, I updated Boston's home and away: 

3VjWjb1.png   lEohbFy.png

I reworked the striping on the away set and the home socks and I changed the home name on back to white. I think it would be more visible than the yellow would be. 

C&C and I'll keep playing around with Buffalo.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

3 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

So, I'm trying to figure out what to do with Buffalo's alternate, but in the meantime, I updated Boston's home and away: 

3VjWjb1.png   lEohbFy.png

I reworked the striping on the away set and the home socks and I changed the home name on back to white. I think it would be more visible than the yellow would be. 

C&C and I'll keep playing around with Buffalo.

?

45 minutes ago, OhioSportsMan61 said:

This is a great start to your series, that is pretty much what Boston should be wearing. I can really dig that alternate, too.

I also really like your equipment presentation, where did you find the glove and pants templates?

The pants, gloves and helmet I traced out of the Bauer 2015 equipment catalog. It was a bitch and a half but worth it in the end. 

So, my original plan on Buffalo was a second chance on a yellow alternate, but then I remembered Boston would be in yellow as well so, the royal blue jersey was born instead. 

FthgUY1.png

Still using the 40th anniv. jersey and the socks of Sabres past as my inspiration for the stripes, I went back to a pattern that has more relevance to the Sabres. I still don't know if I like it more as a base yellow or royal jersey. 

C&C it up and Detroit will be up next. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

So I think I'm good on Boston and Buffalo, so next up from the Atlantic: Detroit

p4NIt1s.png   4fKQBjt.png

Detroit's look is about as timeless as it gets, so if you're looking for a lot of change, you won't be finding it here. 

-home jersey remains mostly unchanged, hem stripe moves up to match the white jersey. 

-white jersey dumps the red sleeves and is a color swap of the home jersey

-both jerseys have the JLA commemorative patch on the shoulder

-pants keep the stripe, old English "D" on the pant leg now. 

-socks dont change

Alternate: 

zOkrqLD.png

I know I said what I did about Boston having two of the same colored jersey, but Detroit has two colors. No need to shoehorn black or grey into the fold. Anyways, if the first Winter Classic jersey and the Stadium Series jersey got together, this is the child. 

-flipped the colors on the first Winter Classic jersey (red body, white stripes)

-Stadium Series "D" logo graces the chest

-JLA patch on the shoulder. 

-white gloves (I liked them in the SS game and its fun to change things up every so often).

C&C away!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I love the rest of Detroit's set, but the red sleeves are iconic, and shouldn't be dumped. That being said, the all white jersey still looks spectacular!!! I know you said that one team might have up to 5 uniforms, so maybe make the all white Detroit jersey the Road alt? 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

20 hours ago, Seattle1917 said:

Good looking series so far, are you doing outdoor games for this season? 

It is in the plans. They'll be up after all the teams

21 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I love the rest of Detroit's set, but the red sleeves are iconic, and shouldn't be dumped. That being said, the all white jersey still looks spectacular!!! I know you said that one team might have up to 5 uniforms, so maybe make the all white Detroit jersey the Road alt? 

So I completely misread what you wrote, and you'll see what I came up with: 

Va53wIM.png

I added the red sleeves back. Never been crazy about them but it is what it is. 

I've got 5 jersey slots to play with and I'm not being crazy enough :P (this is where I misread you @chcarlson23)

zBdVowH.png

Red Wings have never had an alternate jersey, so why not have 2? 

C&C away!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I had meant make the red sleeved white jersey the road, and the all white the second alt, but this works too!!! :D

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Florida is finally ready, so here goes: 

OIWVi4q.pngAwMxNKw.png

So the base of this design was completed before the Panthers had offically released the new uniforms, logos, fonts, etc. I knew that new uniforms would have a stripe across the chest, so I ran with that. 

-colors remain the same as before. I felt there wasn't enough contrast between the new gold and the red/navy. 

-I liked the idea of a chest stripe but felt there was no need to copy the Canadiens uniforms. 

-used the striping pattern from their now previous uniforms on the sleeves and chest. 

-also used the panther head from the short lived roundel. It always looked meaner to me, and I felt it was vastly underrated. 

-used the new shield logo on the shoulders. 

-new font used as well. 

-socks carry the stripes

-pants have triple stripe on the legs

Alternates:

kmOTw5K.png     OoMVaDF.png

Ok, still ended up copying the Canadiens. My bad guys. Anyways, 

-navy and gold!!! alternates

-new panther shield head on the chest, Florida flag logo on the shoulders

-socks have the stripes, pants do too

C&C welcomed as always

AmPJ0Ty.png 

4 hours ago, Morgo said:

The chest stripes shouldn't abruptly end for no reason.

I did it so the uniforms wouldn't be the exact same as the Canadiens and have a sense of modernity to the uniforms. Plus I thought it looked better than what the real uniforms did with the stripe not continuing onto the back. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

So I was hoping for more criticism on Florida, but in the meantime I have a question for you guys because I need another opinion:

pg7M5Ee.png

So this is obviously the Canadiens home jersey, but I'm not sure what blue I like more. On the left is the Winter Classic blue, the right is the normal blue they've used in my life time. 

If you could please voice your opinion on Florida and the blues I'm having on Montreal, it would be much appreciated. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Montreal looks good in the regular blue. 

For FLA, the home amd away would prob be better with the logo on the alts instead of the old Panther Head.

"This is our f*****g city. And nobody is going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong."—David Ortiz 

#34ever

Archived