NHL Combination of Eras (BONUS: Whale-canes)

TheLAKnight

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually finished the other Expansion Six team before the North Stars. The Seals had 3 very different looks to borrow from which made it an interesting set.

Logo: I recolored the short-lived California Seals logo to make it look more like the (not used on jerseys) Golden Seals primary without black.

California Logo 3.png

Jersey Set: As seen in the logo, I used aqua in place of the original shade of blue. It might be a bit too bright all together, but it's something so garish that they might just have tried it. The design of the jerseys though borrows heavily from their days as the Oakland Seals. The shoulder yokes with the thin stripe comes from the Golden Seals. Other details include:

• numbers on shoulders (1967-70)
  • pants (green 1967-74) with bottom striping (1974-76)
  • name on back added to green jersey
  • helmets

California Set 1.png

This looks great! The striping, the colours & logo look great! 

Also, I made an error when talking about the Thrashers. I would've liked to have seen the collar used with the little triangles from both the Pre-Edge and Edge set (white jersey). That was a little quirk I loved about the Thrashers sets, and it adds something to the design. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Thanks @hockey week :lol:

The last single team combination takes us to Hartford.

Logo: The team's final logo is used without gray. Pucky graces the shoulders!

Hartford Logo 1.png

Jersey Set: Green returns as the primary color. Their first and last sets provide the matching arm and tail stripes with green cuffs and hem. This combination is especially true in the stripes on the green jersey. The extra blue stripe matches the later set, but the cuff forms the original W-B-W-B-W striping. Other details include:

• number font (1985-92
  • blue pants (1992-97) with striping (pattern 1979-92) 

Hartford Set 1.png

A second version uses the same arm stripes from the white uniform on both jerseys.

Spoiler

Hartford Set 2.png

You know, there are a bunch of these that would actually work as third jerseys currently. So often we want there to be bunches of references to past jerseys and looks, and you've nailed all of these. 

I think you should take the ones that would work as a single standalone third jerseys, adjust anything you have to (idk, what all that might entail. Immediate thoughts would be dropping the turdburger font on the Sabres third and turn that into a proper current third jersey - their other two jerseys cover the rest of their history well enough. that kind of stuff), and finish off the series that way. Your Sharks home jersey and Kings third jersey would work as thirds right now.

Just a thought on how to end this on a true high note, because this is fantastic work. Definitely the best and most comprehensive version of an all-eras series on this board.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

That Hartford set..... just shut up and take my money. That's a great way to finish this series off. Either set is really nice, albeit I like version 1 a bit more. It's stuff like this series that makes me want to get back into making jersey concepts, even though I get stressed from them. 

The only other team that you didn't do I can see you do is the Hamilton Tigers (They had 4 sets of jerseys in 4 YEARS!) 

Maybe next up is a WHA or AHL combo of eras? Maybe the CHL? 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

I have 3 more sets completed that I will post over the next few days. Beyond that, I may make a couple other sets or more on to another series. 

These sets will combine elements from uniforms used just before and just after a relocation. The first of these is the Nordiques and the Avalanche.

Logo: The Nordiques N becomes an A with a puck riding down a snowy stick. It's a stretch, I know. The yeti foot by itself in burgundy and white is on the shoulders.

Que-Col Logo 4.png

Jersey Set: The template incorporates the iconic mountain stripes from the Avs first set. The colors though, follow the Nordiques last set with burgundy replacing red. Burgundy also replaces black in some designs taken from the Avs (i.e. name and numbers).

Que-Col Set 1.png

4 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

That Hartford set..... just shut up and take my money. That's a great way to finish this series off. Either set is really nice, albeit I like version 1 a bit more. It's stuff like this series that makes me want to get back into making jersey concepts, even though I get stressed from them. 

The only other team that you didn't do I can see you do is the Hamilton Tigers (They had 4 sets of jerseys in 4 YEARS!) 

Maybe next up is a WHA or AHL combo of eras? Maybe the CHL? 

You forgot about the New York/Brooklyn Americans...

Today's set visits 3 different cities. Before they were the Devils in New Jersey, the franchise had stops in Kansas City and Colorado. 

Logo: The NJ devil is the focus of the new logo this time in yellow like the KC from the Scouts logo. The background is blue with a white stripe taken from the Rockies logo.

KC-CO-NJ Logo 4.png

Jersey Set: The jerseys mostly borrow elements from the Devils inaugural set including the red base and striping pattern. The colors were used by both the Scouts and Rockies. The stripes are identical on both jerseys like both defunct teams. Lastly, the blue pants come from the Rockies white set.

KC-CO-NJ Set 2.png

I was probably too ambitious on that last one. I started with the NJ in red, but I thought it should match the KC. Here's one with the red and yellow swapped and an extra blue outline. Better?

KC-CO-NJ Logo 7.png

Spoiler

First version posted in this comment without blue outline. Realized immediately that it didn't look good, so I made the above version.

KC-CO-NJ Logo 5.png

Might be the last post for a little while. Decided to go out with a combination of 2 teams that I've already done.

Logo: Hartford logo with red replacing green. I'll fix the sloppy pixels later.

Hfd-Car Logo 1.png

Jersey Set: The sleeve are more like the Whalers final set while the hem is more reminiscent of the Hurricanes. The warning flag pattern is replaced with whale tails. Tried to use red and green, but the navy worked better.

Hfd-Car Set 1.png

Archived