NHL Combination of Eras (BONUS: Whale-canes)

TheLAKnight

2 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I really like this look, especially the away. For the theme, this is amazing. Did you consider swapping blue and yellow on the home? I think it would still work well, but also let them retain their "gold team" identity that the fanbase has embraced. I also really like that pick/skull combo. Not as much as the original pick one, but it works very well.

If the team used the actual pick and dropped the triangle, that away is absolutely what they should be wearing. Maybe it's because I am a Preds fan, but this is my favorite of the series.

Here's what a color swap of the home jersey would look like. Could go either way on which one to keep.

Nashville Home 2.png

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both are fantastic, but I think the yellow primary works a little better with the team's identity. I would love to see this on the ice.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

St. Louis' current set is fantastic, but some changes had to be made in order to incorporate other eras. Unlike most of the other teams, I have 4 different versions of the primary set. Let me know if you would like to see the other ones.

Logo: The Blues have had variations of the same logo since their inception. This version logo is very similar to the one in use today, however, the white outline is gone and ST. LOUIS is written along the top as it was from 1984-98.

St. Louis Logo 1.png

Jersey Set: The shoulder yoke and striping pattern on the blue jersey come from designs used from 1967-73 and 1984-94 while the details on the white come from all sets used from 1968-94. The thin stripes are changed from either the blue or red (depending on the older set) to navy. The arm stripes are angled similar to those used in the late '90s and early 2000s. Other details include:

• number font (1987-98)
  • navy pants (1997-present) with striping (1967-94)
  • BLUES wordmark on helmet (1984-present)

Option A

St. Louis Set 1.png 

For the sake of space,

• Option B: option A with blue pants
  • Option C: white and yellow stripes on blue jersey swapped (think this set) with navy pants
  • Option D: option C with blue pants 

So based on the criteria that I've set out, one team wasn't going to work: Winnipeg. They have used the same uniforms since they returned in 2011.

From what I've seen people asking about (and because the team is using a Jets 1.0 design in the Heritage Classic), I'll do sets combining different franchises for the Jets and other teams at the end.

With that said... 

...we move on to the alternates for the Central!

Chicago

Logo: Since I used the roundel on the home and road jerseys, I used just the head here. Originally I wasn't going to use the tomahawks, but that set was too busy. I'll explain why below. The logo is recolored to match the color scheme.

Chicago Logo 3.png

Jersey Set: The jersey borrows elements from the team's black jersey from 1937-55, their first 3rd jersey, and their first Winter Classic jersey. The pattern of the stripes and the red hem comes from the initial set. The primary logo and collar come from the middle set. Lastly, the shoulder patches and use of tan come from the latter. On the first version of this jersey, I attempting to incorporate the shoulder stripes from their earliest sets. This look was just too busy though.

Chicago Alt Set 2.png

Colorado

Logos: The diagonal text comes from 2 alternates worn by the Avs. Primary is on the shoulders.

Jersey Set: The main influence of this jersey was the 3rd jersey worn from 2009-15. The slate blue base, burgundy yoke, and striping pattern all come from that. The use of a hem stripe comes from the first COLORADO jersey. The most noticeable change from these 2 sets is the use on navy blue. This along with the colored cuffs, modern tie-down, and number font come from the team's current alternate

Colorado Alt Set 1.png

Dallas

Logos: The D star is used on its own this time in its original colors save for the gold outline. The same shoulder patch from the primary set is used.

Jersey Set: As promised the star template returns after a 9 year absence. Other than the logos and numbers, it is almost a straight recreation of that set. The collar from the current set is also added. (I realized just now that I did not use any elements from the Mooterus, but I don't think anyone is going to complain about that.)

Dallas Alt Set 1.png

Moving on...

Minnesota

Logos: The script from the team's current 3rd jersey is used. The roundel logo from the current home jersey is on the shoulders.

Jersey Set: In 2003, the Wild introduced a red alternate. Since 2007, it's been their home jersey with some minor changes. I returned to the original version by removing the phantom yoke and adding back the green hem.

Minnesota Alt Set 1.png 

Nashville

Logos: In this particular version, I slightly updated the team's original alternate logo. On the right shoulder, the team's original shoulder patch returns.

Nashville Logo 3.png

Jersey Set: Given the choice, I would just assume have the team use the gold home jersey that I posted, but I wanted something different in order to use elements from the team's 3rd jerseys. I used the base from the team's current home jersey with the checkered striping from their 2009-11 alternate. As mentioned, the crest is from the team's mustard alternate (which shares many elements with the newest set!). Also, the angled numbers return.

