Fun With Flags!!!!

Sport

On September 15, 2016 at 9:04 PM, Zeus89725 said:

Remember Provo's awful flag?

374px-Flag_of_Provo,_Utah.svg.png

Well, apparently they redid it and it looks a lot nicer. I know anything is an improvement over the last one, but this one is still a good 7/10 on my scale.

Picture1.png

Apparently that wasn't even one of the finalists. They had two designs they wanted the people to vote on but neither made the cut.

in the video about the two finalists you can see the mayor talking and in the background is what they would eventually use.

Sometimes the solution is staring right at you.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=29976571&nid=148

13 hours ago, Morgo said:

The swastika is a really well-designed insignia.  Shame it can't be used anymore due to the historical baggage, especially since it was originally created to represent peace.  Or so I've heard.

It's been around for a looooooong time. It's been found in all parts of the world in different time periods. Originally it is believed to mean "lucky" in sanskrit, the symbol also has religious overtones.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

The design can found in Ancient Greece as a decorative border to Native American Indians as a design element. It was used as a good luck charm and could be found on cigarette packages. There is even a town in Canada that is called Swastika.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika,_Ontario

And Hitler had to go and screw with it.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2016 at 3:12 PM, Ice_Cap said:

I'd be down with Tony Schiavone providing political commentary. 

"According to this leaked information, the Democrats are planning on giving the nomination to Hillary Clinton. Heh, yeah, that'll put butts in the seats."

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

14 hours ago, Viola73 said:

Apparently that wasn't even one of the finalists. They had two designs they wanted the people to vote on but neither made the cut.

in the video about the two finalists you can see the mayor talking and in the background is what they would eventually use.

Sometimes the solution is staring right at you.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=29976571&nid=148

scf_footer_alc_logo_312x126_enca.png  reminds me of this

hvmY186.png

On 2016-09-16 at 1:57 PM, Gothamite said:

This is a great example of what to do, and what not to do.  

The Union Jack takes the various pieces and blends them together into a cohesive whole that looks as though it was designed from scratch to be exactly what it is.  The Union Mark is just a mess, an obvious mash-up that doesn't work on any aesthetic level.

No argument there. The Sweden/Norway Union Mark stands out for me because of how unique it is, but it's not well designed. And it gets even worse when modern pan-Scandinavian movements try to modify it to include Denmark and Iceland :D

XgwXhzN.png

Makes resurrecting the basic but handsome Kalmar Union flag for such endeavours all the more sensible.

• Like 1

I know its not a flag but my hometown's (Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina) seal is something I'm really proud of:

ba)07mo.gif

It shows the Old Bridge, city's most beautiful sight, underneath it the river Neretva is shown in a stylized fashion. Topped of with the baby blue, which I'm not sure if there is a meaning behind it, but to me it symbolizes our fantastic weather (most sunny days in Europe after Athens, if I'm not mistaken :))

The flag is ok:

ba-07mo.gif

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I usually like hearing the stories behind a flag rather than the actual design. If there's a good story behind it, it goes up high in my book, even though I think it's a poor or boring design. I learned earlier this summer what the Austrian flag represents when I went there, and it instantly transformed it in my mind from a boring one, to a more impressive one. Sorry, I don't recall all the exact details, but during a war a while ago, the general leading the Austrian forces was mortally wounded. Back at the field hospital, they removed his sash, and the blood soaked white shirt underneath was removed and waved over the army to rally the troops to victory, hence, the red-white-red (rot-weiss-rot), they currently have. Again, I thought it was a boring flag until I read the story. 

Flag_of_Austria.png

• Like 2

On 9/4/2016 at 6:49 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This is a great shot. I would have to concede that this justifies the departure from vexillological guidelines.

Though I would be morally remiss if I did not suggest one fanciful improvement to the flag of this place that was for a long time a part of the Soviet Union:

Estonia flag modified.png

Not sure the Estonians would go for putting their former oppressors primary symbol on their flag.

• Like 3