NHL Combination of Eras (BONUS: Whale-canes)

TheLAKnight

I really like that Arizona alt, and would love to see them use something like that, on ice.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We begin the Metropolitan division today with concepts for 2 teams: Carolina and Columbus. Neither team has deviated far from their inaugural looks, so the changes are fairly minimal.

Carolina

The primary and secondary logos have remained the same since they moved to the area in 1997, so nothing changed there. I took the team's original look, but changed the arms to reflect the newer version

Carolina Set 1.png

Columbus

Unlike the Hurricanes, the Blue Jackets have changed primary logos, but their jerseys have remained relatively untouched. In order to incorporate their first logo with their current, I changed the colors on the star to match the older version. On the secondary, I brought back the cap logo with subtle changes like adding light blue to the cap and different stars to the oval.

Columbus Logo 1.png

Columbus Logo 2.png

The only changes to the team's current design was adding back the hem stripes from their first set.

Columbus Set 1.png

4 hours ago, TheLAKnight said:

We begin the Metropolitan division today with concepts for 2 teams: Carolina and Columbus. Neither team has deviated far from their inaugural looks, so the changes are fairly minimal.

Carolina

The primary and secondary logos have remained the same since they moved to the area in 1997, so nothing changed there. I took the team's original look, but changed the arms to reflect the newer version

Carolina Set 1.png

Columbus

Unlike the Hurricanes, the Blue Jackets have changed primary logos, but their jerseys have remained relatively untouched. In order to incorporate their first logo with their current, I changed the colors on the star to match the older version. On the secondary, I brought back the cap logo with subtle changes like adding light blue to the cap and different stars to the oval.

Columbus Logo 1.png

Columbus Logo 2.png

The only changes to the team's current design was adding back the hem stripes from their first set.

Columbus Set 1.png

Really hope you use the original logo for the alternates!

Two more teams from the Metro with very few changes: the Devils and the Islanders!

New Jersey

Logo: ...

Jersey Set: The home jersey remains the same save for the yoke outline and the white hem while the road jersey looks more like the green and red version with the thick colored stripes and red yoke. The striping of these two jerseys are actually identical though: white-black-white-red. Also, the stripes on the pants return.

New Jersey Set 1.png

NY Islanders

Logo: The current 4 stripe logo with navy blue.

Jersey Set: The set is very similar to the what it is today, but there are a few noticeable alterations. The darker shade of blue first introduced with the Fisherman set and used until 2010 returns. The road jersey looks almost exactly as it did from 1998-2007. In all their years, the Isles have only had orange cuffs on the dark jersey in one set, their first EDGE cut. Combining this detail with original and Cup winning sets gives us the new design choice. I thought about adding teal to represent the aforementioned Fisherman, but I felt like the unique number font was the better detail to bring back.

NY Islanders Set 1.png

7 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

As an Islanders fan, that set would be nothing but an upgrade. I feel like teal would be a nice addition between the arm and waist stripes, and would be an even nicer addition to the era-combo.

It's definitely a more interesting look. I think it blends too much on the home, but the road looks pretty good.

NY Islanders Set 2.png

Carolina- Looks great, except I don't like the mismatching arms on the road & away sets. I get it's a nod what they wear now, but I prefer the set of arm stripes on the home. They're unique to the Canes that way.

Columbus- Only change that would've been nice is to see stars added back to the striping or bringing back the Black somehow.

New Jersey- I can live with these changes and it actually makes a very nice set overall.

Islanders- Bare shoulders. Why not use the Lighthouse logo or even the 4 stripe patch from both the Pre & Edge sets? Or even both, using different logos for each shoulder? Besides that, i adore this killer set. Easily the best yet.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

@TheLAKnight, although I'm not a hockey fan, I'm really enjoying this series and think you're doing a great job. I wish you had completed your NHL-MLB crossover series, but this is a nice consolation. Keep up the good work!

I might get back to that at some point. I was starting to hit a wall with some of the designs.

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Carolina- Looks great, except I don't like the mismatching arms on the road & away sets. I get it's a nod what they wear now, but I prefer the set of arm stripes on the home. They're unique to the Canes that way.

Columbus- Only change that would've been nice is to see stars added back to the striping or bringing back the Black somehow.