Nashville Alt Set 1.png

St. Louis

Logos: The logo from the team's navy blue jersey remains here. The primary is used on the shoulders.

Jersey Set: The navy blue base, white cuffs, and collar all come from the current (now former?) alternate. The new elements, the 5 thin gold stripes, come from the '90s. This may be my favorite alternate to make.

St. Louis Alt Set 1.png

Let me know what you think of these alternates. Any changes that I should make before moving on to the final division?

I think maybe if you reversed the colors on the Wild alt, it would be perfect! The script logo looks much better on green so... 

I also think that the Blues alt could benefit from a little red, but that's just me. Great job otherwise!

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

I think maybe if you reversed the colors on the Wild alt, it would be perfect! The script logo looks much better on green so... 

I also think that the Blues alt could benefit from a little red, but that's just me. Great job otherwise!

Ya never really been a fan of Minnesota concepts like this one. That script is so hard to pass up though!

I felt that using red would have been one too many colors.

We're now onto the last division, the Atlantic! I'm going back to posting 2 teams per day.

Boston

Logos: The primary logo began with the team's current logo, IMO their best one. After much trial and error, I settled upon the look of their logo used from the '50s to the '90s. The biggest change was adding the serifs to the B reminiscent of both the current and original B logos. The shoulder logo isolates the bear from their current alternate logo. By itself, it ties in with 2 previously used bear logos.

Boston Logo 9.png

Jersey Set: Much like the new primary logo, the jerseys borrow elements mostly from the current set and the ones used from the '60s and '90s. The home jersey looks especially like the current version, however, the white stripe is separated from the yoke and the bottom stripe extends to the hem. The striping on the white jersey is identical, much like the other linked sets. The crest is the same on both jerseys as has been the case since 1995. Other details include:

• number font and outlines (1995-2007)
  • pants stripes (1939-68)
  • gold socks with B-W-B stripe (1969-95) 

Boston Set 1.png

Buffalo

Logos: Although it was never a primary logo, the alternate crossed swords logo replaces the smaller, original swords. Much of the excess detail is removed, making for a cleaner look. The buffalo remain unchanged. The B with a sword from the Buffaslug days returns to the shoulders. Everything is recolored to the team's original royal blue and yellow with sliver kept from the current set.

Buffalo Logo 8.png

Jersey Set: The a return to the original color scheme comes the return of a few original elements, like the cuffs on the white jersey. The piping is gone, but the striping pattern remains from the current look with royal blue replacing navy. The shoulder yoke extends to the nameplate as it did in the team's black and red days. Other details include:

Buffalo Set 1.png

C+C really appreciated on these. Is Boston too much of a throwback? Is Buffalo too modern?

3 hours ago, New York's Greatest said:

Would've preferred the yeti for  Colorado but you can't win'em all, also for Boston... Please bring back the 90s bear logo.

Not sure what you mean. The yeti foot is on the main set, although I did recolor it.

I'll see what I can do. I have an idea in mind, but I'll see what it looks like with that bear.

9 hours ago, TheLAKnight said:

Not sure what you mean. The yeti foot is on the main set, although I did recolor it.

I'll see what I can do. I have an idea in mind, but I'll see what it looks like with that bear.

Sorry if my wording was poor. I meant the thing with the yeti foot as it being the main logo on the alternate jersey

8 hours ago, New York's Greatest said:

Sorry if my wording was poor. I meant the thing with the yeti foot as it being the main logo on the alternate jersey

Ah, well it wouldn't word in this case as it's never been used on the front of their jerseys, but I may try it in my extra sets at the end.

Now for two teams with lateral uniform changes.

Detroit

Logos: The primary logo stays the same, but the inverted version is used on the red jersey as was the case from 1932-72 and 1982-83.

Jersey Set: The road jersey is identical to its current iteration, which itself has been in this form since 1961. As mentioned above, the crest is changed on the home jersey. The only other change is using a white stripe instead of hem as was the case from 1983-86. All other details are the same as the current set.

Detroit Set 1.png 

Florida

Logos: One of the first logos that I tinkered with for this series was Florida's. I wanted to combine the look of their original leaping panther with their new shield. I elected to use the updated panther as it is much cleaner. The older gold color is used though. The logo is also reminiscent of an early secondary logo. The sun logo remains unchanged on the shoulders.

Florida New Shield 3.png

Jersey Set: Most of the look comes from the team's oldest set including the triangular yoke, yellow stripes, and navy hem/cuffs. The thick, straight stripes from the current set are used with the chest stripe moving down to the hem. Other details include: 

Florida Set 1.png

Archived