Time to stop booing Gary Bettman

Thomas

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, ElwoodCuse said:

The NBA knew Donald Sterling was a racist for decades and didn't care. Silver only acted because enough of the public finally got mad. He's a scumbag who brought us jersey ads and wants to raise the NBA age limit to continue the scam that is college sports. F him.

I'm all for raising the age limit of players. One and done players are ruining the NBA and College Basketball. College teams used to have heated rivalries, but now you see players go to big name colleges only because they know in one year, they are guaranteed to be drafted instead of going to a four year school and get an education. Then people wonder why the NBA talent pool is diluted and there's an unbalance in talent. Kids, yeah KIDS are being drafted making millions and don't know how to handle themselves with their money or responsibilities. Go back and look at the last 10 NBA drafts and see how many busts have been drafted. There's not enough research to develop these kids.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

The NBA is taking the bullet for the other leagues.  Bettman was, as usual, stupid to say anything because adds will be on the uniforms in a few years, unless it backfires on the NBA (merchandise sales?  some other revenue loss?  constant negative reaction from fans/media?  Really, I cannot fathom how it could backfire). Bettman's stance means they are not walking right through the door that the NBA opened.  But you can bet they'll be watching how things go in the NBA.  Hockey jerseys are a bigger part of the sport's/league's image than basketball jerseys.  But I don't see that being enough to change things...our only hope is the NBA's adds failing for some reason and I don't see how that can happen.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

21 minutes ago, the admiral said:

That's not blind hate.

Did the lockouts suck?!  Yes, absolutely.  

Was the NHL in good shape without the financial restructuring?  Nope, not even close.  

Bettman and the NHLPA had to work together to fix it.  Yet Bettman gets 100% of the blame.  Unfairly. 

Lockout II, the most defensible of the three, happened because Bettman himself made such a hash of Lockout I that Ed Snyder and Mike Ilitch had to swoop in and negotiate a collective bargaining agreement that ended up being beneficial to Ed Snyder and Mike Ilitch. Lockout III was not necessary.

At any rate, hockey fans like to watch hockey, and generally will not look favorably upon the people who take it away. Also, if you think "their local greedy sports hero" is an unsympathetic character in a work stoppage, meet Jeremy Jacobs.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

17 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

I know Bettman is unpopular, but I think Goodell pretty much usurped the crown of worst commish in the last couple years.

I don't know. This would rival the 2016 presidential race for lesser of two evils. 

5 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

May as well just have Donald Fehr hand over the Cup.  Maybe he would show up on time, but more than likely he would be a few months late. 

Donald Fehr ? How about President Donald Trump ?

He obviously won't be too happy handing over something to a Canadian team......But then again, we all know that´s never gonna happen anyway !  :D

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

What about it? It's a waste of time and so are the Olympics. I don't care which side of Buffalo a guy grew up on.

Olympics are a waste of time ??

It´s the only event where you see athletes break down in tears of happiness after only finishing 2nd or 3rd !

Olympics are not a made up 90´s event, it ´s tradition and human history !  

They have worked and trained hard for 4 years, many of them don't even get paid to play the sport they are participating in, and have to have a real 9 to 5 job.

Then of course you have the countries that reward gold medal winners with money if they win a gold medal, that is disgusting. 

The chinese being the worst with promising winners lifelong pensions, and of course the torture schools they put small children in, traning 12 hours a day, to win medals for their country.

Hmm, looks like the Olympics are not that innocent as i first claimed :D  

13 hours ago, the admiral said:

He has a busy schedule advocating for people whose job incurs head trauma.

I'd buy that if that was a negotiating point, at all.  It wasn't.

It was all about the money, and the players wanting more than 50% of HRR.  Without footing any of the bill.  

Part of their salary was held in escrow and not refunded if revenue wasn't commensurate, which happened more often than not. Other than that, I'm not sure what kind of "footing the bill" you expect of labor.

28 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Part of their salary was held in escrow and not refunded if revenue wasn't commensurate, which happened more often than not. Other than that, I'm not sure what kind of "footing the bill" you expect of labor.

I'm not sure why you think the players deserved more than half of revenue...   We all knew a 50/50 split was coming yet the players held out negotiating, cutting into their season and taking away hockey from the fans.   

Both the 2004 and 2012 lockouts had a very predictable outcome, the players choose to drag it out.  

Who the hell sides with the billionaires in "Millionaires vs. Billionaires"? Do you root for the Empire in Star Wars? 

Weren't you suspended for actions in a previous conversation identical to this one?

PvO6ZWJ.png

I dunno, there's nothing really suspendable about this healthy li'l give-and-take, he's just wrong. Lockout III was about Proskauer Rose doing for the NHL what it had just done for the NFL and NBA a year prior, which was to scale back labor's share of revenue. Obviously, the NHL was gonna get in on that, but let's not make it anything remotely existential on par with Lockout II (other than for the Coyotes, maybe).

Archived