New Jersey- I can live with these changes and it actually makes a very nice set overall.

Islanders- Bare shoulders. Why not use the Lighthouse logo or even the 4 stripe patch from both the Pre & Edge sets? Or even both, using different logos for each shoulder? Besides that, i adore this killer set. Easily the best yet.

Carolina - I really didn't like the way the white jersey turned out because of all the black. The home has a good mix of colors so it works.

Columbus - I did keep the individual stars on the cuff, but the 3 stars and possibly black will get worked in on the alternate.

Islanders - I kept the shoulders bare because with the exception of a few seasons, they haven't had anything there. Plus the 4 stripes seems even more redundant once it got changed on the stick. The 3rd will fix this though.

Since I've already done the teams in pairs, we'll continue that way.

NY Rangers

Logo: Logo? What logo?

Jersey Set: Almost nothing changes from their current set. The collar is no longer a tie-down and the names are no longer arched. I almost brought back the home jersey design from the '90s, but this version has been used for much longer.

NY Rangers Set 1.png

Philadelphia

Logo: This division really likes to use the same logos forever.

Jersey Set: Significant changes come to the Flyers uniforms. The sleeve design from the current set is thickened and a black outline is added from the team's oldest serving set. The sock design and black hem also come from that set. And yes, the white nameplate is used on both jerseys, not just the home.

Philadelphia Set 1.png

Last up for the Metro, the Penguins and Capitals.

Pittsburgh

Logo: The Pens new primary is itself a combination of eras with yellow-gold added to the previous logo. The shoulder patch is the robo-pen inside of the original roundel.

Jersey Set: Most of the jerseys' details come from the team's new old look. For almost half of the team's history, they have had angled stripes on their sleeves, so I brought that back. The actual ones used are most similar to their robo-pen set. Other details include:

• previous number font and coloring (1995-2016)
  • previous sock design (2002-2016)
  • thinner triangle on pants (1974-771977-84)

Pittsburgh Set 1.png

Washington

Logos: The current script logo is recolored to match the original version. The '90s eagle also returns as a shoulder patch.

Washington Logo 1.png

Washington Logo 3.png

Jersey Set: So I cheated a little bit on this one. The Caps have never used traditional stripes on their arms, at best they had 2 thin stripes on the end of their sleeves. Their '90s set did have angled stripes which somewhat matched the angled hem stripe on the home and road. (Also, it just looked better with matching stripes). Everything else comes from a previous jersey set though. Beginning with the Capitals original look, I changed the shade of blue to the one used in the '90s, added identical striping (including the cuffs) to the arms, and left 3 stars below the stripes to match those on the home logo. Other details include:

• current number font, but blue with a red outline on the road (1974-95)
  • blue pants with only stars down the side (stars 1974-95, no stripes 1995-present)

Washington Set 1.png

Let me know if there's any changes that I should make to these before I start posting the alternate jerseys for the division starting tomorrow.

On 8/24/2016 at 5:51 PM, TheLAKnight said:

Since I've already done the teams in pairs, we'll continue that way.

NY Rangers

Logo: Logo? What logo?

Jersey Set: Almost nothing changes from their current set. The collar is no longer a tie-down and the names are no longer arched. I almost brought back the home jersey design from the '90s, but this version has been used for much longer.

NY Rangers Set 1.png

Philadelphia

Logo: This division really likes to use the same logos forever.

Jersey Set: Significant changes come to the Flyers uniforms. The sleeve design from the current set is thickened and a black outline is added from the team's oldest serving set. The sock design and black hem also come from that set. And yes, the white nameplate is used on both jerseys, not just the home.

Philadelphia Set 1.png

Rangers need an alt...*cough*STATUE OF LIBERTY!*cough*...sorry I have a cold

I really like this look for the Caps. They're the one team in the east I follow a bit, since Trotz is now behind the bench.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Penguins- Epic usage of eras here, and it comes off as a modern, yet classy set. If they took to the ice using these, I'd have 0 issues.

Caps- Not bad! The one thing that bugs me is the pixels on the Eagle logo. You are working with MS Paint, right? If so, always clean up your work. Loose Pixels can make a logo look like crud.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Archived